Ford Transit USA Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm not sure all comments above are an accurate comparison.

It was explained to me (by tint company) that the Ford transit dot matrix is different than most.
With the dots in excess and raised on back of glass instead of being in bedded between layers.

Tint company that installed has been in business for over 20 years with 5 star rating.

Turns out after some searching online the dot matrix is a problem throughout the auto tinting industry.

A good write up here
www.windowfilmmag.com/2014/01/the-window-tint-dot-matrix-dilemma/

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I have an 2018 with factory rear tint, with 5% (I think it was 5...it was the darkest they had) tint over it. You can't see the dot matrix that the film is adhered to well. Hard to see in. This is also over the defroster elements; can't see them at all. Well, maybe if you stare at it for 5 minutes in the right light. The same place I had this done at has tinted 3 vehicles for me. I still own a 2005 Honda Civic they did, tint looks brand new still. They use 3M.

If the tint company knows what they are doing, they can go over anything, including the defroster elements. I believe they sand them down (rough it up) somehow.
I ended up ordering the factory tint in the hope that the already more blackened appearance will help if I tint over it. Sounds exactly what you experienced. I am planning to do some of the back windows with a 5% tint.

I don't think that it is an issue with which tinter you choose. It seems like a general problem in the industry. From what I have read, sanding rarely works due to the dots being a hard ceramic. Some tinters do a vinyl strip over the dot matrix and then follow with the tint film. I guess the vinyl adheres better to the dots. The issue is that the dots are high and the tint film isn't soft enough to conform to the dot profile.

I have a few more weeks until my wagon arrives ...:)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a basic low roof cargo 150. No rear defrost. Can I just take a razor to the window and slice the dot matrix off before going to the tint shop? I'm planning on going almost blackout on the back windows.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a basic low roof cargo 150. No rear defrost. Can I just take a razor to the window and slice the dot matrix off before going to the tint shop? I'm planning on going almost blackout on the back windows.
BUMP!
That was my thought too, razor to scrape away. But I'm sure we're not the only ones. Anyone actually try, or heard of success?

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
21 - 28 of 28 Posts