Ford Transit USA Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
If the ability to swivel the drivers seat around without opening the door is a high priority, I wonder if you should consider the promaster platform instead of the transit.

Every van brand has advantages and limitations. The promaster is:
  • Just slightly wider
  • Slightly more vertical interior walls
  • Lower to the ground ( I have installed an electrical systems in some and it is virtually a match to my 2000 dodge mini van floor)
  • Slightly taller side entry door (not as good as sprinter, but much better than the Transit
I wonder if this just slightly wider aspect would make the swivel seat work better for you? (Don't know - just speculating)

I am brand agnostic - each type has advantages and limitations.

·
Registered
128 Posts
If the ability to swivel the drivers seat around without opening the door is a high priority, I wonder if you should consider the promaster platform instead of the transit.

Every van brand has advantages and limitations. The promaster is:
  • Just slightly wider
  • Slightly more vertical interior walls
  • Lower to the ground ( I have installed an electrical systems in some and it is virtually a match to my 2000 dodge mini van floor)
  • Slightly taller side entry door (not as good as sprinter, but much better than the Transit
I wonder if this just slightly wider aspect would make the swivel seat work better for you? (Don't know - just speculating)

I am brand agnostic - each type has advantages and limitations.
I think you are replying to a different discussion.
maybe;
Ford Transit Cargo Versus Ram Promaster Cargo Which One Should I Purchase

·
Registered
209 Posts
I think you are replying to a different discussion.
maybe;
Ford Transit Cargo Versus Ram Promaster Cargo Which One Should I Purchase
Normally you would be right, and perhaps maybe you are in fact correct, IDK.

If you look at the postings by USMC Vet in this thread he is needing a van with a drivers side swivel seat that doesn't require opening the drivers door. He is having a hard time getting this in a Transit.

My post was a suggestion that he might have better luck obtaining this particular feature in a promaster.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
If you look at the postings by USMC Vet in this thread he is needing a van with a drivers side swivel seat that doesn't require opening the drivers door.
My post was a suggestion that he might have better luck obtaining this particular feature in a promaster.
harryn,

Thought your reply was a general one to the Thread, so I didn't respond.
The Transit has so many more advantages over the ProMaster, including a dealership that can work on it. The Dodge/Chrysler/Ram dealer is less than a mile, but isn't authorized.

Had hopes after talking with Ford that they could put the swivels in the wagons also and that would make it a lot easier ( no need for after market or relocating the batteries ). But their latest testing (reported above) means that isn't likely at this time.
I have after market in mine, but it takes MANY MONTHS for all the wiring and batteries to be relocated so it can be installed. (meanwhile you're without transportation ) Thankfully the VA pays for mine but a greater number in the Disabled community have to buy their own.
That's why I have been lobbying Ford to make it an OEM option for the wagon, not just the van like it is now.

Semper Fi

·
Registered
209 Posts
harryn,

Thought your reply was a general one to the Thread, so I didn't respond.
The Transit has so many more advantages over the ProMaster, including a dealership that can work on it. The Dodge/Chrysler/Ram dealer is less than a mile, but isn't authorized.

Had hopes after talking with Ford that they could put the swivels in the wagons also and that would make it a lot easier ( no need for after market or relocating the batteries ). But their latest testing (reported above) means that isn't likely at this time.
I have after market in mine, but it takes MANY MONTHS for all the wiring and batteries to be relocated so it can be installed. (meanwhile you're without transportation ) Thankfully the VA pays for mine but a greater number in the Disabled community have to buy their own.
That's why I have been lobbying Ford to make it an OEM option for the wagon, not just the van like it is now.

Semper Fi
Thank you for the explanation. I had completely missed what you are trying to do and your post helps a LOT.

It is great that you are working with Ford and that is a really good path for you to work on.

In the meantime, if it is at all helpful, I am pretty experienced at building up standardized "drop in kits" for upgrading van electrical systems. I have some pretty significant experience in this area for auxiliary power systems / solar, etc. I would be very interested in helping to develop a quick install kit to help cut down the required turn around time.

The turn time on something like this should be weeks, not months.

GotDiesel? - my apologies - you are correct that I didn't understand the concept of this thread. Nonetheless, I am going to try to help out.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
harryn,

I have broached the topic with Ford of having a "Mobility Package" like some of the other equipment packages offered. And they have been receptive and slowly making some changes but to include a number of things into one package would be terrific. GM use to have one that was very helpful, but since they declined to make high roof vans and the companies that use to cut van roofs off and add higher roofs have pretty much disappeared, it's easier to buy from a company that offers the high roofs.

My concept of a Mobility Package that I have been pushing would include :
(1) Power OEM 180 swivel seats that keep OEM batteries & rear heater in place and wheel chair users could transfer into.
(2) either batteries relocated to under passenger "C" pillar (using Hein's battery holders) or a wiring loom in place from alternator to under "C" pillar and from there to under driver's seat. So that the up fitter could just disconnect the OEM connections and connect this alternative. (if OEM batteries under seat had to be moved for after market transfer seats if (1) wasn't available )
(3) Heavy duty up fitter switches mounted behind passenger "C" pillar, so that needed equipment would have a connection near the area needed and could be connected to additional house battery or OEM , either under "C" pillar area or in rear of Transit. ( so wiring wouldn't have to be run all over the place)
(4) Smooth floor between seats from center console to behind front seats ( so shoes and feet wouldn't get caught and hung up for those with no feeling or movement of feet and legs.
(5) OEM power sliding door ( which is now available )
(6) Push button parking brake ( which will be late availability 2021 )

Installing needed mobility equipment, lifts, steel floor, hand controls and other needed major equipment would then be a lot easier and quicker if power for them was readily available where it was needed instead of having to rewire everything.

This type of package would even be good for those wanting to make their vans / wagons into campers, dog haulers or even mini mobile restaurant seating areas ( asdrew :LOL: ) instead of having to add those things later and losing the vehicle for the time it takes to make all those mods. Especially for disability mods where they can't be done piecemeal .

Semper Fi

·
Registered
209 Posts
harryn,

I have broached the topic with Ford of having a "Mobility Package" like some of the other equipment packages offered. And they have been receptive and slowly making some changes but to include a number of things into one package would be terrific. GM use to have one that was very helpful, but since they declined to make high roof vans and the companies that use to cut van roofs off and add higher roofs have pretty much disappeared, it's easier to buy from a company that offers the high roofs.

My concept of a Mobility Package that I have been pushing would include :
(1) Power OEM 180 swivel seats that keep OEM batteries & rear heater in place and wheel chair users could transfer into.
(2) either batteries relocated to under passenger "C" pillar (using Hein's battery holders) or a wiring loom in place from alternator to under "C" pillar and from there to under driver's seat. So that the up fitter could just disconnect the OEM connections and connect this alternative. (if OEM batteries under seat had to be moved for after market transfer seats if (1) wasn't available )
(3) Heavy duty up fitter switches mounted behind passenger "C" pillar, so that needed equipment would have a connection near the area needed and could be connected to additional house battery or OEM , either under "C" pillar area or in rear of Transit. ( so wiring wouldn't have to be run all over the place)
(4) Smooth floor between seats from center console to behind front seats ( so shoes and feet wouldn't get caught and hung up for those with no feeling or movement of feet and legs.
(5) OEM power sliding door ( which is now available )
(6) Push button parking brake ( which will be late availability 2021 )

Installing needed mobility equipment, lifts, steel floor, hand controls and other needed major equipment would then be a lot easier and quicker if power for them was readily available where it was needed instead of having to rewire everything.

This type of package would even be good for those wanting to make their vans / wagons into campers, dog haulers or even mini mobile restaurant seating areas ( asdrew :LOL: ) instead of having to add those things later and losing the vehicle for the time it takes to make all those mods. Especially for disability mods where they can't be done piecemeal .

Semper Fi
Thank you for the information.

I have some ideas based on what you have written. Possibly even easier than you might think, at least for some of the work.

I sent a PM to you with my email and phone number so we can work on this. VERY interested in helping.

Harry

21 - 28 of 28 Posts