Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm starting a build on a new 2020 AWD 148 HR and I'm excited and scared, but mostly thankful for all the incredible knowledge that all of you share on this forum. I'm rushing through this for personal reasons and wish I had more time for the planning stage, but here goes.....
First, I only have a basic understanding of 12V electrical systems, but hopefully I have learned enough to safely make my way through this. I also don't have a good graphics program on my laptop, so I used Google Drawings, which worked although is not nearly as pretty as what all the rest of you have posted. And I used some wonky symbols since I was limited in what I could draw.
Please feel free to tear this apart and give me advice. A few questions that I have to start:
  1. I'm planning on hooking up the the CCP2 point on the driver's seat. Since this has a 175A fuse, can I run my cable directly from there to my Cyrix located in the electrical box near the driver side rear wheel? No breaker at that point?
  2. At this point I'm only planning on installing 150Ah of Lithium, which should only take 75A of charging current. Correct? If I ever add more batteries that could handle more charging current, is the CCP2 and Ford system smart enough to to not send more than 175A through that point? I should also add here that the van I was able to pick up has the dual alternators, so I have plenty of capacity to send more than 175A, I just don't need it with the size of my battery bank. I calculated my daily draw around 50Ah.
  3. I ran my wire sizes through the Blue Sea calculator and honestly some of them came out smaller that I expected. Should I upsize some of them for an added safety margin or potential future upgrades?
Thanks for the help, I'm learning!
Electric Distibution.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
Here's my take:
1. Remember when using a calculator, it's total round trip distance.
2. You're going to have losses with your panel setup depending how different the 75W panel is. Read this Mixing solar panels – Dos and Don’ts • SOLAR PANEL SECRETS EXPOSED
3. If you're expecting 250A to come out of the battery, you might want to increase the wire there. Or reduce the fuse size to something 2 AWG can handle.
4. 55A of DC loads would require 10 AWG to meet ABYC standards.

·
Registered
168 Posts
The 2020 has a smart alternator. It is my understanding that the alternator, by design, keeps the batteries in a partially discharged state. Aren't you concerned that using a battery combiner will result in the charging system keeping your house battery in a partially discharged state?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmm. I’m not aware of that situation. For one, I have changed the plan to use a Sterling 120a B2B charger. Would that solve the problem?
I also have planned to use only 100w panels and increase the size of some wiring.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’m planning on connecting to CCP2 which should like it should put out up to 175a.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Hmm. I’m not aware of that situation. For one, I have changed the plan to use a Sterling 120a B2B charger. Would that solve the problem?
I also have planned to use only 100w panels and increase the size of some wiring.
Yes, the B2B should accommodate the smart alternator. There are several ways to wire the B2B. Consult the manual and use the method appropriate for vehicles with smart alternators.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts