Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After removing the rear door covers to insulate inside, I found that the driver side door had no plastic barrier, but the passenger side did.

For those that have taken off their covers, can you help me confirm that this is missing or just how they build them?

2021 HR Ext if that matters. Also, I've now finished insulating both front driver, front passenger, and slider door and they all had a plastic moisture barrier.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design Bumper

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design Bumper

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
Just a carry over from when the back up camera used to be mounted there on the 2015/16/17 models, The back up camera used to be mounted above the license plate. The plastic sheeting was there to keep the moisture out of the camera electronics when the door was open.

It is easy to peel off and put back on if you choose to keep it.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Often mentioned in the forum. There is no exterior "hole" in the unsealed door so no need for a barrier. The others have handle and key holes in them and a barrier.
Ah interesting. I view the body panel clips and all the holes they attach through as"openings" that may allow water into the door at some point.

Appreciate all the replies and everyone confirming this is standard build procedure!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Often mentioned in the forum. There is no exterior "hole" in the unsealed door so no need for a barrier. The others have handle and key holes in them and a barrier.
right.
Just a carry over from when the back up camera used to be mounted there on the 2015/16/17 models, The back up camera used to be mounted above the license plate. The plastic sheeting was there to keep the moisture out of the camera electronics when the door was open.

It is easy to peel off and put back on if you choose to keep it.
wrong.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Just messing with you. I believe I am right but really don't care. You believe your right and...

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's been quite easy to seal 95% of all the body panel clips from the inside with a small paintbrush and a can of Flexseal. The last 5% are in the corners in doors and a little tricky to get at, but do-able with a long brush.

Time will tell, but the stuff is thick enough to made a nice seal that it felt like a reasonable time investment.

Reactions: Michael Ophus

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
Sealing the water inside the doors causes the power windows and locks to stop working, There is a TSB from Ford about it.
Water causes corrosion in the electrical plug contacts nside the door.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts