Ford Transit USA Forum banner

741 - 760 of 795 Posts

·
Registered
800 Posts
It's like Ford said, "Hey, this airbox on our European Transit works great and has no problem with leaks, let's try it upside down for the US Transit." I don't know - it just seems to me that Ford is not learning from their "mistakes"

The European Transit air boxes leaked as well, as seen on the Internet years ago. But everyone was so blinded by the ‘new’ American Transit version, that no one cared.

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
I'm curious to know what the european drivetrain airbox looks like, and if it fits "in" the lower part like the USA version does.

I don't think any of these motors are available in Europia.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I'm curious to know what the european drivetrain airbox looks like, and if it fits "in" the lower part like the USA version does.

I don't think any of these motors are available in Europia.

I think there’s a European transit forum. That’s where I first saw a picture of a moldy shredded air filter from a ‘Transit’.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Yep- the euro Transit guys were bitching about the airbox design YEARS before we got the first Transit.
Must be some big shot Ford executive's son in law that designed them- otherwise they would have fixed it by now...

Reactions: ultane

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
It was designed by the same people who do Ford's website. They have pictures of the CEO doing unspeakable things with an underage goat, in case you were wondering why that crew of imbeciles is still employed.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
On my current trip, the last two snow/freezing rain events froze my door handles on my 2016 completely shut. I think that the very narrow gap between the plastic movable part of the handle and the plastic fixed part fills with water and freezes the two together. It seems like a poor design.

I need to find a lubricant that keeps the ice from sticking, or keep some deicer handy. Or maybe grind the gap wider.

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
On my current trip, the last two snow/freezing rain events froze my door handles on my 2016 completely shut. I think that the very narrow gap between the plastic movable part of the handle and the plastic fixed part fills with water and freezes the two together. It seems like a poor design.

I need to find a lubricant that keeps the ice from sticking, or keep some deicer handy. Or maybe grind the gap wider.
Water collected on the slider rail and froze overnight on mine, and since the slider is poorly designed with the wheel riding on top of the rail surface instead of hanging underneath like a barn door track, the wheel would not ravel over the ice, essentially freezing the door shut. Less capable people (the kind that can't even change their own flat tires or oil) would wail and gnash their teeth and call a tow truck or something, I just chipped off the ice. But: bad design, something to be aware of.

Reactions: tthrsn

·
Registered
265 Posts
Only had mine for a week now -
Long mirrors suck because the center rail is in the field of vision for the drivers side. Result is I ordered shorties.

I have dual sliders - No grab bar on drivers side.

Radio - sync 3 w/ cd player - Tossed it. Installed Kenwood dnx955s w/ navi. sub amp speakers (6). I took the jack out from under pass. seat to fit the sub & amp.

The radio sits to far away from the driver. Always leaning forward to use.

Windshield is like a magnifying glass. - Not done yet but will be tinting 5" below existing. basically as if you flipped the visor down. I ride with the down and folded against the windshield anyway it's an issue seeing traffic light but who stops at an intersection anyway? Also about a 3" perimeter around driver and passenger window. When done it will hide the cup holder and look like vent visor. NJ it's illegal to tint forward of driver seats.

Ordered upfitter switches - they don't fit in center. The switch is to deep and you'd have to cut the cup holder. No doing that but gonna see if they'll fit in the top center grey piece.

Light switch - ordered new one - installed but can't dim dash lights anymore.

No rear grab handles

No rear view mirror mount - I hang my phone off the mirror. No I have to fine alternative for a phone mount.

Auto slide door feature unavailable yet shows you can get it on a 19.

My truck was on the lot. I asked the dealer to add 5 things but when they said no to the navi I said forget everything.
I wanted Navi, remote start, upfitter switches, short mirrors & hubcaps.

I paid 17% of msrp. I also install a dual dash cam. More customization to go. It's a work truck.
When I get old I'll put some ass & glass in it and call it an RV. LOL

Happy with my purchase - not bitchin just replying the the post TOPIC.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am a lurker here as I am doing research for my first van build next year. Are the water leaks prevalent on every Transit? If so there is no way I am going to buy a Transit if it is this poorly designed.

