Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the forum and saw my first Transit yesterday (a cargo). From reading here and talking to my salesman, I understand the rear bench can't be removed.

Does anyone know if the seat backs can fold forward and lay flat so that things can be stacked on top? I think the eight passenger standard length mid roof will be best, but likely won't make much use of the rear bench.

·
Registered
44 Posts
All the rear seats are removable. I need to remove my seats to do some testing this weekend. I will take pictures.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
that's a good thread.

i think one of the best things that can be done about these are including seats that make it ease as possible to move around in any configuration someone that owns a vehicle like this would need

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks dado. The ultimate hope is that the seat can be easily removed. There have been conflicting reports where it seems like some seats can and some can't be removed via levers. If so, not sure how Ford decides that.

I can't believe this isn't documented somewhere.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Thanks dado. The ultimate hope is that the seat can be easily removed. There have been conflicting reports where it seems like some seats can and some can't be removed via levers. If so, not sure how Ford decides that.

I can't believe this isn't documented somewhere.
See pp. 102 et seq. of this PDF of the Owner's Manual:

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/F...-Owners-Manual-version-3_om_EN-US_10_2014.pdf

In other threads, it has been shown that the forward rows of bench seats can be removed by using a screwdriver to mimic the Quick Release handles shown here, and dado6 has confirmed on the Actual Delivery . . . thread that the seat brackets in the floor are recessed after removal of the bench seats.

http://www.fordtransitusaforum.com/...6-actual-delivery-custom-ordered-transit.html

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Peter. From the manual, it looks like only seats from 12 and 15 passenger versions are meant to be removable - my guess is only for the configurations where one is left with little cargo space (standard length 12 seat or mid length 15). My presumption then is the rear seat on the 8 seat variant lacks levers.

I find it funny that there is a warning about placing things on a folded seat since those items can become projectiles in a crash. As if items in the cargo area can't become projectiles? For real safety a cage or other bulkhead is necessary.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Thanks Peter. From the manual, it looks like only seats from 12 and 15 passenger versions are meant to be removable - my guess is only for the configurations where one is left with little cargo space (standard length 12 seat or mid length 15). My presumption then is the rear seat on the 8 seat variant lacks levers.

I find it funny that there is a warning about placing things on a folded seat since those items can become projectiles in a crash. As if items in the cargo area can't become projectiles? For real safety a cage or other bulkhead is necessary.
Good point those can indeed become projectiles, it's something that joins the list of funny things to take notice of in the auto industry, i have noticed my fair share :D

·
Registered
2,478 Posts

brianvanhouten posted a photo for using a screwdriver to mimic the quick release for taking out the other bench seats.

http://www.fordtransitusaforum.com/42225-post95.html

dado6 will confirm soon, I believe, that all bench seats are indeed removable, and that this issue can be put to rest . . .

http://www.fordtransitusaforum.com/...6-actual-delivery-custom-ordered-transit.html

·
Registered
52 Posts
There is certainly no doubt that product liability tort lawyers and vehicle manufacturing company lawyers are now part of the equation in vehicle design in recent years --- in some ways good and other ways just annoying.

We all know that all sorts of things can become projectiles inside a vehicle that stops abruptly. But tort lawyers will sue a company for making seats, just as one example, that can be folded flat to increase the chance that an 8ft stepladder laid flat on top of folded rear steats might fly into the back of the head of the driver in a front impact crash.

The auto companies try to protect themselves from possible product liability lawsuits by limiting our conveniences. It is the world we live in.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.