Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The new face of the FIAT Ducato just broke cover, same goes for the Peugeot/Citroen derivatives. Now RAM has not made an official statement on the refresh, but one has to imagine they very well may choose to facelift the Promaster as well.

The face is one of the biggest points of contention for promaster (why dont ask me, its a commercial van ;))

·
Registered
640 Posts
I see promasters all the time (not far from the chysler tech center),the only diference is the one piece bumper. You could change it so everyone thinks its a ducato (which it is) A very ulgy van, but if you are just buying it for function, it looks like it may work. Another Fiat product to replace a American product. We are getting the best one (the Transit) every thing else can fight for 2nd place.

VanMan

·
Registered
85 Posts
A vast improvement over the current Ducato/Promaster. I'd probably consider this van more seriously, but for the low towing capability.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I'm pretty sure that the Promaster is not going to receive a facelift. That is because the Promaster just recently came out. Why would they spend the money to update a vehicle which they just put out a year ago? I just really do not think its going to happen, but I do agree that the Ducato looks nice with its new face.

·
Registered
61 Posts
What needs changing on the Promaster is the driver ergonomics for anyone over 6'. A facelift isn't going to get tall drivers more legroom & a comfortable driving position.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
The ergonomics aren't even good for a 5'6" driver, at least not one that is used to a NCV3 Sprinter with tilt wheel.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Have you guys had the chance to sit in a Promaster, or is this just stuff that you have read about it? The Promaster is the same as many vans in Europe, so I'm also wondering if all those vans have the same problems with ergonomics.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I always found the promaster to be ugly, at least with it's front end, and this helps. would like to see it styled like this

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Have you guys had the chance to sit in a Promaster, or is this just stuff that you have read about it? The Promaster is the same as many vans in Europe, so I'm also wondering if all those vans have the same problems with ergonomics.
I sat in one at a dealership, and another at The North American Auto Show in Detroit. To me the '07 and newer Sprinters w/ tilt wheel were way more comfortable to drive long distances in than the T1N Sprinters with the bus-like wheel position. The Promaster is even worse than those. I think in Europe as utility vehicles it's just accepted, as were the earlier Sprinters.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have taken 2 separate test drives in 2 different PM's. My 6'4" body could not get comfortable regardless of how I tried to position the seat & steering wheel. The PM is a disaster for tall drivers, can't imagine spending more than 30 minutes behind the wheel.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'm 5'9" and drove one across town... Found it to be pretty comfortable. No tilting column is dumb though, and I suspect it would be fatiguing if you're one of the people that really racks up hours behind the wheel (me)

The new design does look nice. We'll probably see something like that in 4 years~

·
Registered
640 Posts
I just looked at a bunch of them at a high volume chysler dealership. The bodywork for a new vehicle looks very cheap (typical FIAT work).
Biggest stand out was the dealers old 2011-2012 dodge branded NGV Sprinter, it was dirty but still looked WAY better than all the 0 miles promaster ducatos.
They are bringing a knife to a gun fight
You WANT a Transit or a Sprinter, everything else looks like a wet cardboard box.

VanMan

·
Registered
539 Posts
kinda sad that older models look better than the newer ones, when that happens you know something is likely wrong with the picture

·
Registered
640 Posts
It was the nicest one out of about 15 of them, Blue pearl paint, fully paneled interior (cargo) but the rear quarter panel had a oil can bow to it in the recess where the side door slides. Looks like the interior bulkhead deformed the outer panel when welded and the dark color made it stand out. I looked at all the others but this one was clearly made F-up'ed. The seats look not very wide, I take 8-9 hours driving trips and comfort is a big deal (cruise control,air, good radio).
I noticed the steering wheel and its not like the NGV Sprinter they had (they should hide that before people notice it) was dodge badged,one of the last before Mercedes dumped them.

VanMan

·
Registered
216 Posts
the promasters are a tad cheaply put together from the time i got with one. that is why ive decided to hold off and see what is coming next

1 - 18 of 18 Posts