1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
539 Posts
nice, always wondered how they transported these although i had a general idea it's good to see it in detail like what we're seeing here

·
Registered
169 Posts
More than 350 rail cars were modified. The floor of the second level was raised 26 inches. That effectively boosted the ceiling of the first floor to 116 inches, more than enough room so that seven Transits could be parked there. By making that change, the headroom in the top level of each rail car was reduced from 90 inches to 64 inches; smaller models such as the Focus, Fusion, Fiesta and Mustang will ride the rails up there, Grant said.
Seems like a pretty big cost to have to modify all of these rail cars in order to transport the transit. I guess there is nothing else that they could have done. I just wonder how other companies like Mercedes do to transport their tall vehicles. Do they already have tall rail cars?

·
Registered
640 Posts
Shows us they are commited to this design long term, and that the design will only improve
such as crew cab cargo or wagons for active famalies that dont need all the seats, but more than 2 seats
Bring it on!

·
Registered
539 Posts
Seems like a pretty big cost to have to modify all of these rail cars in order to transport the transit. I guess there is nothing else that they could have done. I just wonder how other companies like Mercedes do to transport their tall vehicles. Do they already have tall rail cars?
a flat bed tow truck might be good but when you're going long distance with one it doesn't make sense but at least with using one there's nothing you need to modify and that really is the only other option which now of course is a limited one.

yea but its a one time cost that now ford can use over the entire lifetime of the Transits.
exactly, a small investment that will go a long way in the future with the transit and maybe even with other vehicles.

·
Registered
185 Posts
We need a factory delivery progam. With the cost of delivery so high, you could hop on a plane and drive it back for less. You'd get to see some country at the same time.
Living in the rust belt I did that with my last 2 used cars. Plane ticket to TX, gas back to MI, and a hotel was only about $500. Worth it to avoid getting a rust bucket.

·
Registered
640 Posts
We need a factory delivery progam. With the cost of delivery so high, you could hop on a plane and drive it back for less. You'd get to see some country at the same time.
Living in the rust belt I did that with my last 2 used cars. Plane ticket to TX, gas back to MI, and a hotel was only about $500. Worth it to avoid getting a rust bucket.
Need to add the assembly line tour when its built. Its cool to see it go from a floor pan (sheetmetal) to driving of the line
Plus when you see it built,you know how to take it apart perfectly
I think you can order a new Porsche and follow YOUR vehicle down the line, Corvette you can pick up @ the museum, but dont know if you can follow Your vehicle down the line.
You have to pay for the trip to Germany

·
Registered
266 Posts
>>> Corvette you can pick up @ the museum, but dont know if you can follow Your vehicle down the line.

There are two tours at the plant. One is general in nature, for the regular public, and costs a few dollars. The other is for Vette buyers, costs $800, and is only available to buyers picking up their car at the museum across the street. You get a private tour guide, get to talk with the workers, see areas the public tour does not see - a richer experience. They try and schedule your tour while your car is on the line, but no guarantees.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts