Ford Transit USA Forum banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
859 Posts
When deciding between an inside vs outside propane tank, it is important to remember that the outside tank will fail you when you need it the most.

When the temperature drops to around -40F the liquid propane in the tank will not be able to convert to gas. It won't work until the propane warms up.

This problem disappears with an inside tank, as long as the inside is kept heated.
Dang, that’s going to put a real damper on my recreational camping plans. My goal was to stay away from +100f days and stay below +70 @ night, preferably below 60…and be safe down to maybe +20f. My propane tank won’t be the only thing failing if I ever park where it’s -45f. but I respect that some of you have much bigger (winter) goals. I guess I’m a wuss.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
299 Posts
One of the reason given for having a propane tank in a locker (inside) is ease of refill. I don't understand this reason, You have to open the locker, disconnect the tank, lift the tank out and take it someplace to be refilled, put it back in the locker , reconnect the tank and close the locker. Where as if you have an external mounted tank you drive to the propane station, stand up and point to where the tank is, some nice person comes out and fills the tank as we have a nice chat, and then I pay him, what could be easier?

And I know the cost of tanks has gone up like everything else so cost is an issue.

Exceptions:
having 2 tanks and disconnecting one to go get it filled
using those exchange a tank places for a refill (still harder in my book)

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
After digging into this idea I believe the a tube is needed at the tank on the relief/safety valve which is opposite the connector. The vent on the regulator is there to allow the backside of the pressure diagram to move without pressure building up and not to vent propane. This first diagram shows this function at #9. The second shows one way to attach a clear vinyl tube to the relief/safety valve. The last diagram shows the functions of the tank valve with a threaded relief valve (threaded ones are found on larger tanks).

View attachment 165471

View attachment 165473

View attachment 165474
No, It was in the instructions that came with the regulator, It clearly says propane vent. Also the one you have pictured is only a Single Stage regulator, This one for my heater is a Two Stage regulator.
The vent hose screws on at the bottom of the regulator under that round part.

Automotive lighting Camera Camera lens Camera accessory Flash photography

·
Registered
997 Posts
One of the reason given for having a propane tank in a locker (inside) is ease of refill. I don't understand this reason, You have to open the locker, disconnect the tank, lift the tank out and take it someplace to be refilled, put it back in the locker , reconnect the tank and close the locker. Where as if you have an external mounted tank you drive to the propane station, stand up and point to where the tank is, some nice person comes out and fills the tank as we have a nice chat, and then I pay him, what could be easier?

And I know the cost of tanks has gone up like everything else so cost is an issue.

Exceptions:
having 2 tanks and disconnecting one to go get it filled
using those exchange a tank places for a refill (still harder in my book)

It is easier with respect to finding places to swap the tank out vs finding a place to have your permanent tank refilled. Most people aren’t talking about easy vs hard when it comes to the actual process of refill or swap, but easy vs hard when it comes to access and availability. They even have locations now that are automated, like vending machines, and open 24/7.

They take any brand used tank, so you can use any company, Amerigas, blue rhino etc.

They also have apps and/or websites so you can look up locations. Locations are all over.

There are 19 blue rhino locations within 10 minutes of my house, half of those within 5 minutes. I am sure the other companies are similar. They are everywhere.

You could also just have the tank refilled at a propane station if that was your only choice.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Swappable / portable tanks win the convenience war IMHO, but utilizing undervan space has its merit too. Your choice. I was lucky to have bought mine before the now-becoming-ludicrous price-gouging jumped into high gear.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I would never want a propane tank in my van. We've been filling 20# tanks for the last 8 years with our trailer and they always stink of propane. Maybe you can wash them off, yet despite it all am very glad there was a great solution for an undermount tank. Yep- $700, however it is outside.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am using propane in my van for Propex, cooktop and Suburban on-demand water heater. I decided to store the propane tank like they do in the marine industry: in a sealed locker inside the vehicle with an outside vent thru the bottom. I chose a 10lb tank (shorter version of the BBQ tank) and built a sealed baltic birch locker (approx 15 x 15 x 18 high). Its very accessible from the rear doors and I have the tank filled at U-Haul 2 blocks away. It has a solenoid with a lighted toggle switch on the galley, so you know when the gas is on. I manually turn the gas off at the tank enroute. I can get about 3 gals of liquid propane in the tank and it will last 2-8 weeks on a road trip depending on temps (The propex sips propane but can cycle frequently in the cold). Of course, I have a propane detector alarm mounted inside the van near the floor. This system works great and I would absolutely do it this way again. The boaters figured out the locker system a long time ago and they still use it.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I constantly see posts about insurance disallowing claim because of this and that and the other thing not being to federal standards or codes or statutes.

Yet, when it comes to LPG installations in our vans we have zero problems with ignoring all of the above.

You assume all liability when you design and build and use a system with no citable authority for how you did it.

·
Registered
997 Posts
I constantly see posts about insurance disallowing claim because of this and that and the other thing not being to federal standards or codes or statutes.

Yet, when it comes to LPG installations in our vans we have zero problems with ignoring all of the above.

You assume all liability when you design and build and use a system with no citable authority for how you did it.
A propane tank in a vented locker is proper and accepted by organizations for rvs, boats etc…..

·
Registered
2019 MR non-ext
121 Posts
I just followed the advice of my Canadian boat heater manufacturer, Only the propane regulator needs to be vented.
They included a fitting on the regulator for a screw on vent hose.
My tank has been under my bed for over five years now, The under bed area is semi sealed from the living space but it is not a air tight seal.
Last time I brought this vented propane regulator idea everybody thought I was crazy.
I did something similar…vented the regulator to the outside of the van. But I connected the same vent line to the propane tank vent outlet too. So much easier than building a sealed propane tank box. I do wonder how many sealed boxes are really sealed.

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
citable authority
Do you know where one might find the appropriate regulations/documentation.
Of course, even with that you might need to have the proper qualifications/training/certification.
But a understanding of the regulations would be helpful to know what to look for in a professional.

·
Registered
859 Posts
I wonder if Winnebago, Forest River, Airstream etc have lobbyists…or “plants” in the insurance co’s? I understand, if a collision causes my tank or fittings to catch on fire, or explode, I would understand…though if I wasn’t the guilty party in the wreck, I can see getting effed over more than a victim in a “store-bought”solution.

Don’t get me wrong, I would love to find someone who would “certify” my setup…even if they had to alter it to get it to comply. So far, checking only with a handful of local yokels, I’ve come away empty-handed. Maybe in some other state???

·
Registered
165 Posts
Was going to have a local propane distributor who also does RV repairs in Paso Robles, CA hang my GoWesty tank then found someone closer. You could call them to see: Delta Liquid Energy; 805239-0616. Ask for RV repairs and most likely will hear the shop mgr. Matt asking you to leave a message. He will call back, although it could take a day; they're busy like all RV shops.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I would never want a propane tank in my van. We've been filling 20# tanks for the last 8 years with our trailer and they always stink of propane. Maybe you can wash them off, yet despite it all am very glad there was a great solution for an undermount tank. Yep- $700, however it is outside.
If your propane tanks stink, they are leaking. I've never had a tank smell that didn't have a bit of a leak. At least not for more than 30sec after it was filled.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I was planning to use an under-mount tank until I saw the cost nearing $700-$800, and sometimes thought the standard 20lb. tank would always be easier to fill and one could always lug around an extra tank. FarOutRide shows a sealed plywood built locker with a vent hole in the bottom - pretty easy and under $100. Only downside is a loss of interior space and weight at the very rear of the van.

For those that are using a propane Propex heater - what are you using for tanks?
I built a box modeled after Far Out Ride and its in the same place. Though I only have the LWB the size and weight really isn't that much when you compare it to other items like water and such. It also made the gas lines really short for my kitchen which sits about the rear axle and my on-demand hot water sits above the tank. Once I buy my Propex which i had to put off due to money getting tight it will also only be a couple of feet max from the tank.

·
Registered
2020 LWB Tall AWD
23 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
If your propane tanks stink, they are leaking. I've never had a tank smell that didn't have a bit of a leak. At least not for more than 30sec after it was filled.
They stink after they are filled for quite a while. Sometimes I will take a tank from my trailer and carry it in tow vehicle to get filled then carry it back and usually it will stink up the SUV noticeably until it is removed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
When deciding between an inside vs outside propane tank, it is important to remember that the outside tank will fail you when you need it the most.

When the temperature drops to around -40F the liquid propane in the tank will not be able to convert to gas. It won't work until the propane warms up.

This problem disappears with an inside tank, as long as the inside is kept heated.
I have a 20lb tank. Regulator and tank are in a sealed box inside the van. Vent to outside is directly under the regulator. At -14 F the propex heater will shut down when running full blast. Any thoughts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Love it! Bought the same. But I'm finding it's easier to find tanks to swap than refill. I'm rethinking after a $600 tank
I have never had a problem finding a place to fill it. I have one place a mile away from my house and 5 places within 4 to 5 miles. That and I don't have to fill it that often to begin with.

·
Registered
859 Posts
I have a 20lb tank. Regulator and tank are in a sealed box inside the van. Vent to outside is directly under the regulator. At -14 F the propex heater will shut down when running full blast. Any thoughts
Let us know if you figure out the problem. I probably have one of the more vulnerable arrangements with external tank, and external HS2211 heater. I’ve wondered if on a super-cold night, the heated air would even still be hot by the time it got inside my van, though I do have the duct tubing encased in a larger tubing for some modest level of protection from rock strikes and super cold.

Do you have a 2-stage regulator?

21 - 40 of 43 Posts