• Other

Votes: 23 44.2%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know insurance is a hot topic. Searching the forum has insurance info scattered all over — much of it possibly out of date?

I hoped a poll could bring the forum up to date and gather insurance info in one thread.

(I've never posted a poll before, so forgive me if I screw this up.)

I was hoping people could post what insurance company they were able to get for their Transits. Maybe give some idea of how expensive it is (and and other pointers, tips).

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
Geico, full coverage, $1060/year

Using available discounts (Also have Geico home insurance policy, non-smoker, college grad). When you have more than one policy with a company the rates go down for both.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Lotta variables. State to state. Different van models. Stock, converted or work van. One company might insure a particular van in one state, but, not in another.

I have Allstate, bundled in with homeowner. They insured it off of the VIN, never looked at the van, or asked anything but personal use.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Lotta variables. State to state. Different van models. Stock, converted or work van. One company might insure a particular van in one state, but, not in another.

Agree! This has become a complicated issue based on many algorithm factors. Insurance company computers now crunch a whole bunch of your internet public info, whether they ask for it or not. Don't be fooled by simplistic comparison charts.

No substitute for doing your homework on this. Your location probably makes the most difference. And your current credit score. And your driving history. And who else is on the policy with you. Eye color. Shoe size. Etc, etc.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have GEICO for my cars — planning on getting a Transit soon (thus the impetus for the poll). A recent thread suggested GEICO is no longer covering Transits. I guess that has not been your experience though.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Agree, a poll of what other users has found is at least part of that homework. Granted it is going to vary from person to person. But, as I stated in my previous post, if GEICO or other is not covering Transits at all, then that should be useful info for everyone.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Progressive Commercial

$1,000/year

Liability $1,000,000
Uninsured $100,000/$300,000
Medical $5,000
Comp and Collision $2,500/$1,500 Deductible, $20,000 for attached upgrades like cabinets
Rental $50/days
Roadside Assistance

I have a clean driving record so this is going to be one of the lowest rates with this company in SoCAL.
I have gotten quotes from other companies and this was still the lowest.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Geico Personal
2016 T150 Pass. MR 130
$639.40 a year Full coverage $500 deductible. Policy is with 2 vehicle discount, perfect driving record, low yearly mileage driven, southern ca.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Geico Personal
2017 350 Passenger MR 148WB
In Alabama liability coverage is mandatory, but Geico does not break down the cost of liability coverage by vehicle so with multiple vehicles I can't determine the cost for the Transit alone. What is interesting, tho, is I had a perfect driving record for 30+ years until I backed into a parked car in a parking lot in 2016 and Geico raised my premiums $400 a year since then. I'm pretty sure my car (not the Transit) didn't damage the parked car that much and I repaired my car myself because my deductible was more than the repair cost. If I had known then what I know now I would have paid to have the parked car repaired myself and not involved Geico.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Wow, I guess I am getting transited by my insurance

12k miles a year, pleasure only
Pass van
1 ton
$1100/year - $100 deductible, state min for stuff.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Wow, I guess I am getting transited by my insurance

12k miles a year, pleasure only
Pass van
1 ton
$1100/year - $100 deductible, state min for stuff.

Not necessarily. A lot depends on where you live, your coverage limits, deductible ($100 is a very low deductible IMHO) driving record, miles driven and even the MSRP of the vehicle as well as the insurance company. When I changed from Allstate to Geico (in 2014 before I bought the Transit) my premium dropped almost $500/year for the same coverage on 2 vehicles.

·
Registered
764 Posts
True, I have a clean driving record,
no spring chicken here.
I have been insured with the same company since 2002, good point, I will need to shop around, I was surprised by the insurance amount.

Anyone else in MI?

FYI:
the premium diff between $100 ~ $1000 is only $40/year last time I checked.

·
Registered
280 Posts
This is progressive and i am in Michigan non commercial, we both have good driving records and live in a low crime city in Wayne County:

Summary of Coverages and Rate (six month premiums)

Vehicle

Rate
2004 FORD F150 $277.00
MCCA assessment recoupment $96.00
Statutory assessment recoupment $21.00

2007 FORD FUSION $297.00

2017 FORD T-350 TRANSIT WAGON $292.00

Total policy rate: $1,217.00

Detailed coverage on the Transit:

2017 FORD T-350 TRANSIT WAGON

Coverages
Limits
Rate
Bodily Injury & Property Damage Liability:
$100,000 each person
$300,000 each accident
$100,000 each accident $62.00
Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist: $20,000 each person
$40,000 each accident $5.00
Personal Protection Insurance: Excess Medical w
$500 deductible
Excess Work Loss $70.00
Limited Property Damage: $1,000 each accident $5.00
Property Protection Insurance: $1,000,000 each accident $5.00
Comprehensive: $250 deductible $41.00
Collision: $500 deductible - Standard $99.00
Rental Reimbursement: No Coverage $0.00
Roadside Assistance:
Selected $5.00
Custom Parts and/or Equipment value:
(At the time of a claim, it will be the insured's responsibility to show receipts to verify the existence and value of additional parts or equipment.) $0.00 $0.00
Loan/Lease Payoff: No Coverage $0.00
Total rate for this vehicle: $292.00

·
Registered
78 Posts
Some insurance companies have higher premiums for loyal customers. So a person who has been with them for 20 years will have a higher premium than a person who has only been with the same insurance company 1 year. Also, if you lived in the same house for many years you could be penalized on your auto insurance. It's called the loyalty penalty.

Allstate premium for 2019 Transit T-150, 148" WB, MR = $519.01

Coverage details:
Liability: $180.42 ($100k each person/$300k each occurrence, $200k property damage)
Uninsured Motorists: $10.78 ($100k each person/$300k each occurrence, $25k each accident)
Collision: $233.55 ($500 deductible)
Comprehensive: $90.53 ($250 deductible)
Medical: $3.73 ($2k each person)

Premiums vary widely depending on payout per person/occurrence and deductible.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Auto insurance can be confusing. I noticed that uninsured motorist for kc8flb and victoryvisiontour is less than 10% of liability coverage and that's what my research showed it should be so when Geico quoted me 85% of liability I questioned that number. I was told it was correct so I asked what uninsured motorist covered and found out that in Alabama it only covers bodily injury. Unlike many other states, it does not pay for lost wages or property damage. And no one can register a vehicle and get a license plate in Alabama without proof of liability coverage so why is uninsured motorist coverage so high? Maybe it's just Geico. I haven't checked other companies.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Auto insurance can be confusing. I noticed that uninsured motorist for kc8flb and victoryvisiontour is less than 10% of liability coverage and that's what my research showed it should be so when Geico quoted me 85% of liability I questioned that number. I was told it was correct so I asked what uninsured motorist covered and found out that in Alabama it only covers bodily injury. Unlike many other states, it does not pay for lost wages or property damage. And no one can register a vehicle and get a license plate in Alabama without proof of liability coverage so why is uninsured motorist coverage so high? Maybe it's just Geico. I haven't checked other companies.
In Texas the quotes I've seen all had uninsured motorist on par with the cost of collision. Like they are an either/or proposition. It used to be cheap.

I'll have to shop around some and see if there are companies here still adding it at a lower cost like the examples given above.

Unless those low cost UI rates are only where both collision and uninsured insurance were purchased together. To me it seems unnecessary to have comp and collision, then add UI. Though I do prefer to have comp and UI, if it saves me money. I'm willing to take a chance that any collision I'm involved in will be covered by one or the other of those. (As I don't use credit, I have no need for lender required collision coverage and avoid paying for it when the numbers support doing so)

·
Registered
764 Posts
KC8 - Thanks, my rates are about 35% more than your, I am in KENT County and in small town with small police force, we do have a high incidence of vehicular larceny

6 months - $397

$100,000 EACH PERSON $300,000 EACH ACCIDENT
$100,000 EACH ACCIDENT
$1000000 Property per occ
UNLIMITED MEDICAL WORK LOSS-UP TO $5,541/MONTH SURVIVORS LOSS-UP TO $5,541/MONTH
DEDUCTIBLE $0
$100,000 EACH PERSON $300,000 EACH ACCIDENT
BROADENED FORM DEDUCTIBLE CAR 15-$100
DEDUCTIBLES CAR 15-$100 16-$100 22-$100

VictoryVision - what the, loyalty penalty, man, that is low, right in the gut, I guess I need to switch.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just got this quote for a used Transit cargo van I'm considering. State is Colorado. Safeco Insurance. We also have all our homeowners insurance through them and have been with them for the past 5 years. Maybe time to shop around or increase the deductible on the comprehensive.

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts
I saved $1,200 per year on insurance by converting my registration from passenger van (non-commercial) in california to an RV. RV insurance from progressive was dramatically cheaper than passenger van insurance from USAA. My DMV registration went down as well. I've also heard you can be parked somewhere and drink a beer in an RV, where as in a non-RV you'd get a DUI in cali, but who knows if that is true.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts