Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Ford Transit 150 Medium Roof 148” Wheelbase
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car Motor vehicle Vehicle Car seat cover Automotive design

I have enough space behind the drivers seat and my partition to fit my house batteries (two cardboard templates at the moment) and I’m wondering if there are any downsides to this idea.

The batteries I’m getting are the self heating lithium batteries from renogy as I’ll primarily be on the west coast of Canada where winter temps can fall below freezing: 100Ah 12 Volt Smart Lithium Iron Phosphate Battery W/ Self-Heating Function

The batteries would be secured and the rest of the power station would be about 3 feet to the rear. I plan to connect to the alternator as well as solar. I also wonder if I could keep more components in the cab area mounted to the wall of the partition behind the seat.

I don’t have my whole system worked out yet so I’d love to hear pros and cons to this idea or if there’s anything else I should consider. It would be great to utilize the space.Thanks!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am curious about the the self heating reducing battery life? Is that because the temp of battery will not be uniform?
Or is there something in general with regard to the LiFPO4 chemistry at lower temps?

VS. big wires from the vehicle to the batteries in the back? Might be the same or similar. I suppose if reducing wire, then the placement would depend on charge rate vs discharge rate. Now if biggest discharge rate is an an inverter, then if inverter is also upfront in with the batteries, the long runs will be smaller ac wiring. If it's in the cold cab, maybe better for the inverter.

I suppose it might be possible to modified the partition toto box them (w/insulation) in so they were in the heated space.
maybe I could create an insulated battery box that is vented to the cargo area to allow the warmer air to reach it and prevent the self heating function from kicking in.
Can you elaborate on what you meant when you said the cold temps might be better for the inverter?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have my heated battery in an insulated box under the van. Plan to plug into shorepower 24/7 in cold temps. This winter is going to be the first test, should work in theory, we will see.
What brand did you go with?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Either battle born or consider Andyl's suggestion for LiFe.

For AGMs I use Lifeline GPL-27s
okay thanks. If I cancel my renogy order I could go with a different brand without the self heating function (I can’t afford the other brands with this function) and keep them in the cargo area or get AGMs and be able to keep them in the cab space. If you feel like it, can you explain why you have a negative opinion of the renogy batteries? Just general low quality?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts