Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to order a 350 Wagon and have read about tinting vs factory privacy glass. Leaning towards the factory glass even if I might end up tinting more on the rear windows. One of the things I didn't see discussed is the dot matrix around the window edge. I usually don't like seeing this light colored band around the windows when they are tinted aftermarket.

Does the factory privacy glass still have a dot matrix around?

If yes, has someone tinted over those and is the "white band" less visible?

·
Registered
764 Posts
I have a 350 wagon, I don't remember where the dot matrix is, I will check it later, from experience tint does not stick well to dot matrix.

I have factory tint and I am going to add 5% limo on top of that.

·
Registered
82 Posts
The “dot matrix” is called a frit.

My 150 wagon has factory privacy glass and the frit is quite narrow. It also has 3m 5% on the windows behind the front doors and the frit isn’t visible at all from outside the vehicle unless you are right up on it looking for it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I am about to order a 350 Wagon and have read about tinting vs factory privacy glass. Leaning towards the factory glass even if I might end up tinting more on the rear windows. One of the things I didn't see discussed is the dot matrix around the window edge. I usually don't like seeing this light colored band around the windows when they are tinted aftermarket.

I've tinted several of our passenger vans. The guy here in Boston charges me $400 for any tint (limo or 25%) and this is considered cheap. Take my advise, save yourself a hassle and order factory privacy tint for $600. The film that contractors use fade away after 5-7 years (contractors statement) especially if the vehicle is in Southern states with prolonged exposure to sun.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have the factory privacy tint on my windows. From a distance it appears dark but within a foot, the tint is not sufficient for privacy or hiding what is inside. I was surprised and disappointed in how light the privacy tint actually is. If I had to do it over again I would have have ordered non tinted windows and had them tinted with a limo grade tint, which I am going to have done soon.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I also have the factory privacy glass in my wagon, but since it is just a darker shade of glass without additional UV protection, I had Formula One Llumar PL-30 added to all the windows. This still allows me to see out the side windows which the limo tint would have hindered. It came with a full lifetime warranty against cracking, crazing, demetallizing, delaminating or color change. Any problems just have to bring it back, dealer will remove old and replace. :D

Semper Fi

·
Registered
955 Posts
The local shop that I use in Texas deals with just 3M films.

Last time I was there was a whole list of "heat rejection" "shade darkness" "cell phone reception." 3M seems to list 100 variations, but he stocks about a dozen.

I ordered factory dark tint (panel van, rear windows) but still will add the 3M tint to the side and rear windows and side windows (CRL) once installed to match.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Just got my windows done on high roof . Limo on rear door windows and windshield strip down to legal line. Front doors 30% legal in Florida. Wasn't aware of dot matrix (frit) issue until after install.

Front doors look great but the outline on rear doors and windshield is ridiculous.

Black vinyl or perforated window vinyl maybe be a choice in the future.

·
Super Moderator
1,441 Posts
Hmm... that seems more pronounced than I remember on my last truck.

I wonder if it would be feasible to paint the frit in the inside with matt black paint, then install tint up to the leading edge of it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I agree not as noticeable on my other vehicles with 1 or 2 lines of dots but ford over did it with 7 lines of the dots full .25"
Around front and rear windows. Not looking as bad now with a more uniform line. Earlier with splotches because of moisture behind it I was not happy.

Looking better now just not how I thought it would look. Passing on so others can make an informed decision to tint /not to tint or other.

·
Registered
120 Posts

I have an 2018 with factory rear tint, with 5% (I think it was 5...it was the darkest they had) tint over it. You can't see the dot matrix that the film is adhered to well. Hard to see in. This is also over the defroster elements; can't see them at all. Well, maybe if you stare at it for 5 minutes in the right light. The same place I had this done at has tinted 3 vehicles for me. I still own a 2005 Honda Civic they did, tint looks brand new still. They use 3M.

If the tint company knows what they are doing, they can go over anything, including the defroster elements. I believe they sand them down (rough it up) somehow.

·
Registered
356 Posts
The tint my E van stuck well over the dot matrix on the rear side and rear rear door windows.

The earlier G and E Vans I had took rattle can black very well.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I went out and looked at my Civic and transit...both present many problems to tinters including the rear defroster & dots. Everything looks perfect. Someone that knows what they are doing will have no problem. For me, not a DIY. You want it done properly the first time and the only time it will ever be done for the life of the vehicle.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts