1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
8,098 Posts
I saw an article on Ford Motor Authority or whatever. I didn't read it because I wouldn't be buying one of these "last mile" delivery vans. IF any were available to the general public; I think the delivery companies are going to buy all of them up and also all the production time for them for the next few years.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I saw an article on Ford Motor Authority or whatever. I didn't read it because I wouldn't be buying one of these "last mile" delivery vans. IF any were available to the general public; I think the delivery companies are going to buy all of them up and also all the production time for them for the next few years.
Agreed. We can all dream of electric Transits though.

On a positive note, maybe the big corporations can work out the kinks.

·
Registered
8,098 Posts
How about a hydrogen Transit with electric drivetrain? It might be big enough to house all the required equipment. Hydrogen EV works great in buses.

·
Registered
2017 Transit T250 3.7L. 148wb magnetic
2,152 Posts
In the future when are gasoline engines die out are vans would be good candidates for
a electric engine conversion , a less sophisticated system then the Ford's system , more like a
more basic controller + electric motor + batteries.
Wouldn't take much to make it drivable .

·
Registered
8,098 Posts
In the future when are gasoline engines die out are vans would be good candidates for
a electric engine conversion , a less sophisticated system then the Ford's system , more like a
more basic controller + electric motor + batteries.
Wouldn't take much to make it drivable .
There are already retrofit elec motors, and I suspect some modern garage tinkerers will come up with apps and Arduino/Raspberry Pi hardware to allow interface via smartphone or tablet to control, modify and tweak elec drivetrains. After this wild west of research and development, I think we'll settle down into industrialization and standards, allowing interconnectivity and swapping of components to an extent. You know, like sticking a Chevy 350 V8 in about anything; especially an Opel GT.
Wheel Car Tire Automotive parking light Land vehicle

·
Registered
3,904 Posts
It will all be self driving cars one day soon, And you will not own the car anymore. They will all be lease vehicles repaired by the car companies. Collectors of old cars that you can drive will have to be driven on off road tracks.
That reality is probably less then fifty years away.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts