Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quigley or 2020 Ford Transit AWD?
That's my question. Which would be better off road or are they pretty much the same.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
At the presentation of the 2020 Ford Transit at the Work Truck show in Indianapolis, IN, Ford made it known that the AWD model was more for wet roads and snow and NOT for the off-road uses that the 4X4 can handle a lot better.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Quigley or 2020 Ford Transit AWD?
That's my question. Which would be better off road or are they pretty much the same.
Quigley will be better off-road, no question. Low range and 2 inch lift make a difference, though you are still constrained by the rear shock mounts and differential clearance. Quigley is also very expensive and kind of a hassle to buy unless you are lucky enough to find a used one or dealer stock.

I honestly don't know whether we would have purchased our Quigley, had we known that AWD would be available on the 2020. Probably Quigley.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea I just buy the Transit then take it into Quigley for conversion if I was going that route

·
Registered
97 Posts
Quigley, without hesitation. I purchased our Quigley after the 2020 AWD was announced. Ford make it clear that its a road focused wet/snow AWD, with a low step-in height (as in low ground clearance.

They are not difficult to buy. I ordered ours through Newberg Ford in Oregon. They are a West Coast dealer for Quigley and always have some in the pipeline. I ordered mine in March and it was delivered to my house 3 weeks ago.

We have a 148" mid roof, with 245x75x16 BFG's and the Van Compass shock mount shortening kit. IMHO that combination gives more than adequate clearance for quite gnarly off-road.

We just did our first van camping trip. 1100 miles from the SF Bay, through reno, Mono Lake, Alabama Hills, CA (where many Western movies were shot), Walker Pass/Lake Isabella and Sequoia National Forest. I included 200 miles of off road and jeep trails mostly in the Alabama Hills as I wanted to test it's limits where we were not too far form help. At one point we caught up with a group of heavily modified 4x4's inching over deep ruts in a vehicle wide **** canyon. They were a bit shocked that we could keep up with them.

To be clear we were not doing extreme rock-crawling and I wouldn't want to do that in what is our mobile home. - but I did want to test "difficult situations" that we could find 50-100 miles out - up a National Forest or BLM trail.

The big takeaway for me is that the 3.5 Ecoboost + Quigley makes for a very capable off-roader. Part of this is down to how well the Ecoboost delivers its power. Its so immediate and linear that you can inch the van along with very little drama.

Attachments

·
Registered
100 Posts
Quigley, without hesitation. I purchased our Quigley after the 2020 AWD was announced. Ford make it clear that its a road focused wet/snow AWD, with a low step-in height (as in low ground clearance.
Great info and pics! It reinforces our decision to go with the Quigley.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yea I just buy the Transit then take it into Quigley for conversion if I was going that route
Pretty sure Quigley no longer offer this service. To get a Quigley system you have to order through a Dealer and it is shipped to Quigley. After they complete the modifications they drop ship it to your dealer for you to pick up. They don't do customer delivery orders on used vans or even new owner purchased vans.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Quigley has changed their operations so that NOW you can go post-title with your Transit. Some of their requirements are you have to take your Transit to Quigley in PA for inspection and they make the decision on whether they would convert to 4X4 conversion or not. Mostly has to do with how old the Transit is and how many miles you have on the vehicle.

It all has to do with the changes on the 2020 Transit to the 10 speed automatic transmission and Quigley needing time to engineer a platform to convert that model over to a 4X4. They saw the slack time coming so they opened up the opportunity to bring your Transit in for conversion. Best to contact Quigley and get the requirements they need so you can decide on making the trip to PA or settling with the Transit you have now!

Once they get the details figured out on the 2020 Transit 4X4 conversion, they may go back to the direct shipment from the Transit plant at some point and not do any past year models other than the 2020 models that might have been built before the cutoff period.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Quigley has changed their operations so that NOW you can go post-title with your Transit. Some of their requirements are you have to take your Transit to Quigley in PA for inspection and they make the decision on whether they would convert to 4X4 conversion or not. Mostly has to do with how old the Transit is and how many miles you have on the vehicle.
This decision by Quigley and the lower 2019 prices makes this decision harder. I priced the 2020 AWD using this site: https://www.autoblog.com/buy/2020-Ford-Transit_250+Cargo-Base__All_wheel_Drive_High_Roof_Van_147.6_in._WB/

With all of the new safety features, lager tank and swivel front seats, it ran to about $52K. The site is a bit quirky and it was hard to know if it was really adding everything you choose, especially when it came to packages that included some of the add ons like adaptive cruise control.

This is really close to the amount you would pay to buy a heavily discounted ($39-$41K) 2019 and take it to Quigley or Quadvan for the full 4x4 treatment with lift. My practical side says the AWD would be perfect because I don't plan to do any rock hopping with my camper and I would like to have the additional safety features. If I wait until spring or early summer that $52K should drop a few thousand with Ford rebates.

But then I see a photo on this forum of one of the 4x4 conversion with a lift and big ole bumper and the testosterone flows and weakens my decision making skills . . .

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
A lot of the buyers on the last 2019 Transits are doing just what you are thinking. With the rebates on the current model and the Matt Ford discount, it gave them some extra funds to put into a 4X4 upfit. Most went to QuadVan as they could take the van without the direct ship feature and do some things before leaving it for the 4X4 conversion.

We have one direct shipped Quigley now at their facility and the third Transit heading to QuadVan for 4X4 conversions. Everything else now are orders for the 2020 AWD model with everything from E1Y SWB low roof cargo van to the U4X T-350HD HR Extended passenger van.

·
Registered
57 Posts
conversion with a lift and big ole bumper and the testosterone flows and weakens my decision making skills . . .
Unfortunately, this will get old very fast.
I doubt the 4x4 conversion can take to that many places that an AWD can't. Often it is the carpenter, not the hammer. Knowing which line you should take and where you place the tire are far more important than a few inch lift and bigger tires when on the trails.

Regardless, what makes you happy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
To bring us back on topic. The sprinter AWD vs Quigley 4x4 video is compelling. However, I would ask : can you turn TCS off and simply drive the AWD (sprinter or transit) with fixed power splits and let all those wheels spin on a loose, rutted climb?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just ordered a 2020 148” HR AWD yesterday (my first Transit can’t wait!) I’m hoping it will handle forest service roads and light off road driving.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts