Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2016, MR, 130"
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I am in the process of installing a propane tank on my van. I am using a Nash remote fill kit. My local RV place says they can only purge the tank off the vehicle. Non of the other propane place near me do purging. I live in the middle of nowhere.

Purging the tank before installing the remote kit doesn't seem like it would work. I have to remove the bleed valve from the tank to put in the remote bleed, thus exposing the tank to air. As well, the fill and vent lines will be full of air. If I went to the big city, would there be places that will purge it in place? The problem being, I am guessing, that since purging is done through the service valve (where you attach the regulator) that they would have to crawl under the van.

I do see a purge valve that I could buy to do it myself but I do not see any instructions on how to purge the fill and bleed lines of a remote fill kit. The bleed valve seems easy enough but the fill line I guess I would have to crack the fitting open to allow air to escape?

Any and all information on properly purging in this situation welcome!

·
Registered
575 Posts
Purging a tank is simply replacing the air inside with propane gas. Because air won't liquify as its compressed like propane will too much air in the tank or cylinder will not allow a complete fill and MAY give incorrect (lean) mixture at the appliance.
Your tank was exposed to air and water when it was hydro tested by the manufacturer.
The procedure I used was to inject a small amount of ethanol first and then add propane gas to the tank (ASME) or cylinder (DOT) and vent it off three times then fill the vessel. Your install would be a more complete purge if you did it after the remote fill was installed. The ethanol was to absorb any remaining water and to keep the regulator from freezing.
Any bulk propane supplier like Amerigas, Ferrelgas, etc. should be able to do this for you.

·
Registered
2016, MR, 130"
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Purging a tank is simply replacing the air inside with propane gas. Because air won't liquify as its compressed like propane will too much air in the tank or cylinder will not allow a complete fill and MAY give incorrect (lean) mixture at the appliance.
Your tank was exposed to air and water when it was hydro tested by the manufacturer.
The procedure I used was to inject a small amount of ethanol first and then add propane gas to the tank (ASME) or cylinder (DOT) and vent it off three times then fill the vessel. Your install would be a more complete purge if you did it after the remote fill was installed. The ethanol was to absorb any remaining water and to keep the regulator from freezing.
Any bulk propane supplier like Amerigas, Ferrelgas, etc. should be able to do this for you.
Sadly, both Ferrel and Amerigas say they don't have the facility to do the purge here. One of the disadvantages of living rural. I know that purging is getting rid of the air in the tank. I went ahead and ordered a purge valve so I can do it myself.

A couple questions: How much and what type of ethanol did you add? And how does one purge the remote fill line? It seems like it just has a flapper type valve so I guess just hold that open after the main purge.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Sadly, both Ferrel and Amerigas say they don't have the facility to do the purge here. One of the disadvantages of living rural. I know that purging is getting rid of the air in the tank. I went ahead and ordered a purge valve so I can do it myself.

A couple questions: How much and what type of ethanol did you add? And how does one purge the remote fill line? It seems like it just has a flapper type valve so I guess just hold that open after the main purge.
I worked for Amerigas and frankly, I'm disappointed with them. For whatever reason they are brushing you off. They have to be able to purge or they can't put new tanks into service. In Alaska off the road system so I did do lot of things most stores didn't do.
I ordered 50 gallon drums of ethanol from an industry supplier.
HEET brand gas line anti-freeze in the yellow bottle I believe is ethanol and one bottle would probably be enough
BE SURE it isn't pre-purged. If it is it will be under vacuum and you simply fill them without losing the vacuum first. There will be labels.

·
Registered
2016, MR, 130"
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I worked for Amerigas and frankly, I'm disappointed with them. For whatever reason they are brushing you off. They have to be able to purge or they can't put new tanks into service. In Alaska off the road system so I did do lot of things most stores didn't do.
I ordered 50 gallon drums of ethanol from an industry supplier.
HEET brand gas line anti-freeze in the yellow bottle I believe is ethanol and one bottle would probably be enough
BE SURE it isn't pre-purged. If it is it will be under vacuum and you simply fill them without losing the vacuum first. There will be labels.
Yeah, they may be blowing me off. Or it may be true and they just have pre-purged tanks brought over. The local RV place wouldn't purge it with it mounted on the van. Liability probably. It isn't pre-purged. It has a label from Manchester saying it needs to be purged and when I put the fitting for the remote bleed in there was no odor.

Ok, so 12 oz of Heet for a 25# tank sounds good? Procedure wise do you have any advice for the purge?

Many thanks, much appreciated.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts