Ford Transit USA Forum banner

Poll: Would you be interested in a larger fuell tank?

30K views 140 replies 57 participants last post by  njvagabond 
#1 ·
I've been having a conversation with a major aftermarket fuel tank manufacturer about making a bigger tank for our Transits. I volunteered to take an informal poll on the forum to see if there is sufficient demand for a larger tank. I'm not associated with the manufacturer in any way, this is for purely selfish reasons - I really want a larger tank.

The tank would meet all DOT, EPA, and CARB (California) requirements, so it would be 50 state legal. The manufacturer doesn't want to be identified at this early stage, so I can't provide more info.

My best guess is the tank would be around 45 gallons, instead of the 25 gallons we currently are stuck with.

However, the size of the tank affects the cost; a larger capacity tank can be made if it is made to use more of the available space.

So the poll questions are two-fold:

1) Would you pay more for a larger tank?

2) What is the maximum you'd pay for a larger tank?

Not a very scientific approach I know, but this is just to give the manufacturer an idea if there's a demand.

I'll start out with my response first.

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Depends on how much larger the tank would be and how you would coordinate it with the reading on the instrument cluster With the 31 gallon extended fuel tank coming for the 2020 model, you may have a way to add that tank and get the Ford dealer to put the correct sensing unit to show the correct reading for the fuel range display.

Once we get the 2020 CrewVan at Matt Ford, I will get Eddie McQueen to track down all of the parts it would take to convert the earlier Transit vans to the larger tank. There may be something that would be difficult to make the change as the location area is larger from the information I have already received from one of my conversion companies. Probably would take the fuel tank, sending unit, any changed mounting brackets to hold the tank in place, and then would there need to be a change in the electronic sensor for relaying the information on the instrument display for the fuel range reading.

#4 ·
I know I'll sound cheap but if it's more than $500-600 don't sign me up. Even living here in BFE Wyoming I never feel like I really need a bigger tank. If it had been an option at time of purchase for a nominal upcharge one would be interested. When traveling long distances the current tank is not bad, after about 3-4 hr. (80mph speed in WY on interstate, 70mph on two lane roads) driving it feels good to get out and stretch ones legs...might as well fill the tank.
Thinking I just talked my self out of buying an larger tank.

#5 ·
It definitely is dependent on the individual. I spend a lot of time in National Parks. Stations are few and far between, prices are high, and fuel quality can be questionable.

I don't like stress. I recall overhearing a lady who was having a very bad day when the Park personnel told her the only way she could get gas was to call AAA - and there was no cell service. :(

Not a fun position to be in...

Reactions: asdrew
#6 ·
I should add that the manufacturer's replacement tanks for similar vehicles run in the $1000-$1500 range. I only said I would go as high as $2k as I place a very high value on long range.

CrewVanMan: Yes please provide that information if it will work. However, I suspect using Ford parts will still be close to $1k to get 31 gallons, and there's a big difference between that and 45 gallons, for what might only be a few hundred dollars more. But good idea to hear what you learn, thanks.

#9 ·
NO

Clarification:
The proposed larger factory tank would only add another 75-100 miles (5 gallons) to the range of the Transit.
The estimated cost of this add-on (not upgrade imo) is in excess of $500.
That's a double dose of NOPE.

MAYBE

Clarification:
An auxiliary 100 liter tank (doubles the current fuel capacity)
Cost of option $500 or less

YES

Clarification:
125 liter/33 gallon fuel tank
Cost of option $250 or less

Keep in mind the engineering and handling of larger or additional fuel tanks. Gas weighs 6lbs per gallon so it isn't much to add 20 gallons to the capacity, especially since it's carried low on the vehicle. Heck, 20-30 gallons is the same as having another passenger. The engineering part is keeping tanks away from heat sources (exhaust), moving parts (driveshaft) and road hazards. The current 350-400 mile range of the Transit is about 6 hours of highway driving. Most people would WANT to stop at least every 6 hours. My old Sprinter with the same size tank would go 550-700 miles between fill ups, that was nice for the reason that I would not have to fill up every week around home, or I could fill up on a roadtrip where the fuel was a little cheaper and thus save myself sometimes a whopping $5-10 on that tank.

#10 ·
I was originally convinced that I'd need a bigger tank so always carry 10 gal extra in two 5 gal Jerry cans.

In my first 7,000 miles of use with multiple 500 mile days and lots of off-road in isolated locations, I have never needed the spare gas. So I recently put a 15 gal drinking water tank alongside the OEM gas tank.

#11 ·
Unfortunately I think you're right Surly Bill. I expect buying the bigger tank equipment from Ford will be well over $500, probably closer to $1000.

Unless as Travlin said, it could be salvaged from a wrecked vehicle somewhere down the road.

I just got back from a 4000 mile trip where I saw $2/gallon price differences along the way. Even on the return through Vegas, while still in Nevada, I saw $1/gal differences.

Yeah, though it's nice to save $25 or $50 on a fill up, that's not justification to spend $1000, it would take some 120,000 miles to break even.

I have AAA. But not having to worry about running out of gas in an area with no cell service is priceless. Well, at least to me.

Reactions: asdrew
#13 ·
So I was warned about Primm, Nevada, just before the California border. I pulled off 10 miles earlier at Terrible's, and unleaded was $4.00/gal. I thought that was ridiculous, so I drove to Primm, where it was $4.52/gal. I chanced it and made it to Barstow's first exit and it was $3.53/gal, a $1/gal difference. If driving that route it's best to fill up before you leave Vegas toward L.A.

I paid $2.54 in Wyoming, and I think $4.75 in Zion, so prices are all over the place. But again, while it's nice to save money when possible by filling up at less expensive stops, my desire for a larger tank capacity is driven by the look on that lady's face when she realized there was nowhere to gas up and no cell service.

Even with cell service, sitting by the side of the road with kids in the car for an hour, in 109* temperatures, while waiting for AAA to show up is all kinds of bad to me. I'd gladly pay $1000 to avoid that.

#14 ·
Not interested in a larger fuel tank.
Might be interested in an Aux fuel tank, transporting safely and securely below my transit
*Having an extra 5-10 gallons on reserve for longer trips/emergencies.
*Use it for topping off generator or snowmachine
*Folks could set up w/ diesel for their Webasto heaters
etc.

#17 ·
I would love a larger tank. one of my complaints on the short list of complaints about the Transit. I'm delighted that Ford is increasing the size to 31 but would sure appreciate more. I'd pay $1000 for a retrofit of 35 gallons or higher. Can't really justify more $ when the van already has 100,000 miles of my expected 250,000 life. I do long miles and like long range.

#19 ·
I like the bean and cheese burritos at Pilot.

The one in St George has Midgrade at $3.05/gallon and is about 42 miles from the Zion National Park shuttle parking lot. That means I can rack up 300 miles while circling the parking lot in search of a space and still get back to the Pilot for more burritos before the low fuel warning light comes on.

I like to plan ahead.

#23 · (Edited)
#21 ·
I was planning on attempting a retrofit of the 31 gallon tank from the 2020 once pricing / part numbers were available. I would consider an aftermarket tank as well. I think an aux tank concept with transfer would be interesting, would love to use it to power the generator, heater, etc.

#22 ·
Instead of a larger fuel tank, how about a Transit that gets respectable mpg?

25mpg avg would give the current 25+/- gallon tank a range of 625.
It would take a 37gal tank with a GENEROUS 17mpg avg to get 625. (my avg on long highway trips)
And my real-world avg of 15.5mpg would require a 40gal tank. (60/40 city/highway)

I DO like the idea of an aftermarket aux tank underneath, with a built in elec pump. Use it to carry fuel for tools and toys, and if needed because of poor planning, pump some fuel into the main tank.

Reactions: Travlin and asdrew
#104 ·
Instead of a larger fuel tank, how about a Transit that gets respectable mpg?

25mpg avg would give the current 25+/- gallon tank a range of 625.
It would take a 37gal tank with a GENEROUS 17mpg avg to get 625. (my avg on long highway trips)
And my real-world avg of 15.5mpg would require a 40gal tank. (60/40 city/highway)

I DO like the idea of an aftermarket aux tank underneath, with a built in elec pump. Use it to carry fuel for tools and toys, and if needed because of poor planning, pump some fuel into the main tank.
One of the ways to get better fuel mileage out of the 2020 Transit with the RWD model is having the option to get the 3.31 rear axle ratio with the 10 speed automatic transmission. This should give you a lot better fuel mileage especially on the highway with less RPMs on the engine,

#24 ·
I agree Surly Bill, an undercarriage auxiliary tank with a built in pump would be a decent alternative. Much better than strapping jerry cans or rotopax to the outside. I'm not aiming for super-stealthy, but having a bunch of stuff strapped to the outside sends the message the inside is already full. Not a problem when well off paved roads, but not the message I want to send around town.

#25 ·
I would be more likely to retrofit a future factory tank than go aftermarket.
That said if it was someone experienced like Transfer Flow or Long Ranger then I would go $1000 but not much higher.
I have gotten used to having at least 5 gal in a NATO can just in case I get bad gas or punch a hole in a tank, that would not change with a larger tank.

What I really want is a gas tank skid plate to protect the low hanging plastic from rocks.

#26 ·
Oneleglance, Quadvan does have a gas tank skid plate! My hope was to put that on after getting a larger tank. Definitely a week spot without some additional protection.

Reactions: oneleglance