Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I am considering a winch mounted on a receiver. Mostly I just want to be able to give myself a little tug if stuck and of course lend a helping hand if someone else gets stuck. We aren't going to be doing crazy 4WD stuff. I have been reading about the various pros and cons.

Pros:
Less weight up front all the time.
Can use fore and aft.
Less expensive than a full front winch.

Cons:
Approach angle. (But I wouldn't leave it on all the time)
Not as good for side pulls.
Heavy to move around.
Can't use as powerful a winch.

I think I would not drive around with it mounted and just pull it out when needed. I would go with synthetic line to save weight. I am wondering if anyone out there has any experience or opinions on receiver mounted winches? I am getting a Quadvan conversion in May and might get them to install a front receiver while I am there.

Thanks!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hi All,

I am considering a winch mounted on a receiver. Mostly I just want to be able to give myself a little tug if stuck and of course lend a helping hand if someone else gets stuck. We aren't going to be doing crazy 4WD stuff. I have been reading about the various pros and cons.

Pros:
Can use fore and aft.

Cons:
Heavy to move around.

I think I would not drive around with it mounted and just pull it out when needed. I would go with synthetic line to save weight. I am wondering if anyone out there has any experience or opinions on receiver mounted winches? I am getting a Quadvan conversion in May and might get them to install a front receiver while I am there.

Thanks!
There have been some posts on overheating of the Ecoboosts when front air flow is partially blocked by a winch. So a front receiver mount sounds like good idea to for the flexibility to remove the winch when not in use.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
I have used boat trailer winches on a receiver mount twice before, They worked great for pulling small 1,500 pound vehicles backwards out of the mud.
I used the smaller sized winches because they were all I needed, But they do sell larger models for use with bigger boats.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
^^^ this^^^ easy to store, just as easy to hook up when needed.
I carry a quality 4 ton come-a-long with 50' of 12k # steel rope in a box that is maybe 12" w x 24" l x 4" d. I've pulled my hopelessly stuck 4x4 4500 lb tractor out with it. Pretty confident it will get Travelin' Van out of a sticky situation.
It does lack the cool factor of a winch though.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I carry a quality 4 ton come-a-long with 50' of 12k # steel rope in a box that is maybe 12" w x 24" l x 4" d. I've pulled my hopelessly stuck 4x4 4500 lb tractor out with it. Pretty confident it will get Travelin' Van out of a sticky situation.
I'll second this. I have a fancy-schmancy version of this in my van. It's a 3-ton Wyeth-Scott More Power Puller with synthetic winch line. 26 lbs. of insurance with no reliance on expensive infrastructure. It can also be used for a multitude of jobs around the garage, homestead, farm, etc.

I carry it in a bag along with my Warn 88900 Medium Duty Recovery Kit, and Factor 55 HitchLink.

Craig

·
Registered
499 Posts
When Transit is stuck, it probably needs more than a 4-ton come-a-long unless you can use multiple pulleys. I think it would be easier to carry a couple of traction boards and a jack will be easier. IT will be far more effective to get yourself to get out a bad situation. After stuck for a few times, you will learn soon enough that when to back out and find another path. I am speaking as an avid rock crawl wheeler.

Just remember, Transit is not designed as an expedition vehicle. Yes, you can put a winch on its front and back to look cool and as a good conversation piece in the parking lot.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When Transit is stuck, it probably needs more than a 4-ton come-a-long unless you can use multiple pulleys. I think it would be easier to carry a couple of traction boards and a jack will be easier. IT will be far more effective to get yourself to get out a bad situation. After stuck for a few times, you will learn soon enough that when to back out and find another path. I am speaking as an avid rock crawl wheeler.

Just remember, Transit is not designed as an expedition vehicle. Yes, you can put a winch on its front and back to look cool and as a good conversation piece in the parking lot.
Oh, I am under no illusions that the Transit is an expedition vehicle, even with the 4WD conversion. The incident described above is an exception for me, I have been exploring the middle of nowhere for decades in 2WD vehicles and this is only the second time I have gotten stuck. But I am getting older, dumber and my reaction time is slowing down. So I am looking for a little more insurance.

I think the traction boards and a better jack than stock is a good idea. I'll look into that.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Am I going senile?

I posted earlier, making some comments and questions to some of the posts. I described how I got stuck in the desert this fall. That post has disappeared. I got a PM from tthrsn saying I had posted in the wrong thread, with no explanation of which thread and I was not allowed to reply. Then I see my post has gone away. Any ideas what is up with that or how to get the post restored?

Looking at the traction mats, things sure have changed. I think mats may be the most appropriate for me. I don't need bridges for sure. Sand, and shallow mud or snow is where I might get into trouble. I won't be fording rivers, playing in deep mud or snow. Anyone use mats that they like?

Thanks!

·
Registered
499 Posts
No punch intended for my reply above. I just spoke with practicality in terms of ease of use, reliability, and safety. Even with synthetic rope instead of steel cable, a winch is dangerous, **** heavy, not easy to set up, wastes a lot of space when storing in a vehicle. You need to bring a lot of other stuff to make it work. Of course, you need to find a tree, assuming you have a tree saver. If you are lucky to find a tree, you will need a snatch block and extra-long cable.

I use my winch as the last resource.
Edited: my transit has no winch, the winch is installed on my purposely build rock crawler Jeep.

Winch sucks lots of AMP, cables to the winch at the receiver from the engine bay will be a long one. No one knows more than you know yourself, I trust that you will make the best solution for your need here.

Reactions: Boondox

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
it's official. I am senile. Here is what I meant to post here earlier:

Thanks for the replies and possibly the sanity check. I do carry a decent come-along (made in USA, can't remember rating) and 50' of low stretch rescue rope. I'll check the rating when I get home, I'm part way through a 48 hour shift. Maybe doubling down on that type of gear is a better option. How well do the chain hoists do on their sides and odd angles? I have only ever used one as an engine hoist and that was aa chain fall, not a hoist with a lever. Which tolerates sand, dust, mud, etc. the best?

One thing that interested me about a winch, aside from the cool factor, is the longer pull length. I got stuck in the Borrego Badlands this fall in a sand pit and it took 3 almost 100' pulls from a kind person with a winch to get us out. Mind you, that is a rare circumstance and we don't generally do things that get us that stuck. It was one of those things: I knew I was in trouble and that if I let off the gas I would be stuck. I was hoping the road would improve, in denial, regretting my judgment, trying to figure out what to do and all the while kept on going until I was 100 yards in. Operator error for sure, should have let off immediately and would have had much less distance back to something hard.

On a related not, I see that the come-along linked has a synthetic line option. Anyone here ever used some? I never have.

·
Registered
499 Posts
We all are senile more often than not. ....hahaaaa.

When driving in the sand, air down is your friend. I often air down 8 to 12 psi. Momentum and steady gas panel are the keys, and never let the wheels spin and take off the gas immediately. Put it in reverse and back up a few feet and try again. If it does not work, turn around and get out.

If you happen to stop on the sand, always go reverse for a few feet first and then forward.

If traction board and jack fail to help, I doubt a come-a-long will help. Transit is way too heavy.

Reactions: Boondox

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I did air down. I dug and found rocks for a traction mat of sorts. No joy. I just got myself into deep sand/trouble. With 4WD I believe I could have gotten out myself. The real problem was operator error. I dunno about y'all but I have been the architect of pretty much all of my problems in life. I do think a real traction board would have helped. One of the tough things about that situation was getting turned around. The sides of the road were almost as bad as the road itself. We hooked the van to a 4Runner and managed to get turned around but bogged down just before we got back on the road. We hooked a jeep to the 4Runner attached to the van and got as far as where we had gotten stuck in the first place. Then we had to winch.

Good thing Dream Girl is awesome and calm in a situation. Love that woman...

·
Registered
2,955 Posts

Thanks for the replies and possibly the sanity check. I do carry a decent come-along (made in USA, can't remember rating) and 50' of low stretch rescue rope. I'll check the rating when I get home, I'm part way through a 48 hour shift. Maybe doubling down on that type of gear is a better option. How well do the chain hoists do on their sides and odd angles? I have only ever used one as an engine hoist and that was aa chain fall, not a hoist with a lever. Which tolerates sand, dust, mud, etc. the best?

One thing that interested me about a winch, aside from the cool factor, is the longer pull length. I got stuck in the Borrego Badlands this fall in a sand pit and it took 3 almost 100' pulls from a kind person with a winch to get us out. Mind you, that is a rare circumstance and we don't generally do things that get us that stuck. It was one of those things: I knew I was in trouble and that if I let off the gas I would be stuck. I was hoping the road would improve, in denial, regretting my judgment, trying to figure out what to do and all the while kept on going until I was 100 yards in. Operator error for sure, should have let off immediately and would have had much less distance back to something hard.

On a related not, I see that the come-along linked has a synthetic line option. Anyone here ever used some? I never have.
Lever hoists work at any angle, Lever hoists work upside down. Lever hoists work in dirt and mud, I have never tried one in sand.
There are lower cost versions, I just wanted a good one because sometimes I use the lever hoist to lift heavy objects out of the way so I can work underneath them.

Chain Falls are dangerous if your fingers are in the wrong place, Your fingers can get pulled into the hoist while operating it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
When Transit is stuck, it probably needs more than a 4-ton come-a-long
You have to know when to stop trying to drive out and start the rescue. It's a lot earlier in the game than most realize. Anchor points and snatch blocks would be critical to success.

A Transit sitting on its frame in a sand pit would require a crap ton of effort and good fortune to extract with the gear I carry. For the type of stuck I'll get in Travelin' Van it's a good set up for the space it consumes.

I've been getting all kinds of machines stuck for longer than I care to remember. You learn early, if you have to unstick yourself, not to drive in so deep your rescue gear can't extract your equipment.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
When there is no tree's to hook your winch or lever hoist to, You use a Ground Anchor. The ones I have are Korean war army surplus which you hammer in the ground with a sledge hammer to get them started digging in.
There are many different types on the market, Here is one.

·
Registered
2018 Ford Transit 350XLT 148 MR 3.5 Eco Boos Tow pkg 3.31 LS 12 Pass
7 Posts
Hi All,

Pros:
Can use fore and aft.

Cons:
Heavy to move around.

Thanks!
Harbot

·
Registered
2018 Ford Transit 350XLT 148 MR 3.5 Eco Boos Tow pkg 3.31 LS 12 Pass
7 Posts
I’d go to Harborv Freight. They’re winches are great for occasilnal use and they sell a mount designed to go into a receiver.

I used one of their winches and fabricated my own mount before I knew they sold one that was plug-and-play.

Its inevitable to get stuck in the sand. Being able to move it front or rear or sometimes it’s better to hook it up to somebody else’s truck depending upon angles in clients and such.

Uusing jumper cables to power the winch on abother vehicle is not recommended, but neither is burying your rig and sitting for hours.
It’ll get you home.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts