Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Thanks for posting a link to those pictures, a lot of great pictures of the Transit, a lot which im sure will end up in a brochure of some sort

·
Registered
200 Posts
Probably the wrong thread for this but this is where I saw the specs at the site VanMan posted.

Can anybody comment on the width specs?

According to the spec sheet, the Transit has an exterior width of 81.3 inches (vehicle width without mirrors) whereas the old E-series RB is 79.4 (width without mirrors). Yet, the interior width of the Transit is 69.8 (maximum interior load width). The RB is 73.6 (Cargo width at floor excluding wheelhouses; sliding door trim). The Transit is wider between the wheelhouse (54.8 for Transit - 52.5 for RB). In addition, I have heard that the walls of the RB can be recessed for more width.

Why is the Transit interior maximum width more narrow relative to the RB if it's overall outside and between the wheelhouse dimensions are wider? Are they measuring maximum interior widths differently for the two models or is the interior width of the Transit actually more narrow? Does anybody know if the Transit walls be recessed?

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Probably the wrong thread for this but this is where I saw the specs at the site VanMan posted.

Can anybody comment on the width specs?

According to the spec sheet, the Transit has an exterior width of 81.3 inches (vehicle width without mirrors) whereas the old E-series RB is 79.4 (width without mirrors). Yet, the interior width of the Transit is 69.8 (maximum interior load width). The RB is 73.6 (Cargo width at floor excluding wheelhouses; sliding door trim). The Transit is wider between the wheelhouse (54.8 for Transit - 52.5 for RB). In addition, I have heard that the walls of the RB can be recessed for more width.

Why is the Transit interior maximum width more narrow relative to the RB if it's overall outside and between the wheelhouse dimensions are wider? Are they measuring maximum interior widths differently for the two models or is the interior width of the Transit actually more narrow? Does anybody know if the Transit walls be recessed?
I (VanMan) did not post any specs, but don't worry, you will get a answer from others. It sounds like you are looking @ cargo vs wagon (pass) data?
Please help us help you, what kind of transit (cargo? wagon?
What is "RB" ?

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BACK TO THE SHOW:
The BLUE in the video looks Great, That GOLD! body (cargo)! who's getting that?

VanMan

·
Registered
200 Posts
Sorry for the confusion VanMan. I'm trying to compare the Transit cargo van interior width with that of the old E-series Regular length Body (RB) cargo van. I clicked on the site you posted (https://media.ford.com/content/fordm...5-transit.html)
and then clicked on Details and Specs in the lower left where I downloaded "2015 Ford Transit Tech Specs".

That is where I found the 69.8 (maximum interior load width) number. I then compared those numbers with the specs for the old E-series Regular length Body van, which I found at
2014 Ford E-Series Van Work Trucks | View Interior Specifications | Ford.com

The Transit specs are there as well
(2015 Ford Transit Commercial Full-Size Van | Interior Specs | Ford.com)
but, for some reason, they don't give maximum interior cargo width for the transit.

Anyway, you may be right. Maybe that 69.8 number corresponds with the passenger transit van. Otherwise, I don't understand how the outside width of the Transit could be 81.3 inches and the interior width only 69.8. Where did that 11.5 inches go? I could see it disappear in the cushioned walls of a passenger van, but not in a cargo van. Or, maybe I'm miss-interpreting what the numbers mean?

And sorry to be off-topic. I looked around for another thread but didn't see one. And I was already here.

At the moment I like the blue but I'll have to see it up close. I also like the silver and the green. I'm leaning heavily toward the small wheelbase - but I gotta see one of these things!!!

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK, I did post that link, I just did it for the pictures, sorry
I will look more, but what are you after? space wise?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Thanks for the vids...

Looking at the wagon interior, that now solidifies my position on starting with a cargo van. The headliner/ceiling is certainly nice for a people transporter, but would sure chew up a lot of valuable space for an rv.

Still, it would have been nice to have something like a removable 2 seat bench on a cargo van as a factory option...

·
Registered
200 Posts
The videos are great. The wheelhouses don't look like they take up much interior space and they are set back even on the 148 wheelbase. Seems like you couldn't overload the back end behind the wheels.

I'm still confused about the interior width. I'm 5'8" and would like to sleep sideways in the back with enough room to stretch out a little. At the end of one of the videos (post number 13) on the passenger van it looks like the walls are brought in to be flush with the width of the rear door opening (59.8 inches according to the specs).

For the cargo van the rear cargo door opening is 61.7". The interior width of the cargo van (seen in post number 15) is wider at the rear door and I'm guessing that the maximum interior width measured with those wall panels seen in the video would be 69.8" as indicated in the specs. It looks like you can remove those wall panels for additional width. I'm looking for an interior width of at least 73 inches so I don't feel too cramped while sleeping.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Go to the search bar (I just found it)
type in "build your own"
use the link to Ford

The panels in the cargo version are extra $

The videos are Ford guys going around to the dealers for training, with alot of options on some of the vans

1 - 20 of 22 Posts