and had left van unlocked -

2 tool boxes poof gone --

could have been much worse tho -

June in Austin has not been good for me -

3 yrs ago -- June 12th I got robbed at gun point by 6 men with guns
in the driveway of my house while working on van conversion -

2 of the robbers got caught and one got 25 yrs in prison -
Maybe move to better neighborhood?

On a sociological note: What dynamic fosters such deficient behaviour? It is certainly not an innate attribute of the species.

Policy seems too respectful of entropy.

·
Registered
5,265 Posts
that sucks. Does your insurance cover theft?

As for why all this thievery seems to be more common; I blame materialist culture. A lot of lowbrow types equate "success" with "stuff". Not hard work, not earning the stuff, simply having it. Lowbrows are particularly susceptible to advertising, and we have very aggressive advertising appealing to emotions in order to sell stuff. Lowbrows will then want to amass this stuff in order to gain the higher social status conveyed and promised by the advertising, and it becomes popular culture to believe that having a bunch of jewelry or expensive rims signifies your superior social status; when it was actually just some con man running an add telling you that's the case. And this myopic focus on acquiring "stuff" leads some (or many) to get it by any means, including theft. Of course there's the intermediary action, stealing some stuff they don't actually want to show off, but to sell so they can buy the stuff they want to flaunt. I think that's the case with tools. It's not like these idiots are needing tools because they want to work.

The whole Marie Kondo thing of purging all the stuff you don't actually use or enjoy is causing a rift in the materialist culture. Thrift stores are over-run with donations, lowbrows are becoming hoarders because of all the stuff being given away, prices for used stuff on ebay and craigslist are plummeting because of a glut.

Another reason theft is more common where I live; vast numbers of homeless people roaming the streets, taking anything that's not bolted down and dragging it back to their encampments. Also, local and State laws making theft, burglary and shoplifting such petty crimes that the cops don't even bother anymore. If caught, the thief is sent away with a warning or something. Not much of a deterrent. The jails are already overfilled, the thieves don't have any money or means to pay restitution, so there's nothing TO do.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Ouch. That's an unwelcome setback! :eek:

Happened to me a few years back. Hazard of working on camper in the apartment parking lot where cruising thieves could take note. Homeowner's insurance covered, but put up a stink when I listed all the tools lost from memory. Initially, company drone expressed doubt anyone could remember in such detail, but they paid up when I escalated. Good luck.

·
Registered
954 Posts
I lost my iPod Touch to a guy who was "checking his mailbox". I didn't want to offend him by arming my Viper system as we just had a friendly talk. I was on one of my home alarm jobs going in and out of a front door at an adjoining townhome site. He must have jetted to my front door and grabbed what looked like a gold iPhone, when it was actually an essentially worthless previous generation low gigabyte iPod I used for music in the van. Gave me a good excuse to finally get the 128GB 5th gen that would actually hold my iTunes collection. The jerk-off thought he really had scored there for a second or two. I had picked it up off Craigslist and could not get the cigarette smoke smell off of it. Meanwhile he had access to all my new M28 and M18 tools but figured he didn't have time. I learned a very valuable lesson and am now very anal about always arming my system no matter what the situation.

·
Registered
82 Posts
had 2 tool boxes stolen from van last night

I had gone inside work shop and got side tracked talking to someone
and had left van unlocked -

2 tool boxes poof gone --

could have been much worse tho -

June in Austin has not been good for me -

3 yrs ago -- June 12th I got robbed at gun point by 6 men with guns
in the driveway of my house while working on van conversion -

2 of the robbers got caught and one got 25 yrs in prison -
Oh Man! That suck. It is not the money; It violates your space. Time to move out. You can't live in fear.

·
Registered
5,265 Posts
That sucks, I'm still having a mystery "unlock" issue with the van. I hope I can pinpoint the issue before anything happens :(
I wonder if one of the door sensors thinks a door is open and sends the "unlock" signal to the others? Maybe check the wires and for sticky plunge sensor.

·
Registered
5,265 Posts
If this was the case you would think it would unlock right away when it gets locked?
It's possible there's a timer in the system, like when the doors automatically lock after you've drive a block or two. Troubleshooting method might be to disconnect door sensors one at a time and see if that "fixes" it.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My van used to mystery Lock -
I owned van 10 minutes and got locked out before I could leave the dealer lot -

yesterday I put a On /Off switch on the rear door to shut off the power lock
on rear door -
I spliced a switch into the White/Green wire in rear door -

Much better - never liked that both doors getting unlocked -

Fecking thief did not get the prize he thought -
90% of the tools in boxes were specialty tool and he wont get sht