Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2022 T350HD #11000 Avalanche Gray
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have used the search and I see there are many options and most work about the same. I'm thinking about using Hushmat but what I want to make sure is off all the options which does not off gas any bad smells and which stays stuck to the roof or side walls best when they get very hot in the sun?

Thank you

·
Registered
97 Posts
These sound proofing mats, such as Hushmat, are very sticky. In fact they are difficult to remove. They also seem to hold very well, even if the metal gets warm in the sun.

·
Registered
2021 W2X T350 148" High Roof, EcoB, AWD, Avalanche Grey, 11/20 order 8/21 delivery
332 Posts
I used Noico 80. Should note that like many 2021 owners, I received this months before my van arrived. That said, there were no odors. Installed in August, left uncovered for three months. Temps into the 90s. No issues. Very sharp edges! Good luck.

·
Registered
2020 High-Extended AWD EcoBoost Cargo with windows
2,389 Posts
Used Dynamat Extreme to the extreme on both the last rig and this one. Never noticed any smell (from that) in five years previous or one year with this.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have used the search and I see there are many options and most work about the same. I'm thinking about using Hushmat but what I want to make sure is off all the options which does not off gas any bad smells and which stays stuck to the roof or side walls best when they get very hot in the sun?

Thank you
I used Dynamat from prior experience and have had no issues with odor. I covered most of the cargo area in my van and didn’t want to take a chance with another brand.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Noico user here. 36sq ft for the whole van HR Extended placing it on all surfaces and testing for resonance to find the right amount of coverage. No odors from right out of the box. Seems that unless you go with some really cheap brand that contains asphalt, you shouldn't experience a problem with odors. As far as outgassing, I'd assume they are all about the same, and can't offer much information. Spend the extra few dollars and get a good roller, and make sure your surfaces are clean to get a really good bond.

Reactions: Brandon

·
Registered
615 Posts
I used dynamat and the Amazon’s basics stuff. Amazon basics was definitely the better purchase! Much more bang for the buck, and no smell (with either brand). I also liked the smaller squares on the Amazon brand for all the cavities

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Just stop farting in the van. Problem solved.

No offgassing.
No noise.
No vibration.
No smell.

😉

·
Registered
66 Posts
Smell or offgassing is not an issue. I did a lot of research and comparison shipping. I found that per sq ft Kilmat is the most economical. All S.D.M.'s do about the same job of equal thickness.

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
You better leave that new Transit parked in the sun with the windows open for a couple of months, That new car smell is pure offgassing.
Just install some cedar planking like I did, You will not smell anything else.

·
Premium Member
1,420 Posts
You might consider 3M Engineered Damping Material. It is half the weight of Dynamat and other similar products. That makes it less likely to fall off over time. No noticeable off-gassing smell. It has been a very popular product for us.

All the best,
Hein
DIYvan

·
Registered
2021 High Roof, AWB, EcoBoost
95 Posts
I used the 3M product Hein sells. I don’t follow the philosophy of covering most of the sheet metal with sound dampening, so the overall cost was not too bad. I found it worked at least as well as the traditional sound mats, and was satisfactory, a very noticeable improvement. Lighter weight too, so less mass up high, but then again, I don’t go overboard covering all the sheet metal I see, just about 30% of it. I also covered it all with Thinsulate, so Doubled up my sound deadening.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts