Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Changed the PTU oil in my AWD Transit today at 6500 miles. Wanted to do it at 5000 miles but time got away from me. Draining access was EZ with a T50 Torx bit. Ford put in a magnetic drain plug and mine had a good layer of gunk on it. This picture was after I cleaned the plug.

I drained out 24oz of fluid and put in 30oz for a net gain of 6 ounces!

I put some Teflon tape on the threads for the next oil change.

Filling can be a slow process if you don't have MightyVac or it's equivalent to pump the gear oil into the fill port. Or if you are poor and cheap like me, tape a funnel to the passenger side fender and run a line to the fill port.

I'm not a big fan of Motorcraft oils so I replaced the fluid with Red Line 75W-140.

Now I can rest EZ knowing my little PTU is bathing in fresh happy juice. With less than a quart of fluid in the PTU and the heavy weight of the Transit it has to push around, I'll probably change out the oil every 10,000 miles for now on.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Thanks for the write up, i've been thinking about changing mine sooner than later as well. Is the fill port pretty easy to get at too?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's not hard to get to or remove the fill plug BUT you likely will want to use a long fill line running to the fill port. A pump capable of moving thick gear oil will speed the process or as I stated a funnel with a long line that runs from outside the vehicle.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts