Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
PS: the recall shows up as a "Field Service Action" once logged into owner.ford.com. The title for the FSA is "TRAILER MODULE FUSE AND FOOTWELL DRAINAGE HOLE". Essentially no other information is provided. Perhaps I'll call my dealer.

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. I guess we know where the module is located now. It'd be nice if they'd release something (maybe a TSB later) showing where to drill the drainage hole. So that I don't have to have the dealer do it.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I was just in yesterday and nothing was mentioned. I like that it says to not park it inside, but since it is getting wet then outside is not good either????

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They don't want you to park it inside the garage because it could spontaneously combust and set your house on fire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
433 Posts
I'm going to assume that the water intrusion needs to be massive (in order to need a drain hole) - like driving through a flooded street? (Instead of "turn around, don't drown" maybe Transit owners need to hear "Turn, don't burn"??) But doesn't drilling a hole in the step guarantee water intrusion in the event of driving through deep water?

I have an appointment today with our local Ford dealer, to "register" Gracie with them, have them look at the giubo, and do an early oil change - we've only got about 600+ miles on the van, but we want to switch over to synthetic oil. I'll ask about the tow wiring issue, too - although they may not even be aware of this yet?

·
Registered
781 Posts
I'll ignore this recall, since I installed the tow module myself it's likely to take a lot of explaining why my van is included. I can also very easily drill a drain hole myself, would take a lot less time than dropping it off for 3 days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Can't buy my Transit!

Went to the dealership on Tuesday to buy myself a 148 HR. Was told they couldn't sell it to me with an open recall. Apparently the dealer doesn't have parts and has no ETA to have it fixed. Put a deposit down and am now waiting.

Ford's recall notice says "Status: 12 - RECALL INCOMPLETE. REMEDY NOT YET AVAILABLE."

·
Registered
469 Posts
Went to the dealership on Tuesday to buy myself a 148 HR. Was told they couldn't sell it to me with an open recall. Apparently the dealer doesn't have parts and has no ETA to have it fixed. Put a deposit down and am now waiting.

Ford's recall notice says "Status: 12 - RECALL INCOMPLETE. REMEDY NOT YET AVAILABLE."
That's likely the driveshaft recall. This recall wasn't in the system yet. See this thread: http://www.fordtransitusaforum.com/ford-transit-general-discussion/48225-driveshaft-recall.html They should now have priority for a replacement driveshaft so they can fix then sell the vehicle to you. Your dealer might not know about that so remind them.

·
Registered
5,503 Posts
That step area was a notorious hidden rust spot on the T1N Sprinters. Most owners drilled their own hole after inspecting and finding moisture and rust underneath that perfectly fine looking plastic cover.

Panicky owners: don't be panicked. Catching on fire is a worse case scenario and has happened to less than 1% of Transits equipped with the tow package, maybe less than one tenth of one percent.

·
Registered
19 Posts
That's likely the driveshaft recall. This recall wasn't in the system yet. See this thread: http://www.fordtransitusaforum.com/ford-transit-general-discussion/48225-driveshaft-recall.html They should now have priority for a replacement driveshaft so they can fix then sell the vehicle to you. Your dealer might not know about that so remind them.
I'll have to check with the dealer. The recall was announced Monday, and I went in to buy on Tuesday. Using the recall lookup on Ford's site, the tow module is the only one that shows up. Either way, hope it gets cleared up soon. I needs me a Transit! :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Also - i think it's a pretty impressive feat of engineering that Ford found a way to burn down a vehicle with something as benign as the amount of 12v power going through a tow module. Not sure I could do that if I tried.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Also - i think it's a pretty impressive feat of engineering that Ford found a way to burn down a vehicle with something as benign as the amount of 12v power going through a tow module. Not sure I could do that if I tried.
benign? you can use a 12 volt battery to weld steel, and with actual arc welding machines the weld voltage is only a few volts higher.
in the past i once repaired an industrial water cooled spot welding machine that spot welded at 1 1/2 volts DC at 420,000 amps.

·
Registered
469 Posts
The trailer Aux power wire isn't small. Usually used for charging batteries on the trailer, or supplying loads like interior lights.

benign? you can use a 12 volt battery to weld steel, and with actual arc welding machines the weld voltage is only a few volts higher.
in the past i once repaired an industrial water cooled spot welding machine that spot welded at 1 1/2 volts DC at 420,000 amps.
Two to three 12 VDC batteries in series makes a good arc welder. Just add cables, clamps, and welding rod. Nice small emergency welding kit for use in the boonies. The cables can also be used for jump starts.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts