Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

About to pull the trigger on a 2018 long and tall 3.5/3.31 Transit, and would love to get 4x4 via Quigley. A post by another member suggested this is possible. I've contacted Quigley but no reply yet. Any news on this?

Much appreciated.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks QueSera. Yes, it's my understanding US folks have to go through a dealer. What I'm wondering is if it's even possible for Canadians, through a dealer or not. The red tape on "modified" vehicles is notorious. Wondering if anyone has a firm yes or no on this one. Thanks!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks QueSera. Yes, it's my understanding US folks have to go through a dealer. What I'm wondering is if it's even possible for Canadians, through a dealer or not. The red tape on "modified" vehicles is notorious. Wondering if anyone has a firm yes or no on this one. Thanks!
Hi, dray. I just walked through the Quigley factory Monday. The short version of dealer/no dealer is that Quigley is now getting slammed with Transit orders. There wasn't a huge demand for the first couple of years while customers of all varieties were taking in the new chasis. But whatever psychological barriers have been removed, and the current number of orders either sitting on the lot or inbound *right now* is almost equal to what they've *completed* since the Transit came out in North America.

So all orders will come from the KC plant to Quigley. *IF* it's a LR van, it will stay in Ford's distro system and will arrive at the dealer with no additional cost. Those ordering a MR/HR variant will have to pay for transit to the final destination (~$2-3k to go across the country depending).

I can't speak to Canadian specific issues, but I hope this helps with some perspective. Perhaps it will be easiest to pluck one off a lot somewhere closer to you if you can find what you want. Needless to say, 4x4s that arrive on dealer lots will be selling out very very quickly.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks very much Baker. Great info. Yeah, I spoke with a Cdn company affiliated with Quigley. June build date (2018). Cost about $22 Cdn. Agree, better to find one on a lot. None in Canada. But some in the US. Means a lot of extra costs though, not least because of the Exchange Rate, but also because of an additional tax and costs associated with bringing into Canada. May have to give my dream of a 4x4 a pass.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Thanks very much Baker. Great info. Yeah, I spoke with a Cdn company affiliated with Quigley. June build date (2018). Cost about $22 Cdn. Agree, better to find one on a lot. None in Canada. But some in the US. Means a lot of extra costs though, not least because of the Exchange Rate, but also because of an additional tax and costs associated with bringing into Canada. May have to give my dream of a 4x4 a pass.
I know they got a very large order from Canadian dealer(s) earlier this year which really pushed out their delivery date projections. Wow I was so lucky to be one of the last non-factory ordered conversions! Having finally used my new running gear recently when caught in an early winter storm I think it is the best possible investment you could make in a Transit purchase.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Quigley and Quadvan are the only two companies doing 4x4 conversions?

Given their prices and backlog, it is surprising that they do not have any competitors.

We are developing a Transit 4x4 conversion now. Our prototype van is slated for testing early Q1. I have a lot of custom designed parts prototyped and will be installing some of them very soon. So much going on around here though so I don't get many chances to post updates.

Converting the Transit is not a walk in the park like the E-series. There are some engineering challenges...ones that take significant investment (time and money) to overcome too. I don't expect a lot of players in this market. Maybe a couple more companies will go for it but not as many options as other van models.

Our system will have rebuildable front hubs (not custom unit bearings like Quigley), 3-mode ESOF transfer case and the ability to run up to 265/70-17 tires. Email me if you want to be on our updates mailing list. http://expovans.com

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
I looked at the images on your website. You do a beautiful conversion.

I would like to point out that the Transit doesn't have any front tow points. I believe that there is a market for this.
Thank you tthrsn!!

I have the CAD models of the front end and plan to design something in the future. It's on the list for sure. :D

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
I would like to point out that the Transit doesn't have any front tow points. I believe that there is a market for this.
Does that vertical rectangular piece of steel with two holes next to the round tube of the front jack point count as a semi OK tow point? That's what I used to get towed out when I was stuck in mud a few weeks ago.

·
Registered
783 Posts

Given their prices and backlog, it is surprising that they do not have any competitors.

We are developing a Transit 4x4 conversion now. Our prototype van is slated for testing early Q1. I have a lot of custom designed parts prototyped and will be installing some of them very soon. So much going on around here though so I don't get many chances to post updates.

Converting the Transit is not a walk in the park like the E-series. There are some engineering challenges...ones that take significant investment (time and money) to overcome too. I don't expect a lot of players in this market. Maybe a couple more companies will go for it but not as many options as other van models.

Our system will have rebuildable front hubs (not custom unit bearings like Quigley), 3-mode ESOF transfer case and the ability to run up to 265/70-17 tires. Email me if you want to be on our updates mailing list. http://expovans.com

Sounds like you might do a lot of business

The tire size is very popular and that alone will help.

How much of a lift do you expect?

I am sure many here are looking forward to puctures.

——

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Envy you your 4x4. Such a huge hassle now to do, unless a Cdn company starts doing it and agree to do it to non-new Transits.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Thanks for this. You posted this in the Canadian part of the Transit forum. Does this mean you will be offering 4x4 to Canadians? Put differently, will you be converting non-new Transits from out of country?

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Thanks for this. You posted this in the Canadian part of the Transit forum. Does this mean you will be offering 4x4 to Canadians? Put differently, will you be converting non-new Transits from out of country?
I have been talking with a Canadian company about providing installations of our parts. I'm not sure of all of the legalities involved yet but once things are underway, I'd like to try to find a spot in the Canadian market somehow.

·
Registered
34 Posts
To be more clear, they are the only ones that are doing Transit conversions that maintain the Ford warranty. This fits with the fact that (I assume this is now the same with Quadvan) you can only get them as part of ordering through the dealer. So while other kits--including those of equal or even higher quality--will certainly be developed for after market work, the barrier to entry for Ford's engineers to certify the working being done I'm sure is very high. There's not a lot of incentive for Ford to create new partnerships that could cause legal issues if quality issues arise. I'm sure they'd be fine if Quigley and Quadvan expand their capacity. (That is my understanding of the situation with a little conjecture at the end. Feel free if I have the details wrong.)

Quigley is in the east. Quadvan is in the west. That might be all we get for awhile. If Ford was really interested in providing 4x4s for the market they certainly have the resources to do it themselves. ...oh wait. They do! They're called F-series!!!

·
Registered
215 Posts

Dray2009. I can only speak of my previous experience in trying to get a transit ordered in Canada from the dealer with Quigley 4x4 installed. Things may be different now but at the time in 2016. I was in touch with an upfitter in Canada that is affiliated with Quigley. At the time this upfitter told me and my dealer that the conversion could be done and quoted my dealer. I said yes, factory ordered my van with ship thru code. Said upfitter got my van shipped to them and that’s where things stalled out. My dealer and myself knew nothing and had no updates from the upfitter as time passed on. I finally called Quigley and was informed that they did not have any transport Canada approval, and had not applied for this approval. Quigley was so busy trying to fulfill their domestic demand they had no plans to spend the time and money to get TC approval. so Quigley could not help me and I was not in their que at all. There were literally 100’s and hundreds of other vans in que already. Again this was last year and probably different now. The most alarming problem was this upfitter in Canada was told all this by Quigley, so why did they feed my dealer and me a line of BS that they could get this done. Meanwhile my van was built, it’s sitting on the upfitters lot. I already had wheels and tires for a lifted 4x4 transit. Custom powder coated aliminess front bumper. And various other parts for a transit van. At this point I was furious as you would expect. I was faced with the decision to abandon the transit I was wanting for over 2 years or take delivery of my 2wd transit and try to figure out another plan.

I ended up going ahead and taking delivery of the van. Ultimately It took another 9 months and I was able to drive down to Quadvan and get my van converted then drive it back home.

Long story but it was not an easy or straight forward process for me. I hope you can find a way to get your van converted and brought to Canada somehow or more players get into the market to offer a conversion for the transits. Quigley and Quadvan are both slammed up. There is a market. Sportsman’s 4x4 in Kamloops BC was talking about wanting to do a conversion as they have been doing econoline and chev full size vans 4x4 conversions for years. Who knows. Sometimes I tell people that I probably have the only 4x4 ford transit in Country.

Good luck with it. I’m happy with the quadvan conversion, works great. Ended up costing less than the Quigley price I was quoted in the start anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Dray2009. I can only speak of my previous experience in trying to get a transit ordered in Canada from the dealer with Quigley 4x4 installed. Things may be different now but at the time in 2016. I was in touch with an upfitter in Canada that is affiliated with Quigley. At the time this upfitter told me and my dealer that the conversion could be done and quoted my dealer. I said yes, factory ordered my van with ship thru code. Said upfitter got my van shipped to them and that’s where things stalled out. My dealer and myself knew nothing and had no updates from the upfitter as time passed on. I finally called Quigley and was informed that they did not have any transport Canada approval, and had not applied for this approval. Quigley was so busy trying to fulfill their domestic demand they had no plans to spend the time and money to get TC approval. so Quigley could not help me and I was not in their que at all. There were literally 100’s and hundreds of other vans in que already. Again this was last year and probably different now. The most alarming problem was this upfitter in Canada was told all this by Quigley, so why did they feed my dealer and me a line of BS that they could get this done. Meanwhile my van was built, it’s sitting on the upfitters lot. I already had wheels and tires for a lifted 4x4 transit. Custom powder coated aliminess front bumper. And various other parts for a transit van. At this point I was furious as you would expect. I was faced with the decision to abandon the transit I was wanting for over 2 years or take delivery of my 2wd transit and try to figure out another plan.

I ended up going ahead and taking delivery of the van. Ultimately It took another 9 months and I was able to drive down to Quadvan and get my van converted then drive it back home.

Long story but it was not an easy or straight forward process for me. I hope you can find a way to get your van converted and brought to Canada somehow or more players get into the market to offer a conversion for the transits. Quigley and Quadvan are both slammed up. There is a market. Sportsman’s 4x4 in Kamloops BC was talking about wanting to do a conversion as they have been doing econoline and chev full size vans 4x4 conversions for years. Who knows. Sometimes I tell people that I probably have the only 4x4 ford transit in Country.

Good luck with it. I’m happy with the quadvan conversion, works great. Ended up costing less than the Quigley price I was quoted in the start anyways.
Wow man. Brutal. Thanks for sharing. So, you mention Quigley and Quadvan. I'm a bit confused. You started with Quigley, but the Cdn upfitter was incompetent and you ended up with a Quadvan. Any chance the Cdn upfitter's last name was 'bro?'

·
Registered
215 Posts
Yes that is all correct. Again that was earlier last year. It could be all good now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: dray2009

·
Registered
87 Posts
ford99. Were you able to get Transport Canada Approval for your Quadvan conversion?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts