Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
Some heated batteries activate the heating element only when the battery is being charged. In this situation, it seems to me that the battery may charge more slowly, but battery life should be unaffected.

Agree?
Possibly. If I am reading their literature correctly, those would use the charger power to first warm up the batteries to operating temperature, then begin charging.

I could see this as very useful if the batteries are at 25 F and just need to warm up to 35 F to charge.

If the batteries are at 0 F and need to warm up to 35 F to charge, that is going to take a while. (37 Kg of thermal mass )

I see real value in the idea. If I lived somewhere that is routinely below 30 F and wanted to use LiFe batteries, I would be tempted to just keep the van at 40 F using a heater of some kind - all of the time.

Right now my own vehicle uses AGMs but > 70% of my customers want LiFe, even if they plan to use the van in snow areas.

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
I would not count on renogy batteries to keep my van warm if you are planning to use them where it really matters.

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
okay thanks. If I cancel my renogy order I could go with a different brand without the self heating function (I can’t afford the other brands with this function) and keep them in the cargo area or get AGMs and be able to keep them in the cab space. If you feel like it, can you explain why you have a negative opinion of the renogy batteries? Just general low quality?
There is literally nothing that they sell that I would recommend. I have seen some of their stuff on vans that come into my shop with problems and sometimes it puts me one step away from a stroke.

Before I suggest alternatives for the batteries, tell us a bit more about your goals for power / solar / how often you will drive, will it be routinely plugged in / inverter power use, etc.

If you like, feel free to send a PM.

I am also not sure if you live in the PNW part of Canada or a place that gets really cold.

_

Consider to mock up a cardboard box the size of a few batteries like the size 27s and size 31XTs and see what will really fit in that location.

When I build electrical systems for customers, it is typically 2 batteries for a 1 kW type setup and 4 batteries for a 2 kW setup. Does not really matter if they are Lifeline AGMs or BB LiFe as they are both pretty close for continuous discharge capability.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts