Ford Transit USA Forum banner

41 - 60 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
I tried a few 14-20 rivnuts that came with the tool but found that they did not hold as well. The holes are a bit too large for the smaller collar they create behind the sheet metal. Possibly this is due to my inexperience.
Since it's a metric vehicle, the 6 mm rivnuts would have fit the holes properly.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
do not be a tightwad, plusnuts are so quick and easy to install with the 30 dollar tool and a small battery powered impact wrench! (no grease required!) the impact wrench is not required, it just makes the install go faster.

https://www.mcmaster.com/#96349a305/=17fnmtv
Did my plus nuts with a hex head bolt and an impact gun as well. Seems kind of methodical turning an open end wrench 10000 times.

·
Registered
5,544 Posts
Did my plus nuts with a hex head bolt and an impact gun as well. Seems kind of methodical turning an open end wrench 10000 times.
Even an old person can add 1/4-20NC plusnuts in the many existing holes in the Transit interior. No need for an expensive tool. No need for drilling. Two box end wrenches can be used with a $30 tool. I did not find it exhausting to turn a wrench for installation. Did not drill any new holes for the the plusnuts. Used existing holes. No need for metric.

https://www.mcmaster.com/?ref=driverlayer.com#nut-insert-installation-tools/=1d6ix5u

The small size of the tool (# 96349A305) allows access in tight places.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Even an old person can add 1/4-20NC plusnuts in the many existing holes in the Transit interior. No need for an expensive tool. No need for drilling. Two box end wrenches can be used with a $30 tool. I did not find it exhausting to turn a wrench for installation. Did not drill any new holes for the the plusnuts. Used existing holes. No need for metric.

https://www.mcmaster.com/?ref=driverlayer.com#nut-insert-installation-tools/=1d6ix5u

The small size of the tool (# 96349A305) allows access in tight places.
You did it the right with a $30 tool, and lots of free time, I had to get a van together and fit in premade steel shelving, so drilling holes and using an impact gun did the trick for me. Very few factory holes lined up for what I was doing and trying to accomplish.

I had my van put together in the matter of a couple of days.

·
Registered
233 Posts
So what's the consensus on the metric vs standard. If the truck is metric I'd rather go metric. What plus nut would be the one to go with?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hello, This is not my original idea but I blended a few different concepts, gleaned from youtube videos and made what is shown in the attached image. What is shown was for the 1/4 20 plus nuts, but the same combination should work for the 6mm, just need a different bolt. I did not use an impact driver as I felt the drill clutch allowed for finer control. your mileage may vary ( I also got my plus nuts from rivetsonline,nice folks. ( Now to the hard question, metric vs standard. I started with 1/4 20 but now feel unclean about not using metric but that is something I will have to take up with my therapist ;-)

Attachments

Reactions: Frank Hunt

·
Registered
233 Posts
Thank you so much for posting this. Amazing how well this works. :D
Edit: Just installed a hundred of these using the above method in about an hour.
The holed needed reaming out ever so slightly for the metric nuts to fit. I used a 3/8 part of a step drill and then a rubber mallet to get the nut in the hole prior to using the above tool. Then used a cordless drill to seat them.

Need to order more.

Hello, This is not my original idea but I blended a few different concepts, gleaned from youtube videos and made what is shown in the attached image. What is shown was for the 1/4 20 plus nuts, but the same combination should work for the 6mm, just need a different bolt. I did not use an impact driver as I felt the drill clutch allowed for finer control. your mileage may vary ( I also got my plus nuts from rivetsonline,nice folks. ( Now to the hard question, metric vs standard. I started with 1/4 20 but now feel unclean about not using metric but that is something I will have to take up with my therapist ;-)

·
Registered
164 Posts
I've had the odd nut spin on me when adding a bolt. Its a PIA to fix that after. They were tightened down plenty, but still a few are spinning on me. The ones that I can get behind I can get vice grips on to hold them, but some hidden ones are impossible. Had to drill a few out and reinstall, but I'm still getting the odd spinner.

any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Cordless impact wrench and the correct tool (McMaster) as mentioned elsewhere in this thread, They will be tightened down so tight that they will never spin.

I gutted my first camper build and built a new version, Which meant that i had to take almost everything apart, None of my original plusnuts spun when i reused some of them.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I've had the odd nut spin on me when adding a bolt. Its a PIA to fix that after. They were tightened down plenty, but still a few are spinning on me. The ones that I can get behind I can get vice grips on to hold them, but some hidden ones are impossible. Had to drill a few out and reinstall, but I'm still getting the odd spinner.

any suggestions?
I've had quite a few spinners using plusnuts also. So many in fact, I've gone back to using regular rivnuts for most everything. They usually feel nice and tight until they get a little torque applied, then they'll start slipping. The rivnuts I'm using have been great, never had one spin on me.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Man that does suck. Thanks for the heads up I'll be testing all 200 of mine now. :|
I looked and looked and could not find a recommended seating torque for plus nuts.
Seems a process criticality to me

any suggestions?

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have to ask, on the plus-nuts that have spun, has one tried re-seating/expanding them with the installation tool?

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
The tool is a bolt with a hole drilled thru the center and a nut along with another bolt that goes in the center of the drilled bolt and screws into the plusnut, When the drilled bolt unscrews all the way from the nut you have the correct torque, It is foolproof.

You do not even need the impact, It just makes it quicker and easier.

https://www.mcmaster.com/96349a305

·
Registered
356 Posts
Have never used plus nuts.
Some rivnuts have serrations that go against the workpiece contact area.

·
Registered
620 Posts
This reminded me of some things I learned while using plusnuts:

1. After the plusnut is installed, if there's any resistance or stiffness when screwing in the bolt, the plusnut may start spinning, and you'll have to grind it off. I used a dremel for this - small enough to not damage the surrounding sheet metal. I think that after installing/uninstalling my bed frame a few times, some of the plusnut threads were damaged. Now when I encounter a stiff bolt, I clean up the threads with a thread chaser first. I'm also considering putting a bit of oil on the threads in the future if I know I'm going to have to install/remove several times.

2. If a plusnut isn't in straight, you can screw a bolt in, and then use the bolt to straighten the nut. The van sheet metal will bend (unless you're in a pillar or something). But it's better to straighten the bolt BEFORE you finish installing the plusnut by reefing on the wrench you have on the tool. Then you've got a better shot at really tight install.

3. The tool works better than the home built job - because the tool does not turn the bolt when installing the nut - instead - it pulls out on the bolt. No bolt turning means less chance of the plusnut spinning in the hole, and less damage to the threads.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have installed many "squish" nuts with both my homemade bolt/nut/washer setup and the proper tool. I prefer the tool whenever possible. It is so much faster and easier. And if I get the nut off angle I can easily re-square it with the tool and re-squish it. Both my homemade setup and the tool have their pros and cons. The biggest pro with the homemade one is getting in tight places (the tool is big and needs lots of room to operate). I like to use the homemade version on non-metal materials such as carbon fiber and plastic. I can feel the amount of squash on softer materials.

I got my tool on ebay for $45. It's the Tacklife 14" Rivet Nut Tool. It came with 7 thread mandrels for metric and inch along with an assortment of nuts and a nice carrying case. https://www.tacklifetools.com/product/product/index/id/135 . I installed 103 rivnuts in the Transit. I don't think I would have tackled that job without the tool.

Attachments

41 - 60 of 79 Posts