Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to find tire chains that fit a Transit.

After reading through past discussions on the forum I was keen to buy these:

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/THULE-KONIG-XG-12-Snow-chains/dp/B002LF7GYK/ref=pd_lutyp_simh_1_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B002LF0FFW&pd_rd_r=4Q77EM35PD52YMJ8EMEQ&pd_rd_w=uyjyZ&pd_rd_wg=AUzHM&refRID=4Q77EM35PD52YMJ8EMEQ&th=1[/ame]

Someone posted on the forum they had some to sell because they had gotten larger tires and his chains no longer fit. The person didn't respond to a PM so I began looking for retail.

When I found them on Amazon, the warning from Amazon was that they wouldn't fit my transit. Even the description of what sizes fit in the posted ad make Continental Vanco 4 season an excluded exception.

Recently I found out when looking at tires and I put in the exact tire of my van, Amazon still says it won't fit. So much for Amazon's credibility on what fits and what doesn't fit.

So I'm back to considering taking a chance and order the chains I want anyway.

So what would be the issue if these chains really don't fit? Would they be too big, or too small? Would it be something correctable by a rabid DIY'er?

·
Registered
68 Posts
I just went to my local Les Schwab tire store and they set me up with a pair. Price was maybe $10 more than Amazon, but at least I know for sure that they fit...

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
Tis the season for unused tire chains to start showing up in Goodwill.
I saw some diamond track chains from Les Schwab new in the bag for $10. Unfortunately, I could find no mention of the size anywhere, even though the receipt for $120 was also in the bag.

I have my diamond pattern chains from my Sprinter, and all I had to do was remove two links on the outside fastening chain to get them to fit perfectly (225/75/16 Sprinter to 235/60/16 Transit)

·
Registered
98 Posts
These worked for me on the VanCo tires:

THULE | KONIG XG-12 PRO 225 Snow chains, set of 2

Very easy to put on also.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Used them for about 8 miles at Mt Hood Meadows Ski Area last week. Van was very scary without them. My van is now at QuadVan for 4x4, so I will sell chains if someone wants them, 8 miles total use

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Thanks, I appreciate the info. I cancelled an order for 245's I already ordered, PM'd you to buy yours but no response (yet), submitted a new order for 225's. In both cases, ordered used. Cost dropped from $117 for 245 set to $67 for the 225 set.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Sorry, looked but don’t see a PM (maybe I’m not looking in the right place!).
I can match that price but I’m not going back to Portland for a couple of weeks (chains are in the van).

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Sorry, looked but don’t see a PM (maybe I’m not looking in the right place!).
I can match that price but I’m not going back to Portland for a couple of weeks (chains are in the van).
Sorry, I wasn't referring to you about the PM. It was a forumite (ex) with the handle "Rondo".

I'm expecting the ones I bought via AMZ to arrive Tues otherwise would have been willing to wait or even travel to you.

* Edit - Oops, I see now I did say I PM'd you. Whatever I thought I did, I see from looking in my sent folder I didn't do it. Sorry again.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

i should be too embarrassed to admit I got sucker punched here but for the sake of potential readers in the future...

amac's claim here is crap. I received a set of the Konig 225/65 R16's and they don't come even close to fitting. Way way way too small.:eek:

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Final word on Konig tire chains for Transit

Today I received the set of used Konig XG-12 Pro 245 chains I ordered thru Amazon.

Ordered despite Amazon message warning these would not fit my van (Continental Vanco Four Seasons 235-65 16).

They fit perfectly and were easy to install. There appears to be no threat of the chain entangling with the brake lines.

I'm puzzled why even the Konig website says these chains will not fit.

The chains retail for $279.99 - Used chains were $110.00

The chains are not used. I believe that what they are is chains that were returned after someone purchased them without ever using them. The box they came in was beat-up and had a bit of patchwork. I took both sets out and scrutinized them for anything missing. Both chains perfect with all bits and pieces still unopened.

Surly Bill advised getting the diamond pattern type of chain (if I remember correctly) so I've been determined ever since to get these. They look like a great chain set. The self tightening works very slick. There was plainly a bunch of slack that needed to be taken up after they were hooked up but rolling forward and back about 5 feet and they were snug as seen in the photos.

Attachments

·
Registered
246 Posts
Today I received the set of used Konig XG-12 Pro 245 chains I ordered thru Amazon.

Ordered despite Amazon message warning these would not fit my van (Continental Vanco Four Seasons 235-65 16).

They fit perfectly and were easy to install. There appears to be no threat of the chain entangling with the brake lines.

I'm puzzled why even the Konig website says these chains will not fit.

The chains retail for $279.99 - Used chains were $110.00

The chains are not used. I believe that what they are is chains that were returned after someone purchased them without ever using them. The box they came in was beat-up and had a bit of patchwork. I took both sets out and scrutinized them for anything missing. Both chains perfect with all bits and pieces still unopened.

Surly Bill advised getting the diamond pattern type of chain (if I remember correctly) so I've been determined ever since to get these. They look like a great chain set. The self tightening works very slick. There was plainly a bunch of slack that needed to be taken up after they were hooked up but rolling forward and back about 5 feet and they were snug as seen in the photos.
Hi BB....

Looking at this set used: KONIG XG-12 PRO 255 Snow chains

What is the last number- 255?

(Yours are 245)

·
Registered
363 Posts
We have the Konig snow chains too.
Don't listen to Amazon; use the "Fit Guide" from Konig website: https://konigchain.com/fitguide-consumer/
--Make sure to select "I can't find my car" and go with tire size instead!--

The number (245, 255, etc.) is the size of the chains; you can find which size fits your tires using the fit guide above.

Very happy with ours; they do rub with the plastic trim at higher speed (the chains expand because of the centrifugal force), but we're OK with that.

https://faroutride.com/thule-snow-chains-review/

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have a pair of the Peerless ones. The first time I tried to use them I could NOT get them to stay on. Honestly you need to have a roll of duct tape or black electrical tape or something - the catch to hook them together is AWFUL. Other than that, they seem fine ... I ended up buying a pair of the KONIG XG-12 PRO 245 Snow chains from Amazon. They are WAY better to put on and stay on. Still have trouble in the ski hill parking lot though ...

·
Registered
363 Posts
Snow Chains

Just got new tires: KO2 LT255/70R16

Thule/Konig XG-12 PRO (Size 255) fits on them, but clearance is low (1/2" towards front) and they start rubbing with the plastic trim at above ~ 15-20 MPH. The noise is annoying but I can live with that. Was worried the chains wouldn't fit, glad to find out they do!

https://faroutride.com/ford-transit-larger-tires-upgrade/

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have a pair of the Peerless ones. The first time I tried to use them I could NOT get them to stay on. Honestly you need to have a roll of duct tape or black electrical tape or something - the catch to hook them together is AWFUL. Other than that, they seem fine ...
I just picked up my Nokian snow tires, so now I have winter tires and chains but no Transit yet. I noticed that they were similar size as my Kia Sedona mini van so I tried the Peerless Super Z6 chains and they fit the Sedona...barely I drove on the road for couple hundred feet and they stayed on. I don't know how you could have a problem with the chains coming off. They have a rubber tightener. Was it the backside fastener that kept coming loose? I can see if it wasn't kept tight it could come loose, but with right size chains it seems it would work. The Transit wheels are a little smaller than the Sedona so I'll need to test them when I get the van next week.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Just got new tires: KO2 LT255/70R16

Thule/Konig XG-12 PRO (Size 255) fits on them, but clearance is low (1/2" towards front) and they start rubbing with the plastic trim at above ~ 15-20 MPH. The noise is annoying but I can live with that. Was worried the chains wouldn't fit, glad to find out they do!

https://faroutride.com/ford-transit-larger-tires-upgrade/
I understand that you have the chains mostly due to the fact that they are required in certain areas. So how often do you find yourself having to use them?

·
Registered
98 Posts
i should be too embarrassed to admit I got sucker punched here but for the sake of potential readers in the future...

amac's claim here is crap. I received a set of the Konig 225/65 R16's and they don't come even close to fitting. Way way way too small.:eek:
Really sorry about that BabyBuffy, just saw your response, was a typo on my part (should have read PRO 240). I should be more careful.

Attachments

·
Registered
363 Posts
I understand that you have the chains mostly due to the fact that they are required in certain areas. So how often do you find yourself having to use them?
We used them only ONCE last winter; it's really unusual to use them. But that one time was a GREAT powder day at the resort, so it's worth it :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts