Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While being in Kansas City to deliver 4 Transits at Matt Ford, I got a call to come by and look at the first built prototype CrewVan. There was limited time to do it so I headed from the dealership and got there just in time to see it. Getting to finally view a REAL CrewVan and see the details on it helped a lot to see what Ford did with the information I had been giving to them for the last 2 years about making this model.

The biggest part of building the CrewVan was Ford making a roof airbag to cover the area where the 2nd row 3 passenger seat is located. This was done by making a roof panel similar to the one in the passenger van going from the front passenger area to just behind the rear sliding door. In this particular model which was a HR 148" WB CrewVan, the panel was huge and looked just like one from a passenger van that just stops at the rear of the sliding door.

Another part that was critical to the CrewVan was the area where the 3 passenger seat mounted to the floor. Ford went with a platform similar to the flooring in the passenger van with a raised flooring from the back of the front passenger area to about a foot past the rear part of the 3 passenger seat with a trim piece that went across the back between the raised flooring and the cargo van metal floor. The floor mounting brackets are located within this raised floor and the seat locks into the brackets just like in the passenger van with the pull handles that can release the seat. The 3 legs from the seat look to be placed in the same areas as in the current passenger van. Beyond the rear trim of the platform, you just have the metal cargo flooring and Ford has not given a option for a vinyl flooring toward the back of the van. No wall covering like the previous Transit models where you could order the Load Area Protection panels and get a wall covering on the cargo van.

The windows in the CrewVan were the Privacy Glass option so it gave a dark look from the outside of the van but a good view looking from within the van. The panel below the window on the driver's side was a flat metal panel with NO trim on it. They made the same look on the right side sliding door so not sure that will be the same in the production version of the CrewVan. It looked like it needed a armrest on the driver's side wall with another one as part of the seat on the right side.

The 3 passenger seat in the 2020 CrewVan is a lot different than in the past with this seat being a 62" seat and has the center & right hand seats using the center style buckles together rather than all of them coming on the right hand side. It has the look similar to the center rear seat on the 15 passenger van where it has both buckles in the center of the seat.

Once I get back to Texas, I will post some of the pictures I took based on the information in this forum thread. Just remember this was the first prototype and Ford may make some changes to it to make it a lot better with more details to follow once we see a actual production CrewVan model.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Does the crew van have a drivers side passenger window? The order guide seems to show that option only with dual sliding doors.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Are you gonna post some pictures or just string us along forever? Come on CrewVanMan! In the time it took to type that long post, you could have uploaded the 2020 Service Manual!
Just Sayin’...

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
After getting the view on the 2020 CrewVan, I had to deliver 2 Transits at Matt Ford, then make a 10 hour trip back to Texas. I will post the pictures sometime today so you can see how the seat is mounted on the platform similar to what is in the passenger van.

·
Registered
130 Posts
and pics of the front diff and transfer case?
Its fascinating that the russos think that the AWD emblem is what we really want to see, or the ecoboost motor that has been in the van for 5 years. Show us the new stuff!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks CVM - finally more info on the interior of the 2020 crew van. Look forward to the pictures. Curious, with the 2nd row seat removed, how will then new seat platform impede the cargo area - what is the platform drop?

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Here are the pictures from the 2020 Ford Transit CrewVan prototype van. The seats are built on a platform similar to the way the raised flooring is on the Transit passenger van. Right behind the back of the seat they use a plastic trim piece to separate the raised floor from the lower metal floor. it is about 2" to 3" in height.

The 3 passenger seat is the 62" version and as you can see, it sticks out into the step well. I had asked Ford to use the 54" seat as it kept the seat from going out into the step well area for making it easier entry into this second row seat as well as having enough room for access to the rear area of the van.

This setup is going to create problems getting into the second row seat with it sticking out into the step well area and then the small area getting into the rear of the van and the raised part of the floor being the first step you take getting into the back, then the drop off you take making the second step towards the rear of the van.
MVC-003S.JPG
MVC-004S.JPG
MVC-017S.JPG

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Part of the changes we hope to make with the Matt Ford CrewVan Edition is to change this seat from the 62" seat to a 54" seat. That would give you the better access you need to get into the second row seat and more room when going towards the back of the van. Then with working with Penda we are hoping to have a raised floor for the rest of the CrewVan so ALL of the floor is at the same level. Ford is not even offering a vinyl flooring for the metal portion of the CrewVan so this may be another added part that Matt Ford will be doing to at least get some covering for the metal floor.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Here are the pictures of the roof panels that has the air bags. This was the requirement that Ford said would have to be done for them to add the second row seating to make the CrewVan model back in 2017 when I was working with them to make it happen. With the design of this panel, the factory CrewVan model became a reality!
MVC-018S.JPG
MVC-019S.JPG
MVC-020S.JPG

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Some of the things I will be doing at the 2019 SEMA Show will be finding suppliers who can benefit any changes that can be made to make the CrewVan a better functioning vehicle. I have already contacted Penda for working on a raised flooring as well as the sidewall panels that are another thing that Ford is not doing for the CrewVan model.

Since the scheduling for the Matt Ford CrewVan was moved from October 25th to December 4th because of the added 2019 model Transits for Amazon, it may be a while longer to get these NEW items made and ready for the initial build for the Matt Ford CrewVan Edition. The added leather seating is already getting started so this will be another addition as part of the Matt Ford CrewVan offerings.

·
Registered
130 Posts
It even has crossover blobettes, like mickeys ears.
On the 2019 and earlier passenger vans the floor is 1 1/4" above the raised ribs.

I don't see huge advantages to the crew van from a camper conversion standpoint.

·
Registered
50 Posts
It looks like wheel well liners and some sort of carpeted liner below the window line? Is that the stock configuration?

i see the advantage of the crew van if you are going to carry three or more passengers, airbags are a good safety feature for the passengers.

I’ve sat in the 54” seat with three and it was tight, for 5 passengers the 62” will be better for any extended trip.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the pictures.

** I’m also interested in the material below the window line that extends to the rear. Is this standard with the crew? If not, what option is this? What is the material?

** Same with the interior wheel well liners and D-rings above. Is this standard?

** Looks like the sliding door is trimmed - are the rear doors trimmed as well?

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Understand this is a prototype that was built to get the basic setup in place and may not be a final production vehicle. We will just have to wait to see what shows up as our first production CrewVan has been moved back 2 times now with the initial build date being October 28th, then changed to December 2nd, and NOW WEEK of December 23rd.

At least for the 2020 Transits ordered by Matt Ford, it looks like we will not see one until January 2020. Not sure what these final delays are about as the earlier ones were affected by the additional 2019 Transits built for Amazon. It may have to do with the pending UAW auto workers contract decisions now in the hands of Ford.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Interesting pics of the crew van, even if the production model might be slightly different. I know some of the Sprinter guys have surgically re-assigned their crew van 3-seater into a 2-seater. Might be a viable option here to free up some space.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Making the CrewVan with a 36" 2 passenger seat is one of the options that will be part of the Matt Ford CrewVan Edition. We are looking at making a slight change in the floor platform on the CrewVan so that the seat will work along with giving more space to get into the seat as well as a larger access opening to get into the rear area of the van.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thanks for posting!

This is really disappointing as far as the rear seat width and the non contiguous flooring. The rear seat is too wide for any camper setup. This makes me sad enough to re-consider Sprinter. Argh!

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Here is the forum thread that shows the raised flooring for the CrewVan. It is the same type of flooring as the passenger van just shorter to accommodate the second row seating only and not the full length required for the passenger van.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts