Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do not have a rear powerpoint, and I'm thinking about installing one, or maybe two, next to the back doors behind the last row of seats on a T350 15 passenger (since my rear seats will never be in there).

Does anyone know where the easiest place to pickup 12v wiring for these sockets is? I assume there's something behind the panel, but down low, up high, near the taillights? Wire color?

It would be great if they were on the same relay/fuse (49?) as the other outlets.

Hope this is not a redundant post, but I don't see this discussed anywhere yet.

·
Registered
5,969 Posts
I haven't checked back there, and since Ford won't release the wiring diagram (but you can BUY it from them for three digits...), I would just run 12ga from the battery compartment to the back. Either in the body cavity, or under the van using correct type wire designed for exposure.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ooo I hope not. Hoping to find something easier than that, mostly for kid's kindles and iPads when driving, so trying to avoid an entire wiring run. If nothing surfaces, I might do a little pioneering exploration in the next week or two. I'm betting that rear PP option wiring is around somewhere, I stumbled onto a Euro or Connect forum (can't remember) that said their 12v accessory lead is near right taillight.

Maybe we need to take up a group collection for that wiring diagram and start adding picture snapshots of it to different threads where relevant. We'd eventually have the whole thing on the forums. Haha.

·
Super Moderator
2,976 Posts
For my 12 passenger, I bought inexpensive USB/12v outlets (eBay link) and installed them in various locations.

For the driver's side, I pulled 12v from the CCP on the side of the driver's seat and made a distribution panel which I mounted behind the trim:

Both inverters also have USB ports on them.

·
Super Moderator
2,976 Posts
And there is one 60amp fuse feeding the 30 minute circuit which supplies the factory 12v outlets on 3 separate 20a fuses.

The beauty of the 30 minute circuit is that it powers the outlets among other things when the doors are unlocked or ignition, and remains active for 30 minutes after those events end. In other words, they power up as soon as you unlock the van, stay powered for the whole trip, remain powered while you run into a store, and shut off 30 minutes after you lock up your van in the driveway.

I chose to power mine through a relay that gets triggered by the lead from one of the front 12v outlets and also installed a lighted override switch in case I choose to leave them powered when the 30 minute circuit shuts down (say, while in a restaurant).

If you want to keep it simple, you could pull 12v+ from the 60a CCP stud on the driver's seat, put it through an inline 10a-20a fuse and then to your outlets under the trim down the driver's side. Ford recommends using an approved ground point, but I made my own old-school ground.

Attachments

·
Registered
437 Posts
On my 2015 Cargo, the $15 optional lighter plug was mounted on the lower forward passenger side of the D pillar (aft most one). If not different for passenger, pull of the trim near the bottom of the pillar and look for a single plug, with two wires in one connector in a "T" configuration. I would guess that the wiring harness will have the connector, even if you did not buy the plug. I only know this because I moved the plug to the center line side of the pillar and mounted it on the black plastic plugin near the bottom of the cargo van's pillar.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Asdrew, nice mods - I hope to get there someday, but looking for temporary triage for a road trip in the next two days.

Jethaden, exactly what I'm looking for, thanks.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hi,

I have used heavy duty 4 way outlets from Fry's Electronics (about $17) and Radio Shack.
I would avoid the 3 or 4 way outlets with built in USB or 12 volt voltage status LEDs since they tend to draw current all the time due to the circuitry that converts 12 volt to 5 volt for the USB port. and the status LED ones have circuit to give a green , yellow, or red (low voltage indication) which draws current all the time. Those type could run down battery over long time if van not used.

Also you can get 10 ft long 12 volt extension cords. What I have done is put a 4 way outlet up front power from dash outlet. Then just run the extension cord under the carpet to the left side. Install another 4 way outlet and repeat the process all the way back.
I use HD velcro to attach the outlet or mini bungee cords.

TA

·
Registered
256 Posts
Can anyone post a picture of th rear12v location? Are the stock looks plug and play? Is if I buy the factory powerpoint kit will there be facilities to plug it into the wiring harness?
thanks!

·
Super Moderator
2,976 Posts
Can anyone post a picture of th rear12v location? Are the stock looks plug and play? Is if I buy the factory powerpoint kit will there be facilities to plug it into the wiring harness?
thanks!
Putting this here too so it will show in this thread as well as the others (I added the dual USB ports):

·
Registered
44 Posts
I was wondering if anyone had luck finding another 12V access already pre-wired in the back of a passenger van. I want to add something to the back on the driver's side on my 2018 350XLT but have all the built in the way. If someone has a tip, that would save me a lot of time.

·
Registered
8 Posts
thanks!
Picture below of the rear 12V socket from a current post on the Ford Transit USA Owners facebook group.
Has anyone here added the rear 12V power point to their Transit, after delivery?
If so, what part numbers are required to do so?

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
I will have the factory wiring harness as well as the 12V socket available via Matt Ford in the next few days. When working with Ford to get the ones missing from 3 of our ordered 2020 Transits, I was able to get the company that makes the wiring harness as well as the socket with the outside cover.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I will have the factory wiring harness as well as the 12V socket available via Matt Ford in the next few days. When working with Ford to get the ones missing from 3 of our ordered 2020 Transits, I was able to get the company that makes the wiring harness as well as the socket with the outside cover.
Thank you CrewVanMan! please advise part numbers when available! or can we order directly from you? Can you confirm that rear socket is BK3Z-19N236-A?

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
I am getting together the parts to make a 12V Rear PowerPoint kit that you can add to your Transit. Ford was not showing the wiring harness as it is 'Made in the Philippines' so I found a source who could make one with the correct connectors and then get the correct socket from Ford. I am having 30 harness' made and I should have them in a few days. Then when the rest of the sockets get to the dealership, I will package a kit with a diagram for installation. The one problem may be if your Transit has the plug-in connector for the wiring harness. I will get a picture of the connector from the one on the van with the option on it and you will have to see if your van has that connector within the wiring harness.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am getting together the parts to make a 12V Rear PowerPoint kit that you can add to your Transit. Ford was not showing the wiring harness as it is 'Made in the Philippines' so I found a source who could make one with the correct connectors and then get the correct socket from Ford. I am having 30 harness' made and I should have them in a few days. Then when the rest of the sockets get to the dealership, I will package a kit with a diagram for installation. The one problem may be if your Transit has the plug-in connector for the wiring harness. I will get a picture of the connector from the one on the van with the option on it and you will have to see if your van has that connector within the wiring harness. View attachment 133854
FOUND IT! It's even easier than that. You need jumper BK3Z-14A411-E, and rear 12V socket BK3Z-19N236-A. It plugs into the connector which I suspected, on the outside of the passenger side D-pillar. 2017 Ford Transit Electrical Wiring - Body and Rear

·
Registered
72 Posts
I am getting together the parts to make a 12V Rear PowerPoint kit that you can add to your Transit. Ford was not showing the wiring harness as it is 'Made in the Philippines' so I found a source who could make one with the correct connectors and then get the correct socket from Ford. I am having 30 harness' made and I should have them in a few days. Then when the rest of the sockets get to the dealership, I will package a kit with a diagram for installation. The one problem may be if your Transit has the plug-in connector for the wiring harness. I will get a picture of the connector from the one on the van with the option on it and you will have to see if your van has that connector within the wiring harness. View attachment 133854
Just checking in on this effort CrewMan -- any update on what plugs to look for? I wish I would've added a rear powerpoint originally to our 2020..oh well.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
I got the wiring harness' yesterday and they look just like a factory one. Waiting on the socket as I got 2 different part numbers that look to be the same part once out of the package.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Just picked up 5 of the sockets from Matt Ford last week with the others backordered from vendor source so I should get them once they are sent to us. I am sending 3 sets to my Transit customers who ordered the option on their 2020 Transit but was not installed at the factory possibly due to the missing wiring harness from Philippines.

I will be putting the harness with the socket and instructions from the Ford Transit Wiring Diagrams booklet as a accessory available for sale once I get the special ordered boxes for shipping. I have plenty of the wiring harness' that I had produced from a Ford supplier in the USA and will have more of the sockets available from Ford once they get to Matt Ford.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm in the same boat. Ordered the 12V Power Port but it didn't come with the van. My dealer is willing to work with me to get the parts but doesn't know what it takes. I don't want to take it to the dealership because of the 2 hour drive and wait. But if this is just a plug and play deal I will happily do that myself. 2020 Transit EXT/HR model. Can you supply a parts list or pictures of what is required to correct this? Thanks.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts