Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, SO I ordered my transit and I'm now working out of it. I tow a trailer and notice a lot of sag in the rear axle. I was wandering if anyone in here is running a set of airbags on the rear? I am worried that by adding them it may not help the rear but cantilever the front higher. Ford does not recommend load leveling, and I;m not sure there is enough room. Just looking for thoughts before I diver deeper.

Thanks

·
Registered
280 Posts
Hello, SO I ordered my transit and I'm now working out of it. I tow a trailer and notice a lot of sag in the rear axle. I was wandering if anyone in here is running a set of airbags on the rear? I am worried that by adding them it may not help the rear but cantilever the front higher. Ford does not recommend load leveling, and I;m not sure there is enough room. Just looking for thoughts before I diver deeper.

Thanks
By load leveling, do you mean weight distribution hitch? Ford has removed the "do not recommend weight distribution hitch" wording. You can use a weight distribution hitch.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Per this thread with links.
As far as I can tell, they have removed the wdh restrictions from all the brichures on towing.

https://www.fordtransitusaforum.com/#/topics/75900

Besides, the tongue weight limit is not based on the SAE standards. It is based on the artificial 10% of trailer weight rule.
Thus why we get 470 lbs tongue weight with a 3.7l vs 500 lbs for a 3.5l on a transit 150 wagon.....same wagon.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks jdybvik. My owners manual still says they are not recommended.

No Thanks to gapruner. I tried several options and didn't find much. Apparently I don't speak search. Those things and I don't always get along.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I may not have been exactly accurate about the 10% rule.

Per SAE

4.4.2.8 Hitch Ball Position (Conventional Trailers)
The ball mount and hitch ball installation should be such as to maintain a level trailer attitude within ±1.0 degree from
horizontal or within 25 mm of ball height, whichever is greater. A digital inclinometer may be used to measure the angularity
of the trailer frame midway between the trailer coupler and the wheel(s) centerline. The trailer frame angle is then added to
or subtracted from the ground plane angle to determine the trailer attitude. Alternatively, presuming a continuous section
height frame, the height of the trailer frame relative to the ground should be measured at a point near the ball and just
behind the rear-most axle, and the pitch angle calculated.

4.4.2.4 Trailer Tongue Weight (Conventional Trailers)
Ballast should be applied to the trailer in a distributed manner such that the trailer tongue weight is 10% of total trailer weight
±0.5%, or ±5 kg (11 lb), whichever is greater, at a nominally level attitude as described in 4.4.2.8. This is intended to provide
a nominal longitudinal center of gravity (cg) position of the ballasted trailer that is 10% (of the effective tongue length)
forward of the trailer axle(s) centerline.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts