Ford Transit USA Forum banner

Radio Interference with Headlights Upgrade

837 10
Searched the forum but couldn't find any relevant discussion, especially within the past year or two. Looking to upgrade the headlights but from what I understand, the typical upgrade involves a plug-and-play LED conversion kit and causes interference with the radio frequency. Has anyone figured out a solution? I read one person installed some component but didn't quite fix the issue.

I'm also looking for current suggestions for headlight replacement. I'm not sure if 6000K is too bright or if that's the norm these days. I don't want blinding or blue and I understand the scatter has been fixed with recent innovations to LEDs so that's not a concern. It seems there isn't a FORSCAN fix for the headlights error code in 2015s after an LED swap. Do any of the light kits include a resistor or is that always something additional to be installed? Recommendations for the resistors? Any other concerns/advice for a headlight retrofit?

I'm not trying to get anything crazy, I just want safe, working headlights ...
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
111 Posts
6000k is not brighter, but rather more blue in color temperature. While they might seem brighter, they are actually worse for nighttime driving and fog. I run 3200k HID lights in my jeep that I love. They don't seem yellow at all while driving. That being said, 5000k is about as blue as I would go.

· Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good to know, thanks. I actually just wanted to get the brightest replacement bulbs but read someone did just that and it didn't help at all. Guessing it's just a bad reflector design or power output or the such. Thus, thinking the LED retrofit is the only way to go.

· Registered
"Terrapin Station Wagon" aka "VanTerp" 2020 AWD LH
71 Posts

Recent thread re: LEDs

· Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Recent thread re: LEDs
I didn't see that one, some more information to digest. Thanks but still looking for information regarding the radio interference. Although, now I'm seeing more conflicting information as to whether any "upgrade" is an upgrade at all so maybe I'll reconsider.

· Registered
"Terrapin Station Wagon" aka "VanTerp" 2020 AWD LH
71 Posts
I was skeptical, but talked to someone who installed the Diode Dynamics LEDs, loved them, and took the chance. I tested how the appear with my buddy driving towards me and am very comfortable that they don't blind oncoming traffic. Been flashed only once in the 3-4 months since installed. Was flashed several time with original lights. And the improved vision is 'night and day'. I know there are cheap LEDs that do nothing, but these work.

· Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was skeptical, but talked to someone who installed the Diode Dynamics LEDs, loved them, and took the chance. I tested how the appear with my buddy driving towards me and am very comfortable that they don't blind oncoming traffic. Been flashed only once in the 3-4 months since installed. Was flashed several time with original lights. And the improved vision is 'night and day'. I know there are cheap LEDs that do nothing, but these work.
That's good to know. Still hoping for a definitive answer on the radio interference :/
Regarding the LED/color temp/brightness, yes we understand that they're not technically brighter but a cooler light does provide a better color spectrum on whatever it's projecting on/to. So, in theory (and based on user reviews) it certainly makes it easier to see.
And yeah, I get it, I hate being blinded by super "bright" lights (whatever that means considering this argument), but that's usually because those drivers did something else to their headlights. Different reflectors, didn't focus correctly, jacked up vehicles, a different adjustment from factory, etc. I didn't realize this would be another insulation/tire size/battery bank or whatever other major debates are on this forum but as far as headlights go, whatever I have now is super dangerous to myself and other drivers on the road so that's all I'm trying to fix. Let's see better together and stop spitting nonsense like "You are blinding the rest of us with your crappy led headlights.." or whatever moronic crap that has no substantial backing to it. End rant. Cheers

· Administrator
2018 T350HD Dual Sliders - SOLD
2,682 Posts
Cheaper LED kits and HID kits can cause radio interference. They save money by not properly shielding the electronics, using sub par quality components, etc. Several years ago I bought a cheap knock off set of 8 inch diameter LED Rally lights. When I turned them on, it would trigger the check engine light on my bike and any running cars within 20 feet. Fun times.

· Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cheaper LED kits and HID kits can cause radio interference. They save money by not properly shielding the electronics, using sub par quality components, etc. Several years ago I bought a cheap knock off set of 8 inch diameter LED Rally lights. When I turned them on, it would trigger the check engine light on my bike and any running cars within 20 feet. Fun times.
Wow that's crazy. Thanks for the info. Do you suppose if it's a seemingly good quality product then it wouldn't have those issues? I feel like this is one of those products that's difficult to determine which is actually quality since they're all brands I've never heard and on Amazon. I have to gauge quality based on price (you get what you pay for so don't skimp) and reviews, unfortunately.

· Administrator
2018 T350HD Dual Sliders - SOLD
2,682 Posts
There's no way of knowing with no name brands, and through Amazon there can be issues with name brands. Amazon stocks inventory using "Co-location of products" so if three vendors are selling the exact same product, their inventory is all located in the same bin. Logically it makes sense since you don't need a product in two locations in the same warehouse. The issue that arises is from knock-off products. A friend bought a Mophie phone case which has a built in battery pack. It didn't work, and he contacted Mophie. None of the troubleshooting was working so support asked for pictures of the serial number, the packaging, etc. . Turns out it was a knock off. Packaging was almost identical, just a slightly different font on the back of the box and a typo in the text. The serial number on the product didn't have the right number of digits.

It's always buyer beware on Amazon.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.