Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone,

When I bought my van (used, in a local garage) a few month ago, the seller told me it had the limited slip diff.. After I got the vehicle I went to the Ford dealer for the warranty tranfer and asked for a report of the options taken by the original owner (available with the VIN).. and to my surprise (kinda.. I'm not a big fan of car sellers so this kind of "surprise" was somehow expected I guess..) there was no limited slip.

Fortunately I managed to put some pressure on the seller and they told me "ok, leave us until august, we'll find a limited slip diff and will install it, and if we can't find a used Transit with the limited slip to "just swap the rear axle" we'll buy a new diff" (they agreed for an Eaton TrueTrac in that case).

So last week I called them to have a status on that (of course they didn't call..) and they told me the managed to find a van with the limited slip, and they will swap the rear axle next week. I'd have prefer if they didn'd find it so I could get the Eaton but at least I'll have what I paid for, so I won't complain !

My question here is : considering my vision of most mechanics / car sellers being crooks, how could I make sure the diff they install is actually a limited slip ? it probably won't be open, so exterior check only... part number written somewhere maybe ?

thanks for any help.
Ben

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
For what it's worth:
After opening up my rear diff to replace a leak problem since delivery, the tech told me he refilled the diff and added a bottle of LS clutch lubricant. Since it was a custom order van, I told him I did not order or pay for a limited slip. He insisted I had one. The GM eventually came out with the printout for VIN showing I had a standard differential. I then asked if the clutch additive would harm a regular diff. Of course the answer was no.

To be honest I don't know for sure who was right - the tech who had his head inside the diff, or the Ford ETIS sheet from the Factory?

Sent from my ASUS_Z00TD using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
To be honest I don't know for sure who was right - the tech who had his head inside the diff, or the Ford ETIS sheet from the Factory?
I'd believe the tech. I have the cargo wall protection package that I did not order and did not pay for nor listed on the order sheet.

Ben, there are others who will answer your specific question I'm sure. I don't know much about diffs other than agreeing that most mech/dealers are crooks. As are most professions including doctors. Just different proportions of crooks in the profession.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If it can help other users, there's a tag on the rear axle, just near the differential.

Since I just swapped the full rear axle from another transit (crashed) i can tell you that :
mine was tagged "3C73", meaning 3.73 ratio, NON-Limited slip
The new one is 3L73, 3.73 ratio, Limited Slip

I believe the same number methodology would work with other ratios..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.