Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a video production studio and we're looking to get a Mercedes Sprinter Crew equivalent in a Ford Transit (ie 5 seats, with rest of space for cargo). The best solution I've come up with in order to still comply with insurance is to get a Transit Passenger Medium Roof, then take out all seats except 2nd row.

Does anyone know if it's possible to get 1. a 2nd row installed for a reasonable price 2. for the install to be good with commercial insurance company.

Guessing it needs to get certified for crash tests or something like that.

Might end up being a lot cheaper than paying for passenger van.

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,062 Posts
Licensed upfitter, like a Mobility Van company, might be legal. If you want LEGAL, it's MUCH more cost effective to just get a passenger van and remove the rear seats you don't want.

Also, doesn't the Transit come in a Crew model now?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I think the problem with the crew van is that the only 2nd row seating option is three across “triple wide seat” per the order guide. I suppose you would have to order crew and find a “triple narrow seat” to refit in order to pass from driver to cargo area. And does Crew Van automatically come with bulkhead or can it be deleted?

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Could you use a HR Transit? I have found a T-350 HR Transit wagon that has the Builders Prep package which has the rear seats and flooring removed. You could add a 2 or 3 passenger seat to this van as it has the floor openings to mount the floor mounting brackets for the factory seats. It has the 3.7L engine with a 4.10 Limited Slip rear axle.

Here is the link to the window sticker so you can see all of the equipment.
www.windowsticker.forddirect.com/windowsticker.pdf?vin=1FDZX2XM2KKB81984

To add a Transit seat, you would just need to get the factory floor brackets and the Transit seat. The threaded holes are already in the metal floor as this is basically a passenger van with the flooring & seats deleted but all of the floor attachments there. You could place the seat right behind the front passenger area like a second row seat or if you wanted it further back, you could locate it in the third row position for more room between the seats.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts