Ford Transit USA Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Awesome! Found the thread- thank you @[email protected]

The CrewVan is what our family will buy because of the second row drop down side curtain/canopy airbags (or whatever fancy term Ford uses for these). We don't want the passenger van because the airbags continue to the rear of the van and we will eventually be doing a bed and/or cabinet upfit in the back and we don't want to have a conflict with airbags. Additionally, with the CrewVan we can put in aftermarket windows in the rear cargo area. This will be a daily driver first and foremost and we really won't be camping in it much and won't require an RV type buildout.

I do find it strange when I see all these "other vans" with seats in the second row and even a bench seat in the back... aren't most of these vans cargo vans with NO second row airbags? Here is an example: Benchmark Vehicles Conversion Do people wing it and hope not to crash and need airbags for the rear passengers? Any insight into what is generally accepted for upfits that have a second or third row of seats in regards to safety?

Anyone else out there considering the CrewVan for their new van? Do you have kids and/passengers you are making safety accommodations for? Have any thoughts that you'd like to share regarding Crew versus Passenger that I should be aware of?

Thank you!

·
Registered
219 Posts
I understand the concern about the bags. I’m getting a cargo and I’m putting seats in the back. I also have 2 cars and they are old enough not to have rear airbags and I don’t think about it for a minute when I stick someone back there. Now they do have dedicated rear crash structures which the van won’t have. Does the Crew van have anything different in the side structure than a cargo aside from the bags?
If it was my kids I think I would get a Crew but it’s only going to be my friends so....

·
Registered
25 Posts
I understand the concern about the bags. I’m getting a cargo and I’m putting seats in the back. I also have 2 cars and they are old enough not to have rear airbags and I don’t think about it for a minute when I stick someone back there. Now they do have dedicated rear crash structures which the van won’t have. Does the Crew van have anything different in the side structure than a cargo aside from the bags?
If it was my kids I think I would get a Crew but it’s only going to be my friends so....
Very good point about the older vehicles not having the rear bags and people just going along with it :) The presumed added safety structure for those vehicles is also a good point- something I'm not sure of on the Transit vans. I don't think my 97' Tahoe has them and I do put my kid back there... but that is not really by choice as it's my only vehicle... but not for long ;) I have a two year old with another on the way.

Thanks for your insight!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Crew Van is a step in the right direction. Now, how about 2 ADULT sized bucket seats !
Cheers for the second row singles! Eventually (when time and money allow) we will be taking out the factory supplied bench seat and having x2 single captains seats professionally installed. These look absolutely killer and can be used as beds! Again, that whole money thing.

If we don't want the sleeping option seats from Wilderness Vans we will go with these second row swivel singles from Waldoch- I've spoken with them and they are swivel and quick release.

But yes, why on earth didn't Ford just offer friendlier rear seating configurations from the factory?!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Here are the pictures of the roof panels that has the air bags. This was the requirement that Ford said would have to be done for them to add the second row seating to make the CrewVan model back in 2017 when I was working with them to make it happen. With the design of this panel, the factory CrewVan model became a reality! View attachment 130286 View attachment 130288 View attachment 130286 View attachment 130287 View attachment 130288 View attachment 130287
@[email protected] - Looking at these photos again and noticed something... what is the cover/vent located to the lookers right of the overhead dome light? Also, this looks to have rear controls for A/C and/or Heat. I'm assuming the rear heater/blower is located under the passenger seat and has a single vent and the A/C is located in the rear cargo area on the floor, drivers side with a single vent... any clarification on what's in the photo and how the rear A/C and heat will be fashioned on the Crew? Thank you!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Cheers for the second row singles! Eventually (when time and money allow) we will be taking out the factory supplied bench seat and having x2 single captains seats professionally installed. These look absolutely killer and can be used as beds! Again, that whole money thing.

If we don't want the sleeping option seats from Wilderness Vans we will go with these second row swivel singles from Waldoch- I've spoken with them and they are swivel and quick release.

But yes, why on earth didn't Ford just offer friendlier rear seating configurations from the factory?!
Two captains chairs with center pass through would be ideal for my situation. Does anyone know if a transit 2 passenger bench will latch on?

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
If Ford is still using the seating configuration from the passenger van on the CrewVan model, then you should be able to remove the 62" 3 passenger seat and replace it with either the 54" 3 passenger seat or the 36" 2 passenger seat.
That is what Matt Ford is planning for with offering the Leather seating on the CrewVan with it Matt Ford CrewVan Edition as well as making the change on the 62" seat with either the 54" 3 passenger seat or the 36" 2 passenger seat.

For $1750 you can get the front seats along with the second row seat done in Charcoal or Pewter Leather. To change the second row seat to a 54" 3 passenger seat or a 36" 2 passenger seat would add another $400 to the price. This will be offered as one of the optional features for the Matt Ford CrewVan Edition along with some other added optional features.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Bringing back this forum thread with some new inquiries coming up about what the seating looks like and how the roof airbags are setup over the seating area. Hopefully by March 1st we should have the Matt Ford CrewVan on the lot and available to find out more about this special model. Worked on getting this model to production since 2017 and it has been a tough experience for Ford to get it to this point. With Ford making some changes we felt were not what the Transit buyer wanted for this model, we started our own Matt Ford CrewVan Edition to make available the parts of this model we felt needed to be addressed and offering those options.

The first part of the Matt Ford CrewVan Edition is offering the Leather seating package that Ford is not offering for the CrewVan model. You will have 2 choices for the seat color and BOTH the front passenger seats and the second row seat will have the same seating material. Next will be the offering of the 54" 3 passenger seat or the 36" 2 passenger seat with the Leather seating surfaces.

More options are to come as once we get the CrewVan in hand, we can come up with more things that might be wanted for this model.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you for all the info here CrewVanMan. You have been extremely responsive and helpful.

From outward appearance it seems the airbag setup is the same over the second row seat of the Crew as the Passenger. But I don’t know that for sure to be the case. I’m in the same boat (van) as some of the others here. My kids will be riding in that second row. I want the Crew BUT only if it’s just as safe for the second row passengers as the Passenger Wagon. If it isn’t, I’ll get the wagon.

Is there any way for us to know if there’s a difference between the two for the second row occupants?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Has anyone seen pictures of a production crew van yet? Ive been looking online everywhere and can not find one.
The first group of February builds have already started with one Transit built on 2/4 now completed and the other one for 2/7 still showing on the assembly line near completion. Next up will be the Matt Ford CrewVan on 2/11 already sent to the plant with the body structure already built and awaiting going onto the production line. Two others have had their paperwork sent to the plant for their 2/17 build dates.
HOPING VERY SOON!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hope you'll be able to reverse the bench seat in the crew side. That would make for a great dual use floorpan for me.

EDIT: Looking again at how it latches, it won't be possible

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #38 (Edited)
Has anyone seen pictures of a production crew van yet? Ive been looking online everywhere and can not find one.
You will get to see the FIRST Production built CrewVan soon as the Matt Ford CrewVan is that vehicle. It is in production now with a February 11th build date (on the assembly line NOW) so you will get to see it in full detail on the Transit forum once it arrives at Matt Ford. Tentative ETA is close to March 1st.

www.windowsticker.forddirect.com/windowsticker.pdf?vin=1FTBR1DG2LKA01428

·
Registered
11 Posts
You will get to see the FIRST Production built CrewVan soon as the Matt Ford CrewVan is that vehicle. It is in production now with a February 11th build date (on the assembly line NOW) so you will get to see it in full detail on the Transit forum once it arrives at Matt Ford. Tentative ETA is close to March 1st.

www.windowsticker.forddirect.com/windowsticker.pdf?vin=1FTBR1DG2LKA01428
Looks like my build will be a $60k Crew once high roof and Awd is added.

Does anyone know how much power those upfitter switches can handle each?

21 - 40 of 47 Posts