Ford Transit USA Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
So my biggest dillema is buying a brand new van when I can get a decent salvaged on for around 12k..... This I could get the conversion and have a 4x4 tansit for under 30k..... Paying the stealership is not my idea of a good time. Unless I can get a dealership to do it with a used Transit?

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
You may have a problem getting QuadVans to do a upfit on a Transit with salvage background. If you have some unibody damage that can cause a problem getting everything lined up correctly.

There is a lot a good used Transits that you can get to do a 4x4 conversion. With the Transit being a unibody construction, you don't want to mess with one that has some unibody damage and then get to QuadVans and them tell you they can't line up the vehicle you took to them and have to pay for their time working on it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Bump,
Hello, new here and just wanted to see if anyone out there has any new or updated thoughts based on experiences over the last year?
Been looking at getting a transit and seeing a few with the Quigley available on lots now but with a pretty steep price increase. Of course I could roll it into a loan if completed prior to purchase vs out of pocket for Quadvan (I am in the PNW and my GF live in Vancouver just across the river from PDX). But with the 2020s coming I am hoping to find a great deal on leftover 2019 so not opposed to picking up non-converted and then getting myself on a waitlist and saving for out of pocket.
Based on what I have read and heard both are very comparable but big difference is the rear shock bracket clearance that the quadvan offers over Quigley
Any other things or new developments from either that may have come out in recent months?
Thanks for any inputs!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Well I am going with Quadvan because I think they do the better real wheeler version. And I really do expect to wheel mine in the desert Southwest and Baja. I am also going with lockers front & rear since these vans don't flex much in the suspension.
Lastly I am looking into sway bar quick disconnects as that will let the front and rear suspension so more off road and I plan to do some testing on my way into SEMA and a whole bunch of wheeling after :)

I will report back with thoughts and videos as time goes on.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ford now has a direct ship code for QuadVans so now we can direct the Transit from the plant directly to them so you don't have to come to Matt Ford to get your Transit then get a scheduled upfit for your 4x4 conversion. This can help you in not making the trip to Kansas City but your Transit will be sitting at QuadVans waiting for the upfit. Some buyers like to get their Transit ahead of their 4x4 upfit and drive it until it is scheduled for conversion.

You will still need to contact QuadVans for information to get your Transit done before you order the Transit so you know the cost and what you want to have done. There may be certain options you need to order on the Transit that will be a part of your upfit at QuadVans so making contact with them first is the best route.

Our first order for the redirect to QuadVans is done with a March build date and waiting to see how long it takes to get to them. With the Quigley redirect, we have seen one Transit go from the plant to PA in about 2 weeks and the latest one took nearly 4 weeks as they loaded a number of Transits in other railcars that get dropped off along the way to Quigley.

Our last Quigley order is being completed NOW and the customer will have it in the next week.
CrewVanMatt,

I was curious your thoughts on how the quadvan worked for you vs the quigley? Any feedback from you customers? I spoke with a dealer that has some Quigleys on the lot (keeping in mind he is a dealer so going to push his product) that spoke less than highly of the quadvan harking back to prior relationships and that they just aren't up to the quigley standard? Just trying to get as much info as I can. The markup on the already converted Quigleys is $20k but it seems a Quadvan would run ~$14k so save around $6k if went that route.
Thanks for any input you may have from your vast experience with these rigs!

·
Registered
201 Posts
The markup on the already converted Quigleys is $20k!
You might already know that the direct cost for a Quigley conversion is about 14k. I think you could talk that dealer down to about 15k or less, just to get it off the lot.

·
Registered
24 Posts
You might already know that the direct cost for a Quigley conversion is about 14k. I think you could talk that dealer down to about 15k or less, just to get it off the lot.
Really? You think dealers are having trouble selling Quigley equipped vans that they need to mark them down more? I'm considering getting a Quigley but can't justify the costs at this point. Would help if there was some real world reporting on the the Transit AWD system so I could compare to make my decision.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Give it about 1 year with the AWD on the market to see how it holds up based on the uses the Transit buyers place on it. Ford only recommended it for slippery roads and light snow travel, nothing to do with off-road uses. You may see lift kits made for the AWD and then later find out if you have a problem adding it to your Transit and then have a warranty issue related to those changes.

Best to go with a 2019 Transit and pay the conversion cost. With the 2019 rebates, you can put that towards the conversion. No current rebates on the 2020 model and NO 4X4 setup yet for it.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Really? You think dealers are having trouble selling Quigley equipped vans that they need to mark them down more? I'm considering getting a Quigley but can't justify the costs at this point. Would help if there was some real world reporting on the the Transit AWD system so I could compare to make my decision.

In January I bought a Quigley off a dealer lot. They charged me the Quigley $13K for the conversion and no shipping. It seemed the dealer here did the Quigley conversions to help sell more vans, not to get extra markup for the vans.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Give it about 1 year with the AWD on the market to see how it holds up based on the uses the Transit buyers place on it. Ford only recommended it for slippery roads and light snow travel, nothing to do with off-road uses. You may see lift kits made for the AWD and then later find out if you have a problem adding it to your Transit and then have a warranty issue related to those changes.

Best to go with a 2019 Transit and pay the conversion cost. With the 2019 rebates, you can put that towards the conversion. No current rebates on the 2020 model and NO 4X4 setup yet for it.

I'd be happy to know the real world performance on fire roads and mud. I don't really plan to do 'off roading'. Maybe a little sand and rough roads but nothing crazy.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well I am going with Quadvan because I think they do the better real wheeler version. And I really do expect to wheel mine in the desert Southwest and Baja. I am also going with lockers front & rear since these vans don't flex much in the suspension.
Lastly I am looking into sway bar quick disconnects as that will let the front and rear suspension so more off road and I plan to do some testing on my way into SEMA and a whole bunch of wheeling after :)

I will report back with thoughts and videos as time goes on.
Lance, thanks for the input. Curious is there any thing specific that makes you feel that way regarding Quadvan? Look forward to hearing feedback on your experiences with it. If I don't get an already converted Quigley will definitely go with Quadvan (gotta support the local PNW guys!) but if able to get a great deal on a Quigley may go that route to just have it done and ready to use.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a 2019 Quigley. I’ve had it on the beaches down in Hatteras and it did great. I can’t compare it to the Quadvan, but I’ve got nothing but good things to say about the Quigley!

21 - 32 of 32 Posts