Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello --

As I install the floor, I am trying to NOT preclude the eventual installation of a floor air vent. But as this van will be a multi-stage project and we have not yet finalized our layout, I cannot install a floor vent now.

So, design-wise, after scouring this forum I see that Dave Orton put his vent just in front of the rear wheel well ... I think. He made a lid that can be opened/closed from the bed.

Others have put an air vent inside the wall just aft of the driver's B-pillar, using an existing opening and cutting a hole in the van floor inside the wall? Not sure how this is opened/closed. And I am toying with using that cavity for electrical parts, following foxharp.

Has anyone put the air vent in the vertical face of the side door step well? I believe that somewhere on the net I saw a picture of that with a household louvered vent face. or not.

Other possible locations? At this point my thinking is more toward cooling the van (Maxxair fan is in the rear over the east-west bunk) rather than providing air circulation for the not-yet-decided fridge. A draft across the bunk would be nice...

Thanks,
Bob

·
Registered
247 Posts

·
Registered
2,219 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
I had to wait to see how my build came out before I put a floor vent in. I have propane and a gray water tank under and had to have them in place first. Plus I had to wait until I had some of my cabinets in as well. My vent ended up fitting a little behind the sliding door at the bottom of a cabinet. I drilled a 4'' hole with a hole saw and put a piece of 4'' black pipe in. Fit perfectly. The vent comes into the cabinet against a false cover that is attached with magnets. The cover then has a plastic vent over it so it gives it a nice look. To close the vent I pull off the false front and put the clean out cap into the pipe. Super easy to open and close when needed.

My build is close to completion and once I'm done I'll have time to document more of what I have done and get some pictures up.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
i have a front mounted roof vent so i used the d pillars, (rear door pillars) with some modification, for my floor vents to get the best airflow, it has been about a year now and so far they have worked great!
this is the thread that gave me the d pillar idea:

http://www.fordtransitusaforum.com/camper-vans-conversions/23561-cabin-air-outlet-low-vent-while-camped.html

there are more threads on using the d pillars, just search "d pillar floor vent"
Some have been worried about exhaust fumes coming in from D-pillar venting. Have you noticed this at all while driving?

Did you make it so that it can easily be closed?

For use with an idea I have for a "mud room" at the rear of the van having the fan forward and the vents at the rear would help dry that space quickly.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Some have been worried about exhaust fumes coming in from D-pillar venting. Have you noticed this at all while driving?

Did you make it so that it can easily be closed?

For use with an idea I have for a "mud room" at the rear of the van having the fan forward and the vents at the rear would help dry that space quickly.
i have not smelled any fumes nor have i had any strange headaches, i have a gas detection system and it has never went off while driving, but i am not sure if it senses carbon monoxide since it was purchased for propane detection. (i have direct vent heating.)

i close the holes when the weather turns cold with the outside and inside caps that came with the transit, the inside caps, or plugs, cover 3x5 inch holes in the door frame about a foot above the rear floor. (i also have internal ducting in the d pillars between the inside and outside holes)

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ranxerox:

If I understand correctly you did not have to cut any holes, but simply removed plastic plug the van and the plug in the door pillar and ran ductwork?

What type of ducting did you use, how was it secured? And did yo have to move any wiring to run the duct?

Thanks, Bob

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Another thing about using the D-pillar ducts I read about was the potential to carry in dust from the rear wheels if traveling on dirt roads.

Perhaps putting in a foam filter would be a way to mitigate any problem along these lines. I've seen replacement filters for lawn mowers that could be trimmed to fit, then could be removed periodically and cleaned.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
ductwork, at least in a transit forum traditional sense, is a figure of speech. i wanted maximum airflow so instead of using drier vent hose, i fabricated one out of left over foam insulation board cut to fit the parts of the D pillar i wanted to block off to carry the air where i wanted it, and great stuff foam in a can, to help glue the pieces in place and seal any leaks. it was a pain in the butt, but it works.

(a 5 inch square hole will flow more air then a 5 inch round hole, in theory)

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, ranxerox.

Still, the idea of the fresh air vent in the D-pillar makes me a bit....queasy.

Today I crawled beneath the van and had a good look at the vertical north-south wall of the slider door stepwell. It would be easy to cut a good size opening, and easy access to weld or somehow attach a critter-screen to the van underside. A bit of vent grill would make an attractive opening, and a solid cover could be attached with magnets.

Granted, a vent in the floor might be more efficient, but what would be WRONG with this approach?

If I need to add ventilation in a year or two for a 12V fridge/cooler, then I could revisit the floor vent issue.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
yeah with a rear mounted roof vent it would be kind of pointless to use the D pillar floor vents, all the air would flow straight up and out the roof vent, bypassing the bed.
you asked about other possible locations, so it was just another idea that did not require holes to be cut.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry ranxerox -- didn't mean to diss your approach. It doesn't suit my application (but glad that you made me think about it).. But definitelylike that it doesn't require holes to be cut.

Gathering a variety of ideas here might be useful for future users .... if only the search function on this forum worked well ....

·
Registered
246 Posts
How about behind the license plate? Hidden for stealth if part of the plan. One thought was a threaded marine-lid part with dual lids; one with a screen affixed for air flow and the other used to block air totally should air flow be undesired.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Thanks, ranxerox.

Still, the idea of the fresh air vent in the D-pillar makes me a bit....queasy.

Today I crawled beneath the van and had a good look at the vertical north-south wall of the slider door stepwell. It would be easy to cut a good size opening, and easy access to weld or somehow attach a critter-screen to the van underside. A bit of vent grill would make an attractive opening, and a solid cover could be attached with magnets.

Granted, a vent in the floor might be more efficient, but what would be WRONG with this approach?

If I need to add ventilation in a year or two for a 12V fridge/cooler, then I could revisit the floor vent issue.

Let us know if it works out with the slider footwell. With my layout that would be the best location. Curious to hear how it goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
Has anyone put the air vent in the vertical face of the side door step well? I believe that somewhere on the net I saw a picture of that with a household louvered vent face. or not.
Second the request for feedback on that location if that's how you end up doing it. Seems like a good idea.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hello --

Thanks,
Bob
I think I saw the door step vent on the Sprinter forum.... They used a magnetic 'tape' to cover it when too cold.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Here's a vent that I installed in the vertical wall of the sliding door step well. Since this was originally posted, the vent has been finished and tested. It works, although there is a noticeable difference in airflow at the roof fan if a window is opened due to the much larger area of an opened window.

Door step air vent

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
The photos are missing from the post for this in my build thread after the "upgrade" of the forum and this seemed a good thread to put them in. I've linked to it as it has some additional detail.

For this install a hole was made in the floor behind the B-pillar and some parts from a woodworker vacuum system were used.

Here's the hole. I notched it where the lines are drawn and folded the metal down, same was done on the other sides, making a smooth transition that wouldn't cut the 4" duct.

Here's a shot of the intake, and another showing the assembly with the hardware cloth and AC filter material. (more detail on everything in the build thread, except photos).

After running 4" aluminum flex duct down through the hole and out the other hole already underneath the van I clamped the assembly to the duct and hung it like this

Inside I used a Blast Gate at the other end of the duct to have a way to close the vent when needed. There will be a remote control cable (Auto/Mower choke cable) installed to open/close it easily.

On this build the air is delivered to the bottom of the cabinet where the fridge and the electronics are installed and convection will carry the hot air up a channel at the back to the ceiling where it can find its way to the MaxxFan and leave without a fuss.

Total materials were less that $25 on Amazon. Variations on this could be easily adapted to other locations. Thanks to Orton and Van Williams for their inspiration for this.

Attachments

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Bumping this again as finally —after a 6 month hiatus on van work — I am going to start up again.

Thanks to all for the updates and photos. Anyone else have vent projects to share? Paul (foxharp) — did you cut a vent?

Thanks, Bob

1 - 20 of 23 Posts