Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in installing onboard Air, mostly to air up tires after offroading. Would be great to hear the experience of others before diving in. Has anyone installed a compressor in the engine compartment? Do people use air tanks? How best to route air fittings to front and rear? What equipment works best? How much current draw? etc.

Please post pictures and lessons-learned from your Onboard Air system!

· Registered
2020 T350 EB SRW AWD HR EL
969 Posts
I don't have experience with the onboard air application for the cargo van conversion, but I do use onboard air for rock crawling for Jeep.
For just the air up tires, I would keep it simple. ARB is pricy but good. Pick the one you need. I would not use an air tank since it won't help you much. Make your outlet in the middle of the van using a quick disconnect.

Obviously, there are many ways to fit your need, just pick the one you like.

· Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

· Registered
1,169 Posts
On long road trips, I take my good ole Hobo Freight $40.00 120V, 2.5A, 100 PSI pancake compressor. To date, the built-in 400 watt 120VAC inverter has enough power to run it. I take an extension cord, a 50 ft coil air hose, and several different air filler heads. To date, I have only used it to fill/top off bicycle tires.
If needed, I can take my 1200 watt Honda generator too.

Automotive lighting Product Automotive design Font Gas

Reactions: Captadv

· Registered
7,158 Posts

· Registered
310 Posts
I have a ViAir 450IC and will probably get another. The pnuematics in my build require it, and I do use it to re-inflate the tires as well. Occasionly use it to blow out dust and dirt as well. Currently i have it bolted to a 1 gallon tank and the package bolts to my 80/20 frame. Once it warms up it's going under the van with maybe a 3 gallon with an additional dryer system between it and the small tank. I plan on putting quick connects on the sides and back for easier access and to reduce the length of hose I need.

Also, the more CFM the better. Currently it takes about 7-8 mins to take a single KO2 from 25 back to 60 psi.

· Registered
845 Posts
I mounted the ARB single motor version with a tank under that van as you can see in the following picture. I definitely think the tank helps but I also changed the motor on/off pressure switch to a higher threshold. My reasoning was the dual motor ARB version seems the same except it has dual motors. The cfm is double and current double but dual motor one is rated for continuous duty cycle and 150 psi. So I figure the motor and compressor is the same and I think I used a pressure switch that turns off at 120 psi instead of 100. I haven’t had any problems with it yet

You can also see I mounted my webasto under the van to save the most amount of interior space

· Registered
2,076 Posts
I have a Viair 400P automatic that I plan to mount underneath. Will probably just stow the quick connect extra long hose in the van until needed. I don't think I'd put it in the hot engine compartment. Probably next to the gas tank, driver's side, or up above the spare tire if I can fit it there. No plan for a tank. I just need it to add 20'ish psi back to each tire, which it does just fine without having to wait while it cools. Automatic helps a little by shutting down when not in use, but if the caps are already off and you move quick, it's not much different than the regular version. I got a crazy good deal on the automatic with the longer hose so went for it.

Cheers.

· Registered
32 Posts
I use this Viair RV compressor, has 2 extra long air hoses so you can air up your trailer tires too. Very nice quality. I installed quick disconnects on heavy gauge cables directly to the battery, on all my vehicles. The Viair comes in a bag, is lightweight, and portable to my different vehicles. Its powerful, its no cigarette lighter style air compressor.

Attachments

· Registered
321 Posts
I'm sorry, I don't have pics, but I used a Viair - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000YC42RG/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I mounted the compressor under the van directly below the passenger seat. The tank sits behind it (towards the rear just a bit). I would say that this compressor works about as well as the ARB in my land cruiser. I mostly use mine for bike tires, and in particular wanted the tank to be able to quick change multiple tubeless tires. I do use it for airing up the van's tires on occasion and it works just fine for that.

· Registered
2017 T-250-MR-148-3.5-ARB AIR-LOCKER REAR
149 Posts
I'm interested in installing onboard Air, mostly to air up tires after offroading. Would be great to hear the experience of others before diving in. Has anyone installed a compressor in the engine compartment? Do people use air tanks? How best to route air fittings to front and rear? What equipment works best? How much current draw? etc.

Please post pictures and lessons-learned from your Onboard Air system!
The primary job of this ARB #CKMA12 is for the air-locker. It is mounted on the aft end of the water tank box over the wheel-well. These ARB air-pumps are noisy. Fortunately, for differential operation, the unit does not cycle ON much.
The plan is to install an air-chuck, air-tank, and carry a short air-hose to blow out the interior dust/dirt. This unit can air-up tires, slowly.

Electrical wiring Gas Cable Machine Auto part

· Registered
2021 EXT HR Adventure Build in Progress
167 Posts
I am leery of the viair because my 400 failed the first time unused it. The hose fitting blew right off of the output and there was no way to fix it. I had to drive 20 mph for 15 miles to a gas station.

Maybe it was a fluke, I don’t have the budget for an ARB system but want to be able to air down for BLM camping and snow.

· Registered
321 Posts
My Viair in the Transit has been reliable for the 3.5 years that I've had it. I had one in my Sportsmobile as well. I like it better than the ARB in my Landcruiser - that one is noisy and doesn't put out a lot of volume....but it has been running flawlessly for 20ish years.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.