Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 2018 Ford Transit 150 XLT which had extended towing/cargo mirrors installed from factory. The overall width of the van at the mirrors was too wide to fit into my garage, so I had a local dealer replace these mirrors with the short-arm power folding heated mirrors with turn signals. They also replaced the mirror control switch with the switch having the folding option. The power adjustment of the mirror glass and the turn signals are both working now, but the folding option and the heat option are not working. The dealer attempted to reprogram the Body Control Module (BCM) to enable the folding option, but said the option remained grayed out. They compared my VIN to the VIN of a Transit that has power folding mirrors from factory and concluded my model has the identical wiring harnesses and BCM, so it is not a hardware issue. The dealer then reached out to Ford hotline tech support and their reply came back that power folding mirrors must be added from factory and cannot be added later. I am reaching out to see if anyone successfully upgraded to power folding mirrors as I have attempted to do, and if you were successful, what steps am I missing? It seems there must be a background programming issue that could be changed to enable this feature. Any input will be much appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank-you for this input, asdrew. I notice you highlighted 04 Long arm power/heated mirrors, while my mirrors are 02 Short arm power/heated mirrors (Folding). Curious whether the option 02 With retractable mirrors also appears under the Short arm mirror style? Also, I am not a technician, thus not familiar with the various programming modes, but could my dealer have attempted to reprogram the BCM in a mode other than Engineering mode? I assume my dealer will understand what you mean by ForScan - Is it a particular type of programming tool, or mode? Last question, is it your understanding that the options you are accessing should be available to the programmer regardless of whether or not my VIN was provisioned with these mirror options from factory? Thanks for taking time to reply.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One additional question regarding the heated mirror option: From your following window, if the "with retractable mirrors" option is selected, will "01 Dual Powered HTD Signal Mirrors be de-selected? In other words, I want to be sure i don't select a Folding functionality, only to lose the heat functionailty? Thanks again.

·
Super Moderator
2,325 Posts
The options highlighted in blue are the ones my 2018 came equipped/programmed with.
Retractable mirror option should be available if short mirrors are selected and not cancel out heat which is a separate parameter.
ForScan is a free software programming tool for Ford vehicles and allows owners to make such settings without having to rely on a dealer who wants to charge $$$ to change settings and often doesn't try too hard to help you. Click here for their website.

Yes, contrary to what the dealer told you the option to program features is independent of what was installed at the factory, yet obviously dependent on the hardware and wiring being present.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update: Last evening I connected using ForScan. The windows/options in my BCM did not exactly match the screen shots above, but there was an entry for Retractable Mirrors. I changed the subsetting from Not Retractable to Retractable, wrote the changes to the BCM module, and my mirrors now fold as desired. The heat function in the mirrors is also activated by pressing the rear window defrost switch. Thanks for your help, asdrew!

·
Super Moderator
2,325 Posts
Yay! Persistence pays, maybe you can teach the dealer about that now :cool:

I have two Transits, one a 2015 and the other 2018. In ForScan the BCM options are sometimes slightly different between them , and the screenshots are from a combination of the two vehicles.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts