Ford Transit USA Forum banner

Portable Air Conditioner?

12K views 23 replies 12 participants last post by  Grizz1 
#1 ·
I want A/C when we go to campgronds but I really don't want a roof A/C. The van just looks like a delivery van now and for resale a person might want a ladder rack. I was thinking a portable unit could work and be vented out the floor in a 3 or 4 inch hole. The hole could easily be patched if ever needed. I know they run of 110 volts so I'd have to plug in to use it. Thoughts?

#2 ·
There are a few stealthy options I can think about, with varying levels of efficiency, ease of installation and cost.
For 110 volt you could also go with a window AC. It is quite difficult to install it stealthy as you would need to reclaim the refrigerant, separate the condenser and evaporator, braze the lines and recharge. Some people have done it, I believe Midwestdrifter on the Sprinter forum has a good thread about it.
If you want to go with a portable AC, you should get one with dual hoses. My understanding is that they perform better than the single-hose version. Compared to all other options listed here, I believe they are the most power-hungry and would take the most space inside the van. But they are also an Amazon item with the easiest installation process.

There are interesting 12/24V options. Someone on the Sprinter forum and myself installed a Chinese AC - see Air conditioner 12vdc/24vdc install. It was pretty cheap, and the installation is relatively easy. I have not had a chance to test it in hot conditions but the other person sounds satisfied so far. It fits easily under our ancient sprinters - I am not sure if the Ford has enough ground clearance. If it doesn't then unfortunately this option is irrelevant.

A company called CruiseNComfort also offers a 12/24V AC. I believe their product does fit well under the Transit. It is the most expensive option I am aware of, but I believe relatively easy to install, and from videos I've watched it seems like a well-reviewed product. I believe the support you get from them is good but that is not from my own experience (yet... I am considering one for my build).

Would be curious to hear from others about their stealth AC solutions experience!

#3 · (Edited)
I'm aiming to mount a 240V 42 SEER Carrier on the rear driver's side door, and run it off a 20kWh lithium bank. I plan to cover it up in slate grey metal and make it look industrial. Maybe slap on a fake "Icetown Cold Freight" logo.

I have one of those portable heat pumps too, and early on in the build I did use it with the rear door cracked and the exhaust just loosely angling out the door. I briefly thought about using the vent holes at the base of the D pillar in the bottom of the sidewall cavity. I may exhaust a regular inline vent fan there someday for a cooking hood. Might be worth looking into.

Cheers.

#4 ·
I'm aiming to mount a 250V 42 SEER Carrier on the rear driver's side door, and run it off a 20kWh lithium bank. I plan to cover it up in slate grey metal and make it look industrial. Maybe slap on a fake "Icetown Cold Freight" logo.

I have one of those portable heat pumps too, and early on in the build I did use it with the rear door cracked and the exhaust just loosely angling out the door. I briefly thought about using the vent holes at the base of the D pillar in the bottom of the sidewall cavity. I may exhaust a regular inline vent fan there someday for a cooking hood. Might be worth looking into.

Cheers.
Very interesting. I went through a mini-split experiment in my Sprinter, but unfortunately mine ending failing when the flare on one of the flexible refrigerant lines I used started leaking. Are you going to use flexible lines or are you going to give up the ability to open the rear door? Do you have any concerns about having so much weight added to the door?

#21 ·
A number of people here in the past have gone the Portable Air Conditioner route, There are several good forum threads about it.
None of them cut holes in the floor to do it.
Get a Two Hose one, They are more efficient.

View attachment 147288
Good afternoon, I recently purchased a Zero Breeze Portable A/C Unit for my 2020 Ford Transit 150 LR SWB Cargo Van. I noticed your upload for a window duct venting module (as there are two exhaust ducts) Would you be so kind as to lead me in some direction where I can locate this window module? I would be eternally grateful for any information you can provide! Thank you so very much!

#6 ·
Has anyone tried the Zero Breeze Mark 2 in a van? I have done a lot of google searches and found very little info in a campervan. I know it is expensive but I wonder how efficient and effective it would be with the battery option.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

#10 ·
I've looked at that video awhile ago, I really wish I was able to mount the minisplit without the flexible lines. In my case, after realizing all the complications involved in the flexible lineset solution I was more than happy to give up opening the driver-side door but that was impossible due to a few factors: The condenser unit was just a bit too wide, so it would either block some of the rear lights or a few inches of the passenger door, preventing it from being openable. It would also cover the license plate, so I would've had to relocate it and its lights somewhere else. The biggest problem though was that I would prevent me from being able to release the spare tire - in the Sprinter the bolts to loosen the tire holder are under each door... hence all the effort to make the sliding solution.

Note that you would still need to vacuum the lines - that part is required for all types of mini-split installations, but it is easy to do (or you can take it to someone to do it for you).
Your battery plan sounds great, I'm hoping it works out!

Please feel free to reach out with any questions, I'm happy to help where I can.

#11 ·
check this link for more information about portable ACs

#18 ·
I ran a portable a/c in my last build. The hose vented out a hole I cut in the floor. It really worked well. I did put some screening on the hole and built up a nice bracket for it. In the winter I pulled the a/c exhaust hose and installed a vent like seen on the floor in a house with central a/c. It worked really well as a floor vent. With the maxair fan on and the floor vent open I got a nice cross breeze in the van. Just make sure you close the vent while driving. I left it open once and after driving on a dirt road everything in the van had a light coat of dirt!

#19 ·
I hate to add an A/C unit when there is a good system in place already. 350 HD XL bus with the A/C unit in the back corner.
I.ve been wandering about a 12v compressor to tie into the existing system to run the A/C with the engine off.

#20 ·
I hate to add an A/C unit when there is a good system in place already. 350 HD XL bus with the A/C unit in the back corner.
I.ve been wandering about a 12v compressor to tie into the existing system to run the A/C with the engine off.

If you could make it work, it would take a bunch of power to use it.

#23 ·
I have looked into the portable AC idea extensively and resigned myself to the fact that I should just do it once and be done with it. Gonna do a rooftop dometic or equivalent.
The portable AC just occupies so much real estate. You have the footprint of the unit, then the 6" hose has to come off the back which means you need to mount the unit sideways or have it sticking off the wall to accommodate said hose.
Different strokes......

#24 ·
Just ordered a Dreo portable AC. Has two hoses built into one to make one larger hose that snaps into a slot. I will still have to trim down the window connection to fit my window. Then I will use a stand in between my two front seats to place unit on hopefully. Will update as to AC comfort and placement.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.