Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On some of the FB groups I follow, people have been talking about a pull out kitchen design from under the bed platform. The pull out areas would be accessed through the two rear doors. They are looking for designs that would "wall off" the back area when the back doors are open, preventing the elements (and bugs) from entering.

Just curious, do any of you have this type of set up? How do you like it?

·
Registered
150 Posts
On some of the FB groups I follow, people have been talking about a pull out kitchen design from under the bed platform. The pull out areas would be accessed through the two rear doors. They are looking for designs that would "wall off" the back area when the back doors are open, preventing the elements (and bugs) from entering.

Just curious, do any of you have this type of set up? How do you like it?
I'm about 95% done my own custom pull-out kitchen. Since I have a passenger van and usually sleep in tents, it made sense. I'll post photos of it when I'm done. I have 4 drawers in, stove and RV sink. I took a lot of inspiration from PullKitchen

·
Registered
2021 HR Extended AWD Transit T-250
339 Posts
Here is a write-up I did on the slide-out kitchen I built for our Sprinter. It did everything we needed but I did not do it again on the Transit since we ended up using the van in colder weather than we originally thought we would. Thus, the we have the kitchen inside the van this time.

This last write-up about the fridge install is where I changed the kitchen enclosure from 3/4" plywood to 80/20:

I did the kitchen out the side door because the rear is occupied by sliding trays for bikes.

·
Registered
2020 High-Extended AWD EcoBoost Cargo with windows
3,277 Posts
Not what you're asking... but just as a thought-nudge... we used to remove the whole galley from our Sprinter for a week at housekeeping camp in Yosemite. It's possible with our Transit galley as well - but it's heavier.

Motor vehicle Vehicle Wood Truck Vehicle door

Wood Gas Machine Metal Shelving

·
Registered
154 Posts
I bought a van because I want to cook inside of it, while sitting and otherwise relaxing, away from bugs and rain. I can always go eat outside if it's nice and there are no bugs.

Having it be mandatory to stand and cook outside seems so limiting. And primitive.

But there are probably reasons I'm missing...

·
Registered
2020 High-Extended AWD EcoBoost Cargo with windows
3,277 Posts
I bought a van because I want to cook inside of it, while sitting and otherwise relaxing, away from bugs and rain. I can always go eat outside if it's nice and there are no bugs.

Having it be mandatory to stand and cook outside seems so limiting. And primitive.

But there are probably reasons I'm missing...
How's it go? The customer is always right in matters of taste... 😄

And based on the grease-splatter from some cooking I've seen, I could see a benefit... 🤔

·
Registered
550 Posts

And based on the grease-splatter from some cooking I've seen, I could see a benefit... 🤔
This is why we have always had a microwave, and now freezer and Instant Pot.

·
Registered
106 Posts
This is done by off-readers quite a lot since they often use rooftop tents and the like. I’d suggest looking at products like the Morryde Jeep Trail Kitchen. That’s designed by a really cool guy named Jeff Scherb who goes by “jscherb” on most forums. I only mention it because he’s a guy that would TOTALLY fit in really well here if he were a van guy because he’s done some amazing DIY stuff (particularly with fiberglass tops on Jeeps, but also done full custom small trailers and whatnot).

Anyway, obviously your build out would need to be such that walls exist to help with the aforementioned bug problem, but outside of that, the products one might use for a pull-out kitchen are very similar to the Jeep/truck folks (I’ve seen this done under tonneau covers on pickups, too). Anyway, point is you may have to venture outside #vanlife forums to get more info on this kind of stuff.

I’d bet TheBugWall folks would be willing to make you a custom rear wall that was only the top half since your bottom half wouldn’t need it, which could give both screens and a closed soft wall.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts