Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read in another thread that you could 'delete' this function with the ambulance package. Sadly that's a detail I missed when I optioned my van that's currently in a scheduling WEEK. Am I correct in assuming that the dealer can't deactivate it?

If not, are there some aftermarket or home programming shenanigans that can do it? I'm just reading up on FORSCAN now.

I've got a Tacoma and some clever owners came up with a DIY solution to simulating the ECT (more power mode) button being "pressed" when the car was started.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Yes a dealer (really a knowledgeable technician) could disable start/stop. A dealer would have to document they disabled a mandatory factory system, most are not willing to do this.

You will probably have to wait for Forscan to define the 2020 Transit more if it's not already there.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Once you start the Transit and push the button, it turns OFF the Start/Stop feature as long as the van is running. Once you turn the key OFF, then the system goes off and if you restart it, you have to hit the button again to deactivate Start/Stop.

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
Once you start the Transit and push the button, it turns OFF the Start/Stop feature as long as the van is running. Once you turn the key OFF, then the system goes off and if you restart it, you have to hit the button again to deactivate Start/Stop.
That was the same as the Porsche. Annoying because sometimes I would forget to hit the button to disable the feature. The other problem was when I would drive one of my other cars I would reach to turn the system off.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone for the responses.

As confirmed by CVM, the setting is lost when it's turned off which isn't acceptable for me. I'll look into asking my dealer to disable it before I drive it off the lot. If not then FORSCAN or some pcb and resistors to simulate the button press as I've done to my Tacoma.

·
Registered
923 Posts
In the BEMM there is a way to ground a circuit that bypasses auto start stop and Smart Regenerative Charging. Ford says not to do it permanently but it sounds like a legal matter.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
410 Posts
Anyone get the ambulance pkg. and confirm there is no stop start or that you can turn it off permanently?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Im always surprised by this topic and how many people want it to be disabled. I have 2 vehicles that have it ( Cadillac, and a Ford) and I personally have no issue with it. It works seamlessly. Ive read all the complaints and concerns about it,
If in the beginning of cardom, cars were built with Start/Stop Technology and they switched over to cars that ran all the time, you would then hear all the complaints about that. " im going to be wasting fuel" My engine is going to wear out sooner" I realize people hate change, but is this really that bad? Maybe I tolerate things better

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
Im always surprised by this topic and how many people want it to be disabled. I have 2 vehicles that have it ( Cadillac, and a Ford) and I personally have no issue with it. It works seamlessly. Ive read all the complaints and concerns about it,
If in the beginning of cardom, cars were built with Start/Stop Technology and they switched over to cars that ran all the time, you would then hear all the complaints about that. " im going to be wasting fuel" My engine is going to wear out sooner" I realize people hate change, but is this really that bad? Maybe I tolerate things better
Maybe it depends on how well it is engineered. On the Porsche the system would shut off the engine while car was still rolling and then try to restart it while still moving. This provided very expensive sounds. I am not sure it reduces wear. Suspect that starting and stopping the engine regularly is not good for long term reliability. For sure it reduces the life of the starter and battery.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
I do not want 10x the wear on my starter.

I do not want the AC compressor to stop when it's 105°F outside at a red light or stop and go traffic.

I do not want to push a button every time I start the vehicle just to disable it.

I highly doubt the aftermarket will produce a programmer to disable it like other very popular vehicles. The Transit is not that popular in aftermarket. If it was, we would have TPMS programming and many tuning tools available like the F150. Forscan is all we have, for some that's acceptable enough.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Not to be contrary but maybe informative..

The start/stop does not engage when climate control cannot be maintained and Ford claims the starter and battery have been enhanced to deal with the extra cycles. It only stops when you come to a complete stop with pressure on the brake and in drive. It starts when you begin to ease pressure on the brake pedal and is ready to go before you can press the accelerator. If it stops and I want the engine running again I can ease a bit on the brake and it starts right up and keeps running. So far it has not irritated me and I am getting used to it. I have my B2B charger triggered by IGN so as not to cycle the charger during start/stop.

·
Registered
131 Posts
In the BEMM there is a way to ground a circuit that bypasses auto start stop and Smart Regenerative Charging. Ford says not to do it permanently but it sounds like a legal matter.

This is what i was thinking since when the button is pushed, an "OFF" light comes on. This likely means all that button does is close a circuit. So a simple 'time delay on' relay would work also. Such relays are cheap and would act like an automatic (electronic) button pusher, momentarily after start.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Hang on. Most of the buttons/controls in the Transit are stateless. That is to say they are sensors that signal the control module to do something rather than holding the state by being "flipped" or "pushed in". I would guess that the ECM upon startup checks for conditions that would override the start stop (like being in park, outside temp above a certain threshold, coolant temp below a threshold, battery SOC sufficient, electrical loads in bounds, etc) and then proceed in start/stop mode until it senses the press of the button or some other override condition is sensed. If I were to attempt this Take a look at page 77 of the BEMM under "Third Party High Power Mode".

·
Registered
923 Posts
I have not tried this myself but I have seen folks with Ford pickups disable start stop by applying a load to the 12v on the trailer wiring connector causing the vehicle to stay in tow mode which disables start/start. I've not tried this myself and I don't know what other effects trailer drive mode brings with it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I do not want 10x the wear on my starter.

I do not want the AC compressor to stop when it's 105°F outside at a red light or stop and go traffic.

I do not want to push a button every time I start the vehicle just to disable it.

I highly doubt the aftermarket will produce a programmer to disable it like other very popular vehicles. The Transit is not that popular in aftermarket. If it was, we would have TPMS programming and many tuning tools available like the F150. Forscan is all we have, for some that's acceptable enough.
The auto manufacturers took all of that into concideration, hence, non of it applys. So its a moot point

1 - 20 of 76 Posts