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
I am a lurker here as I am doing research for my first van build next year. Are the water leaks prevalent on every Transit? If so there is no way I am going to buy a Transit if it is this poorly designed.
Water leaks from the roof mount bolts are the result of not installing them correctly with rubber gaskets, and not checking them every once in a while to make sure they haven't loosened. The water in the side where the slider rail bolts on is fixed by a little caulking or that spray seal stuff inside the wall; maybe taking off the track and re-installing it using rubber gaskets. The air filter nightmare is solved with a $1.78 dish pan from Walmart; but there is a rumor that the 2019 Transits have a corrected airbox that doesn't allow water to pool up. Water pooling under the drivers' step is "fixed" by a TSB that basically drills a hole in the floor for it to drain. THAT water probably comes from the poorly designed windshield gutters, which allow water to drip directly on the airbox on the passenger side and the wire harness loom and cab entry on the driver side; which MAY have been corrected for 2019 (re-designed gutters as well as airbox?).

Nothing insurmountable, to be sure.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Water leaks from the roof mount bolts are the result of not installing them correctly with rubber gaskets, and not checking them every once in a while to make sure they haven't loosened. The water in the side where the slider rail bolts on is fixed by a little caulking or that spray seal stuff inside the wall; maybe taking off the track and re-installing it using rubber gaskets. The air filter nightmare is solved with a $1.78 dish pan from Walmart; but there is a rumor that the 2019 Transits have a corrected airbox that doesn't allow water to pool up. Water pooling under the drivers' step is "fixed" by a TSB that basically drills a hole in the floor for it to drain. THAT water probably comes from the poorly designed windshield gutters, which allow water to drip directly on the airbox on the passenger side and the wire harness loom and cab entry on the driver side; which MAY have been corrected for 2019 (re-designed gutters as well as airbox?).

Nothing insurmountable, to be sure.

That is great to know and I am back on track. Saving this in my reference file.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts

During a warm spell I sprayed some silicone lubricant into the door handle cracks. Then we had a hard rain followed by a deep freeze. Some of the door handles still froze completely shut as before. However, a little squirt of lock de-icer into the crack opened the handle immediately.

I'm going to try some Dupont Teflon Snow and Ice Repellant next. I'll apply it to the door handles cracks and the exterior slider door rails.

(I also sprayed silicone lubricant on all the rubber door seals and that worked just fine. No sticking, unlike a rear door hinge seal that ripped apart due to freezing the year before.)

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
The Pirates of Silicon Valley got the GUI and Mouse for nothing because Xerox Corporate saw no purpose for any idea that wasn't a copier.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
1 My drivers side door doesn't shut tight unless I shut it hard,,,,2 window wipers sometimes stops ,, fiddling with the wiper switch or ign key triggers them to work again ,,,, I'm not sure which gets them working again because just recently started acting up

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
1 My drivers side door doesn't shut tight unless I shut it hard,,,,2 window wipers sometimes stops ,, fiddling with the wiper switch or ign key triggers them to work again ,,,, I'm not sure which gets them working again because just recently started acting up
You were the one who said you hacked into your ignition switch wiring, That is usually what causes these kinds of electrical gremlins.
Unhook everything and try to put the ignition wiring back like it was.

·
Registered
17 Posts
This is just me being anal, but the title of this thread is a "Quirk" that made me raise an eyebrow. When I first saw the thread with the word Qwerk, I thought maybe it was some sort of outer space object that I didn't know about? I realized the intent of what the original poster was shooting for, even if the execution of the spelling missed the mark. To my surprise, there are actually a couple definitions for Qwerk if you google it. Granted, they are urban dictionary definitions, but something actually came up.

"Qwerk, the god of stories, was birthed at the beginning of everything when our lord, Lord Joel, woke up to the universe and wished for a burek to eat"

and

"Qwerk"
twerking horribly
You suck at twerking, you suck so bad it's not even twerking it's qwerking."

Anyway, to the original intent, the only "Quirks" about the Van that I'm not fond of so far are the narrow passageway from the front seats to the interior of the van, and the 6 foot rear overhang on the extended van.

And remember, when you aren't sure about spelling, Google can be your friend.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Don't like the misinformation of having a tow package and not have any easy means of getting the electric brakes.
Thought it was going to be plug and play.
How long has Ford been building trucks and construction vans?

741 - 760 of 795 Posts