Ford Transit USA Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm in the process of building a locker to the NFPA standards. As well as this I'm putting in a propane/CO monitor. To make it easy to use I'm also installing a gas solinoid valve so the propane can be turned on and off quickly.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
A different approach is to use refillable 1# bottles. If you purchase the refillables from our local "Sports Basement" store you can return the empties for full at no cost.

I store the bottles in a sealed plastic ammo can from Cabela's. Small bottles do allow the two burner propane stove to be used outside the van.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
3. Have a locker on board with a vent out the bottom (like a boat) is like having a bomb on board. The gas if leaking will fill up the locker (leak will come from the top of tank) then vent out the bottom, and can travel along the ground to a campfire, smoker, or some other flame/ignition source. The fire will then go back to the leaky tank.
No. Propane is heavier than air. It will leak out the bottom and NOT fill up the locker....that's why the bottom is open/vented. Outside it will disperse. It won't make a nice little trail to the flame source.
Unless somebody walks up next to your vehicle having a smoke and we all now what smokers do with there butts , if it gets flicked to the ground where the propane is leaking out bye bye van and you might have to take a visit to the burn unit or the morgue after they get your body cooled down and not smoking anymore.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I bought the regulator Michael is using and will be venting the regulator with a hose out the bottom. Seems like a perfectly good solution. Regulator arrives next week.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm in the process of building a locker to the NFPA standards. As well as this I'm putting in a propane/CO monitor. To make it easy to use I'm also installing a gas solinoid valve so the propane can be turned on and off quickly.

The solenoid came with my locker, and it's going to be a very important safety feature. My build has a kitchen with a propane broiler, and I'm making a hood vent that will contain a thermal cutoff that shuts off the propane in the event of a fire. The propane locker will be in back, under the bed.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I will be putting my propane tank under the vehicle, but with it being inside, a solenoid valve and a good propane/carbon monoxide detector .

·
Registered
41 Posts

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I used to have a Propane heater with a 20 # propane tank in a box vented to the outside , I couldn't wait to get rid of it , much better options these days , I think diesal is the way to go even if you have a gas van , The Espar heater and a 6 gallon fuel tank from Bass pro works perfect , way easier to fuel up too and with the Basspro tank you can dump in Seafoam cleaner once a year to clean the gunk out of the heater .

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just curious but why do you feel it's dangerous?

Because it's not designed to have a hose attached to it. To my thinking, a pressure relief valve on a tank of hazardous fuel should be left alone to function exactly as it was designed. 20 years ago, not far from me, a house blew up because the homeowner did his own dangerous DIY propane installation. It was a holiday gathering, and seven of his family members died. I dunno... altering the function of a safety device on a propane tank just strikes me as really really stupid.

The $500 they're saving over propane bottles is what a marine locker costs, and the cost of them simply creating a proper propane locker would have been nothing. Sure, those kids will probably be just fine, but why take a chance with your life to save a few hundred bucks?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I used to have a Propane heater with a 20 # propane tank in a box vented to the outside , I couldn't wait to get rid of it , much better options these days , I think diesal is the way to go even if you have a gas van , The Espar heater and a 6 gallon fuel tank from Bass pro works perfect , way easier to fuel up too and with the Basspro tank you can dump in Seafoam cleaner once a year to clean the gunk out of the heater .

The propane broiler in my steakhouse build requires a big tank. I looked into having an external tank installed, but I don't know who I can get to do the installation. And after reading on another thread about an exterior tank install that hung kinda low, I decided I'd rather just use BBQ tanks that I can get anywhere. Diesel fuel would be a great heater fuel option for me except I hate the smell of diesel fuel.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I have mine in a 3/4" ply locker that is sealed and vented through the floor.

I have a small hatch door big enough to fit my hand through to work the valve. I turn it on and off manually every time except when I forget.

It may not be the safest, but, oh well

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I store the bottles in a sealed plastic ammo can from Cabela's. Small bottles do allow the two burner propane stove to be used outside the van.
Thanks for the idea. Not sure those ammo can seals are really designed to resist significant internal pressure if a tank valve failed completely, but it's something for peace of mind.

I got brass caps for the 1" threaded valves of US 1 pound propane mini-tanks between uses. They are easy to find. https://www.ebay.com/itm/5pcs-Heavy-Duty-Brass-Cap-1-LB-Propane-Bottle-Small-Gas-Tank-Cylinder-Cap/283279730191?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

For 7/16" UNEF threaded valves on propane / butane camping canisters, there are many fabricators and vendors of female 7/16" UNEF to male 1" thread adapters, which could then be capped with the 1" caps. Also easy to find. For a direct 7/16" cap, there seems to be only one version sold by several ebay identities ostensibly located in Shenzhen China. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Perfeclan-Camping-Gas-Tank-Cylinder-Cap-Propane-Bottle-Safety-Protective-Cap-/293155767208?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10

Female 1" threads to male 7/16" UNEF thread adapters for using 1 pound bottle propane with 7/16" Lindal valve canister stoves are also available.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Thanks for the idea. Not sure those ammo can seals are really designed to resist significant internal pressure if a tank valve failed completely, but it's something for peace of mind.

I got brass caps for the 1" threaded valves of US 1 pound propane mini-tanks between uses.
Agree. I will buy the caps suggested. Ammo can would not retain the propane if a valve failed.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I don't like the bottle hanging in midair by its port like that. A mass at the end of the pot metal regulator seems like a nasty torque point if the van is hit, goes over bumps, etc.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
They are making 5 pound propane tanks now, kind of expensive but it might make building a propane locker easier. It might fit inside of a 5 gallon bucket with a lid.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
What does everyone do as far as propane safety precautions? How do you store your propane, inside or outside?
I found this YouTube helpful: 'Installing LPG in a Self Build Camper Van', by Greg Virgoe
The video is a walkthru of the British BSI standard for propane in campervans.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts