Ford Transit USA Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts
My 2020 cargo came with the front speakers only (but is otherwise a high option van...sync 3, navi, etc.), after reading the BEMM I figured adding rear speakers was as simple as hooking them up.

Not quite.

Between the BEMM and the FSM I dug around and initially opted to grab the speaker wires near each tail light (both left and right are present at each respective location.

There's a separate diagram for 6 and 8 speaker trucks. I figured I had the wiring for a 6 speaker truck as there was no wiring at the mid location.

I was wrong. Apparently I have the main harness for an 8 speaker truck but without the mid location harnesses.

There's a connector for a harness to go forward from the spot between the taillight and wheel arch that serves the mid speakers and sliding door stuff, and other goodies like power running boards. If you have the 8 speaker wiring but only intend to run 6 speakers, you need to shunt the speaker wires together either here or at the taillight connector, as they're wired in series and won't work without both pairs of speakers.

Trouble was I'd already buried those connectors behind cabinets and toolboxes and the prospect of unbolting everything to dig them out was unappealing.

So I grabbed both pairs of rear speaker wires directly from the harness right before it exits the raceway and slides down the rear left side of the van body.

Got all that hooked up. .. no audio, and no fader on the head unit. . . not as easy was just hooking them up, it seems.

Next problem was turning that on in the ACM.

Quick live data view of the ACM with a generic scan tool showed it was set to "rear speakers: disable".

View attachment 153994

Fired up FDRS, bought another 2 day pass ($50, but I had another keypad I needed to program anyway) and thought this was gonna be a cakewalk when I found the "enable the rear speakers" function right under the ACM.

View attachment 153995

Downloaded and ran it. . . failed. Not possible with this VIN.
Ran it again. . . failed.
Tried the "configuration" and "programmable module installation" functions. . .no change.

Apparently Ford sent my van out with upfitter package and 8 speaker wiring and but blocked the option off in the ACM to ever enable them.

Ok, no big deal. . .there's always Forscan (which I've never used).

Downloaded it, ran it, it happily recognized all the modules on the truck, even the ACM. . . but had the scary hex editor screen instead of the friendly options toggle screen for the ACM.

Bit of googling, another user on here had the same issue.

Followed FordTC2021's instructions, changed one single block of code to 0001, puckered up and sent it.

View attachment 153997

Cycled the ignition and was elated to finally have THIS screen and functional rear speakers!

View attachment 153996
Any chance you have pictures of the wiring steps?

Hi - I finished installing better rear speakers in my 2020 Ford Transit yesterday and thought I'd post a couple pics to help anyone else trying to find the wiring. I did order the 6-speaker package with the van, so it came with (crappy) rear speakers, but in a location in the bottom of the rear doors that will be under the bed platform, so I moved the location to the back of the headliner above our heads (idea stolen from Far Out Ride's helpful blog post).

For the left (driver side) rear speaker, there is harness LK4T-14A333 just inside the rear opening above the wheel well on the driver side:
View attachment 144846

View attachment 144847

It comes as a loop with the the two wires closest to the edge of the harness plug as the source from the radio looped to the two wires closest to the middle of the harness plug that go to the speaker in the rear door. When you cut the loop, it disconnects the existing rear speaker, and you can connect the new speaker to the two wires closest to the edge. For the left side, White/Green is the +, Brown/Yellow is the -.

View attachment 144848

For the right (passenger side) rear speaker, there is a larger harness right at the lower rear-most opening by the back door.

View attachment 144850

It has a bunch of other wires - but also a similar loop of larger speaker wires like on the other side. Trim the loom down enough to pull out that loop (careful not to cut any of the wires). Similar to other side: It comes as a loop with the the two wires closest to the edge of the harness plug as the source from the radio looped to the two wires closest to the middle of the harness plug that go to the speaker in the rear door. For the right side, Brown/White is the +, and Brown/Blue is the -.

Hope this helps - even with all the helpful posts on rear speakers, it took me a while to figure out where I could patch in!

View attachment 144851

Headliner speaker success! Or at least once the aftermarket grills arrive, it will be done - I found out some speakers don't come with grills. :-0 Anyway, they sound way better than the factor speakers.
Thanks for sharing!

I want to add 2 speakers, but keep the rear door speakers operational.
Is that what you did? Or did you disconnect the factory rear door speakers?

Hi, I have a 2020 cargo van 250 converted to a camper with the basic 4" audio head unit (no sync, no NAV) activated to power only the four front speakers. My van did not come with rear speakers, so I installed "rear speakers" in the headliner (Thanks FarOut Ride!) to the appropriate rear speaker wires in the head unit. The new speakers did not come on as expected and so I came to this forum for answers. It is not clear to me what changes I make to the code for my basic van audio unit. Unless I'm missing something, I see all the solutions are for radios different than mine. Any suggestions?

I used the Forscan program and hoped to make the necessary code changes with it. I ran into this roadblock when presented with the "As Built" codes but, I had no guidance/spreadsheet to follow that would help me change the specific block of code for my specific audio head unit. I had hoped that I could make the correct changes under a not "As Built" row but that wasn't an option for me like it is on many other Ford models. I tried my local Ford dealer and the techs there didn't know how to do it either.

not surprising - Ford makes a lot of money charging people for the option to have all the speakers. If there was a well documented way to turn it on after the fact for the cost of a few wires and a few speakers - fewer people would pay for the option

Hello all
I recently got a new 2022 transit 250 with front speaker only, I added 2 rear speakers from my old Transit 2015. I used Forscan to enable rear speaker fader enable, I got it, but the rear speaker is only playing at right and not playing at left. I wondering if this result is a configuration in forscan settings or it's only a wiring issue? look at my forscan screen capture.

Attachments

Hi there Ativan. Would you mind to help me out here? I cannot seem to get the speaker to work when tapped the wires that you suggest in the pictures below. I put a temporary small speaker on that wiring and nothing. I have some questions typed under the pictures below with maybe you could take a look and answer my questions please?

Hi - I finished installing better rear speakers in my 2020 Ford Transit yesterday and thought I'd post a couple pics to help anyone else trying to find the wiring. I did order the 6-speaker package with the van, so it came with (crappy) rear speakers, but in a location in the bottom of the rear doors that will be under the bed platform, so I moved the location to the back of the headliner above our heads (idea stolen from Far Out Ride's helpful blog post).

For the left (driver side) rear speaker, there is harness LK4T-14A333 just inside the rear opening above the wheel well on the driver side: Mine did not have this tag :( However the colors seem to match and this plug looks the same as yours.
View attachment 144846

View attachment 144847
It comes as a loop with the the two wires closest to the edge of the harness plug as the source from the radio looped to the two wires closest to the middle of the harness plug that go to the speaker in the rear door. When you cut the loop, it disconnects the existing rear speaker, and you can connect the new speaker to the two wires closest to the edge. For the left side, White/Green is the +, Brown/Yellow is the -.
I clipped on to the source wiring above and i dont get any sound from my test speaker?? Do I use the source positive and negative or the other ones that say to the rear door speaker?
Can you explain what the loop means please ? Maybe I'm on the wrong side of the loop?

View attachment 144848

For the right (passenger side) rear speaker, there is a larger harness right at the lower rear-most opening by the back door.

View attachment 144850

It has a bunch of other wires - but also a similar loop of larger speaker wires like on the other side. Trim the loom down enough to pull out that loop (careful not to cut any of the wires). Similar to other side: It comes as a loop with the the two wires closest to the edge of the harness plug as the source from the radio looped to the two wires closest to the middle of the harness plug that go to the speaker in the rear door. For the right side, Brown/White is the +, and Brown/Blue is the -. So this I found is as well in the same location, however mine was attached as a feed through with a plug male and female end harness unlike the other side was just the receptacle end. Maybe I can't see yours in the picture as you have it unplugged? And I did use the brown and white positive and the brown and blue negative I can't get my test speaker to work this is just a factory system with no rear speakers. I assume this is the wiring for the speakers prepped for future and should work?? Not sure what I'm doing wrong. Trying to hook up a JBL Bass Pro Go set up. I just want to be sure that a little test speaker would work first.

Hope this helps - even with all the helpful posts on rear speakers, it took me a while to figure out where I could patch in!

View attachment 144851

Headliner speaker success! Or at least once the aftermarket grills arrive, it will be done - I found out some speakers don't come with grills. :-0 Anyway, they sound way better than the factor speakers.
Nice Job BTW ;)

Oh, that is AWESOME, thank you!!! Every time I have to walk around from the passenger side slider to the driver side to unlock it, I get frustrated. You made my day.
Other option I did was to peel the keypad off the driver door and reattached it to the passenger door as this is a much more useful spot right next to slider. It is just 3M pressure sensitive adhesive and removed using fishing line and replaced with same 3M tape available everywhere. If you can tell your dealer to put it on the passenger door before they install it as a dealer installed item that is even better.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts