Ford Transit USA Forum banner

21 - 40 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
He expressed his preferences. One cannot really argue with that.
I can't believe you just assumed the posters gender in this day and age. :)

He/she stated Ford addressed all of my "problems" with the start/stop.

I am sure Ford did not decide to put the best battery in that they could. They would never do that. Auto manufactures put the cheapest, bulk purchased battery they can find in vehicles.

My last "problem" cannot be addressed by Ford at all. Therefore, he/she could not even have read my post.

·
Registered
163 Posts
my last three cars have auto stop/start, the first one was a volvo and you could either ease up on the brake or slightly turn the steering wheel or press the button right next to the push button start and it would restart, my last two cars you can once again press that button everytime you start the car or put it in sport mode which also cuts out auto stop/start. some cars I have driven the auto start is not really a delay at all and others it is quite slow. it is like a lot of other things on cars, the more you use it the less of an issue it becomes. my first german can had auto return blinker stalk and you would press up or down and the stalk would go back to center even though the blinker was engaged, at first I hated this it felt like a video game console and the difference between lane change and full on blinker was extremely subtle but I adjusted to it so much that when I got my second german car and it had returned to the common american version I was very disappointed......i got over it

·
Registered
258 Posts
My concern would be actual engine wear.

When your motor isn't running, the oil system isn't pressurized, and each start has a bit of actual metal-on-metal contact between the rotating assembly and block (bearings, technically). That was always part of the reason the prevailing recommendation was to change your oil more often in vehicles with high "city miles" than "highway miles".

If you read any of the press releases, manufacturers will all say they have new coating technology that makes this a non-issue for the lifetime of the vehicle, but the manufacturer's version of "lifetime" may differ from yours (i.e. see all the lifetime fluid BS that we're all too familiar with). Starters are several hundred dollars and are pretty easy to replace, replacing a motor usually means replacing the whole vehicle, for most people.

I personally would always disable it, if given the choice. There are good ways to save fuel, this is not one of them.

·
Registered
938 Posts
I can't believe you just assumed the posters gender in this day and age. :)
My intention was to defend your expression of preferences. And while I am conscious of my gender bias for the written word I think it was your avatar that drove it in this case. My apologies, ma'am.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Wow, did not expect this many responses! The Tacoma button I modified is also 'stateless' so there's hope there, in FORSCAN as well as the aforementioned grounding in the BEMM.

My decision is based on concerns already stated in the thread as well as it just being my personal preference whether it's baseless or not :)

@Vanpackr I saw your black wheels in another thread, is that rattle can, plasti-dip or powder-coat? Are you still running the OE stock tires?

·
Registered
938 Posts
@Vanpackr I saw your black wheels in another thread, is that rattle can, plasti-dip or powder-coat? Are you still running the OE stock tires?
Plastidip. Works fine for now as well as the tire. So many other things to spend money on while building so the tires can wait. I'm considering keeping the tires the same diameter as I like the handing of the van as it sites. My tire guy was saying there are some "border patrol tires" that would be awesome for it. Super high mileage warranty and near bullet proof. He said they were "like semi tires for light trucks". Sounds interesting.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Disabling auto start/stop is not hard electically, just apply a momentary close after engine run goes true. Someone has already done it for you:

·
Registered
5,785 Posts
Plastidip. Works fine for now as well as the tire. So many other things to spend money on while building so the tires can wait. I'm considering keeping the tires the same diameter as I like the handing of the van as it sites. My tire guy was saying there are some "border patrol tires" that would be awesome for it. Super high mileage warranty and near bullet proof. He said they were "like semi tires for light trucks". Sounds interesting.
I ordered the optional full wheel covers for $35 or so. When wheel covers are purchased the wheels are painted black like the spare tire wheel. With all 5 black wheels I can do a 5 tire rotation. Added a TPMS sensor to the spare tire wheel. Traded the full wheel covers for the standard small black hubcaps.

I changed from the stock 235/65/16 tires to 245/70/16 tires. Was very surprised by how much improvement the change made to the handling.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
@Vanpackr Thanks for that feedback!
@orton Like the ambulance package, I would have done that had I known. My order is currently in build 'WEEK' status and I don't want to even think about trying to change anything. I'm pretty sure I'm in the running for longest waiting customer (8/13/2019)
@RVing That's exactly what I did on my Tacoma, funny that article references him replacing his Tacoma. The transit is not listed on their site but I can't imagine the system being different - I'll reach out to them and report back here.

·
Registered
2020 MR 148, Ecoboost, Beluga white, more to come.
350 Posts
...causing the vehicle to stay in tow mode which disables start/start. I've not tried this myself and I don't know what other effects trailer drive mode brings with it.
It affects the shift mode of the transmission causing it to hold gears longer. I think, but not certain, that it remaps the throttle progression, too. This is not really something I would want to do as holding shifts reduces economy and causes more harshness without the tow load. I have experimented with all four drive modes and there are positives and negatives to each when used outside of the intended parameters.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I forget which options, but ambulance package was incompatible with some of the features I ordered, so it was a no-go for me. My only reason for not wanting start/stop is that while driving I want the vehicle continuously powering my 2nd alternator and charging my 20kW house batteries. It looks like there are many ways to achieve that though, so I'm not all bent up over it. Worst case I'll buy a small rat and feed it cocaine every time it presses the button after the van starts. Should work well.

·
Registered
938 Posts
My B2B charger continues to deliver charge to the house batteries even during engine stop as long as the ignition is on. I use the IGN signal as I did not want the charge cycle resetting during start/sop.

·
Registered
661 Posts
My B2B charger continues to deliver charge to the house batteries even during engine stop as long as the ignition is on. I use the IGN signal as I did not want the charge cycle resetting during start/sop.
My 2nd alternator will run at 56V, so that's not an option for me since the two agm engine batteries are 12V. But it might work for some.

21 - 40 of 76 Posts