Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Had a call from Ford today, they are working from home now due to the COVID-19 protocols. So it is something to consider if you have a Transit waiting to be built. So far the factory is still in production, but that a shutdown could (only speculation at this time ) possibly happen depending on the spread of the disease.

A 2021 change they told me previously and now OK to share. The gear shift will be moved 6 - 8" to the right on the 2021 models. ( making it easier for legs to clear when swiveling or getting up to move to back area )
Electric Brakes will be a late availability option on Transits under 10,000 pounds. (y) Over that limit will keep the current EB options.

Hopes for a power swivel seat are dim and for a manual swivel has a snag. They observed some testing for the current swivel seats in a passenger wagon since our last conversation. The seats in use ( from EU Transits ) require the drivers door to be opened in order for it to swivel past the 90 degree point. o_O(n) So consider that, f it becomes a 2021 option in wagons. Haven't heard any complaints about that from those already having the option in cargo vans, here on the forum.

Also shared the concern about the wiring hangups when swiveling and the zip tie fix. They will be getting that info to the proper department for evaluation.

I will keep you posted on any updates they share with me.

Semper Fi

EDIT: All Electric Transits on the board for late availability 2022.

·
Registered
17 Posts
It seems like moving the gear shift to the right would put it in the center of the consul. Will it still be a shifter or will they switch to a dial knob or buttons? Did they talk about the power doors at all? I am currently waiting for a build week and vin for my order from early February. Will there be more changes to the 2021 model? Do you know if they will announce any new rebates for the 2020?

I like the idea of the electric brake because my understanding is that enables full adaptive cruise control. I believe on the 2020 model that it cannot come to a complete stop and then start when traffic starts moving because it does not have an electric brake?? I could be wrong.

I am ready for my van now, and I do not particularly want to wait any longer than I have to. Thankfully I do not need it, but this process is a taking long time.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Will it still be a shifter or will they switch to a dial knob or buttons?
JAGfamily,

They discribed it as a "shifter" , made no mention of it being changed to something else. Closer to the radio. In the original conversation months ago, they advised that it was in response to the delivery companies needs. At the time I mentioned the possibility of more leg room, but didn't know how they were going to accomplish it.
As to your other questions, they only shared what I mentioned above, with the exception of the all electric Transits (possibly late availability 2022 .

Semper Fi

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can someone enlighten me by what they mean by "electric brakes"?
GapRunr,

There is possibly a better more technical description of them, I just call them that. It is a dash mounted push button "electric" emergency brake. No EB on the floor between the seats. It's what I have in mine.

Semper Fi

·
Registered
23 Posts
While not a Transit , my wife’s 2018 Jeep Renegade has electric “ parking brake” it really locks down hard. If we are talking about the same thing . Just a simple toggle type button to move “ on or off”. Interesting enough, if you try exit the vehicle while in gear or neutral, the electric parking brake automatically applies as soon as you open the door. I assume most all future new vehicles will have this feature.

·
Super Moderator
1,659 Posts
I understand the concept of an electric parking brake. I have one on my car. I assumed this was something very different after reading this:

I like the idea of the electric brake because my understanding is that enables full adaptive cruise control.

There is no correlation between an electric parking brake and any brakes used for adaptive cruise control. That's what threw me off. I do hope they go with the electric parking brake as well. It would free up valuable floor real estate.

·
Registered
9 Posts
It seems like moving the gear shift to the right would put it in the center of the consul. Will it still be a shifter or will they switch to a dial knob or buttons? Did they talk about the power doors at all? I am currently waiting for a build week and vin for my order from early February. Will there be more changes to the 2021 model? Do you know if they will announce any new rebates for the 2020?

I like the idea of the electric brake because my understanding is that enables full adaptive cruise control. I believe on the 2020 model that it cannot come to a complete stop and then start when traffic starts moving because it does not have an electric brake?? I could be wrong.

I am ready for my van now, and I do not particularly want to wait any longer than I have to. Thankfully I do not need it, but this process is a taking long time.
You may be waiting a while for your van. I've had one with the power door on order since late October and was told by Ford that they will not commit I'll receive it by July. The UAW is calling on the Big 3 to shut down operations for at least 2 weeks due to Covid 19. I'm looking at alternatives.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I understand the concept of an electric parking brake. I have one on my car. I assumed this was something very different after reading this:

There is no correlation between an electric parking brake and any brakes used for adaptive cruise control. That's what threw me off. I do hope they go with the electric parking brake as well. It would free up valuable floor real estate.
The EB is needed (at least in a Ford) as a hold when traffic is stopped. It will still do adaptive cruise but will not go again after a full stop with a manual parking brake. I think you have to step on the throttle or push the resume or something. Have no idea why it is like this.
Watched a video on it one time.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
If Ford is wanting to make a change in the transmission selector, then they should go to the turn dial one that is already on most Ford vehicles. They could place in in the same place as the current one and still make a change in the instrument cluster to give the driver more legroom. That may be hard since Ford is following their changes based on the European model and they are not making the most updated changes that other Ford products built in North America are doing with other models.

Some things that they should be looking at for the 2021 model would be more exterior color choices that would follow what the Ford F-150 has for color selections. Then give us some wheel selections for the AWD model since it has the odd 6 X 180mm bolt pattern that is not anything common to other Ford vehicles or anything in the industry. The largest request for the 2020 model is HID Headlamps for the cargo vans and this should have been a non-issue for the Transit. Offering it on the passenger van and CrewVan models and leaving it off the most sold model is really stupid on their part. Making it with brighter headlamps should lead them to making the LED rear tail lamps as a option for the 2021 model.

USMC Vet....you may have better communication with the Ford Brand Group than I do with all of the problems I am taking to them on the current model with mostly production problems. They may listen to you now so just keep sending them information on what the Transit forum members are relating to you and we may see most of those changes in the 20201 model.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks for the info guys. These are trying times, and I expect the van to be delayed (not a big deal in the grand scheme). We can keep rocking our minivan for the time being. I just pray we get through this as quickly and safely as possible.

·
Super Moderator
1,659 Posts
The EB is needed (at least in a Ford) as a hold when traffic is stopped.
I would be really surprised if it uses the parking brake for this. They already have the ability to electronically control the hydraulic brakes. It would make more sense to do that. My 2018 has Hill Start Assist. The brakes are held on electronically for a few seconds after I release the pedal to prevent backing up on a hill. It would make much more sense to control all 4 wheels hydraulically than to use 2 wheels with a cable.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Is the shifter a mechanical linkage, or is shifting done electrically? Seems like if it is electric shift, it could be put anywhere they want to run a wire.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Hopes for a power swivel seat are dim and for a manual swivel has a snag. They observed some testing for the current swivel seats in a passenger wagon since our last conversation. The seats in use ( from EU Transits ) require the drivers door to be opened in order for it to swivel past the 90 degree point. o_O(n) So consider that, f it becomes a 2021 option in wagons. Haven't heard any complaints about that from those already having the option in cargo vans, here on the forum.
I have seen some after market van swivel seats ( I think on spritners) that required the drivers door to be open to do the swivel. Honestly I don't see that as being such a big issue.

In the uses that I have in mind, it is really to face the front seats and second row seats toward each other for eating / recreational uses. (maybe a nap) Every conversion van arrangement has compromises but the ability to buy the driver and passenger seats as swivels IMHO really out weighs that minor inconvenience.

Does your intended use make it difficult to open the door to swivel?

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Every conversion van arrangement has compromises but the ability to buy the driver and passenger seats as swivels IMHO really out weighs that minor inconvenience.

Does your intended use make it difficult to open the door to swivel?
harryn,

Yes. Impossible to open or close door if not facing all the way forward.
Was hoping Ford could provide an OEM solution not needing an after market transfer seat base requiring the batterie to be relocated.

Semper Fi

·
Registered
209 Posts
harryn,

Yes. Impossible to open or close door if not facing all the way forward.
Was hoping Ford could provide an OEM solution not needing an after market transfer seat base requiring the batterie to be relocated.

Semper Fi

I guess I had envisioned that a person could just:
  • get out of the van using the door
  • swivel the seat around while the door was open
  • close the door
  • re-enter the van using the side door entrance
I had not considered the disability aspect. I was only thinking in terms of the RV / conversion van aspect. Is that the reason for it being so important?

·
Registered
209 Posts

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I had not considered the disability aspect. I was only thinking in terms of the RV / conversion van aspect. Is that the reason for it being so important?
Yes

Semper Fi

·
Registered
17 Posts
I would be really surprised if it uses the parking brake for this. They already have the ability to electronically control the hydraulic brakes. It would make more sense to do that. My 2018 has Hill Start Assist. The brakes are held on electronically for a few seconds after I release the pedal to prevent backing up on a hill. It would make much more sense to control all 4 wheels hydraulically than to use 2 wheels with a cable.
You got it. The ESP unit can control brake pressure to all 4 corners to a certain extend. I'm pretty sure that's how AEB and hill hold is done on most vehicles.
ESP pumps are being beefed up for the additional use.
Most OEMs are also transitioning to electronic brake boosters. Especially for EVs because there's naturally no vacuum.
The model s was the first production model to use Bosch iboost...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts