Ford Transit USA Forum banner
41 - 60 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Banzai-88; you should get a JDM HiAce as your van!
View attachment 162597
We actually measured it, the really really small honda Acty vans could fit inside a high roof long wheelbase transit if there were no wheel wells poking through!

I've seen your name all over transit USA and it's awesome you have commented on mine! In Japan, the van culture there is much muchhhh differnent. Check it out in the link!!

stancenation.com/car-features/slammed/not-your-typical-vans/

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
on my way back to CA from picking up my van in MO, I had creeped up to 100 without knowing it. No one else on the interstate at that time of night, I thought I might have still been going 80 (trying to reach the next rest stop for sleepytime), I looked down and the needle was tickling 100. Didn't seem sketchy at all.
100 is no joke in the transit, I still pride myself on 117, but once I get the new engine in, whichever that might be, and I get it lowered, I hope to someday touch 150 as the original super transit did, or higher...

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Banzai-88; you should get a JDM HiAce as your van!
Maybe a Class A conversion Coaster instead. Available soon under the 25 year rule you could import a Gen3 series hybrid EV version with a 1.5l generator engine. Prius would be a more appropriate toad. I suppose a turbo diesel would be more suited to towing a Century. Heck go for one of the AWD version. You know, I kinda like that idea. Replacemet parts? I don't need no stinkin' parts, it's a Toyota.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Maybe a Class A conversion Coaster instead. Available soon under the 25 year rule you could import a Gen3 series hybrid EV version with a 1.5l generator engine. Prius would be a more appropriate toad. I suppose a turbo diesel would be more suited to towing a Century. Heck go for one of the AWD version. You know, I kinda like that idea. Replacemet parts? I don't need no stinkin' parts, it's a Toyota.
I do love how reliable the old Toyotas are. Centuries are notoriously reliable with super low reviving V12's. They were super overbuilt so in the case, the emperor was being transported, there were never any problems or breakdowns. The one I got has just over 20,000 miles so it's super mint. There are parts here and there that do get shared with the century such as the oil filter is off of tundra and the brake pads are Camry brakes etc.

That Coaster is super cool. I can't imagine how much it would cost to get to the states. As of now I think being a high school, almost college student, two cars is plenty but I'll have to write that down for later!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
So yesterday before work I was mocking up the new intercooler. Looks like I'm going to have to mount it upside down. Thankfully I have Thursday-Sunday off of work and that should give me plenty of time to get it mounted along with all the other goodies I have right now.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Land vehicle

I was looking at how to mount it bracket wise and I got some 1/4 inch aluminum that I am going to bend and hang it from the bumper and then some thinner 1/16th inch material to act as a stabilizer in the lower two mounting spots. The top two will support the entire weight as the lower two will be held in place just so it doesn't wiggle around and mess up any fins or such. There is a little diagram below. As I said, I hope to have this completed by Saturday, if not Friday. I'll also run the extended charge pipe in between the bottom of the bumper and the top of the front subframe cross member.
Rectangle Handwriting Schematic Slope Font

·
Registered
2019 250 Cargo MR LWB Quigley CCV pop-top
236 Posts
Leave it to the Aussies! Bus 4x4 Motorhome Conversion of Coaster

·
Registered
92 Posts
Re: To anyone who ask "why?"... Power corrupts, right? There is no such thing as 'too much horsepower.' Jeez... 😉
Seriously though, I think the issue with the Transit would be heat management. Any extra horsepower produces more heat and it has to be dealt with. I can imagine a heavily modified Transit having serious heat soak issues, compared to a pickup. But keep us in the loop.
-B
Howdy y'all,
...snip...
I am looking to squeeze a bit more out of this engine and ...snip...

·
Registered
8,265 Posts
That would be one of the advantages of the mid engine approach I suggested. 😁
A cab and chassis with an open air crate motor mounted behind the cab would solve a lot of problems. And would likely balance the Transit better for handling on corners. The gas tank would have to be relocated to the now empty area under the hood.

·
Registered
2019 250 148 mr
461 Posts
A cab and chassis with an open air crate motor mounted behind the cab would solve a lot of problems. And would likely balance the Transit better for handling on corners. The gas tank would have to be relocated to the now empty area under the hood.
The fuel tank could also go in the spare tire location as I doubt this theoretical machine would need a spare tire.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
The gas tank would have to be relocated to the now empty area under the hood.
How about where the transmission/driveshaft was. Lower polar moment and CG, better crash safety, leaves lots of room for airflow for radiator. . That's where it was in the rear engine Delorean. Chapman's guys know a thing or two about this stuff. More importantly it leaves room for those electric motors driving the front wheels.

IIRC the Honda Fit has the gas tank under the drivers seat to make room for the well that the "magic seat" folds into.

·
Registered
ordered 9-27-21 130" LR Crew EB R1Z order confirmed 10-8-21
370 Posts
We actually measured it, the really really small honda Acty vans could fit inside a high roof long wheelbase transit if there were no wheel wells poking through!

I've seen your name all over transit USA and it's awesome you have commented on mine! In Japan, the van culture there is much muchhhh differnent. Check it out in the link!!

stancenation.com/car-features/slammed/not-your-typical-vans/
So did I read this right ----Surley Bill has a fan? ---------------o_O -------Next Up Rod Serling visits as a moderator .

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
How about where the transmission/driveshaft was. Lower polar moment and CG, better crash safety, leaves lots of room for airflow for radiator. . That's where it was in the rear engine Delorean. Chapman's guys know a thing or two about this stuff. More importantly it leaves room for those electric motors driving the front wheels.

IIRC the Honda Fit has the gas tank under the drivers seat to make room for the well that the "magic seat" folds into.
A lot of good points right here!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Tire Wheel Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Car

This is how the van looks at the moment with the new intercooler installed. It's mounted a bit differently than in the drawing being directly mounted to the bottom of the bumper with little aluminum supports that go from the bottom mounts and put tension on it and those mount to where the lower bumper did mount. It held up pretty well in this past weekend of testing. Talking about heating. I am retrofitting the two vents on top of the hood to be more functional. If you see under the passenger headlight there is a slit and both of my air filters are placed in there.

Had a few drag races this weekend, van beat a base model Camaro, a BMW 335i, and a Chevy Trail Boss driven by a very cocky firefighter lol. I am not too interested in drag racing but more into Touge racing. There are a ton of really great runs here around Chattanooga and once I get my youtube channel set up, I'll start uploading weekly and y'all can judge my driving. Suck Creek is the main one and it averages at 60-70mph, the front of Signal Mtn. is much more tame and is usually a more 40-50 road. I have a GoPro Hero 9 mounted on the inside of my windshield but I am trying to find more interesting angles that would give a better judgment of speed.

I plan to paint the bumper and a few other things up in the front wheel wells black to make it look a little slicker and the van is going to its first show at Myrtle beach this upcoming weekend. But as we move into the new year new wheels and tires are on the list and I hope to have those by the end of the year!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Re: To anyone who ask "why?"... Power corrupts, right? There is no such thing as 'too much horsepower.' Jeez... 😉
Seriously though, I think the issue with the Transit would be heat management. Any extra horsepower produces more heat and it has to be dealt with. I can imagine a heavily modified Transit having serious heat soak issues, compared to a pickup. But keep us in the loop.
-B
So far I have had pretty good luck with not overheating even with driving mountain roads at 60-70mph for quite some time. Having functioning hood vents (or no hood at all), a slit under the passenger headlight, and having the intercooler in a different place definitely does help!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Ok let me clarify, You are a student, you work two jobs one of them full time, you work on the van at a incredible pace, you road test it, you take it for drag test, you post about it. I suppose ,since you are alive, you eat, my question is ...when do you sleep? :ROFLMAO: Can't wait to see where this is going!

·
Registered
2019 HR Cargo Oxford White 148 wb 3.7L
558 Posts
“My dear, here we must run as fast as we can, just to stay in place. And if you wish to go anywhere you must run twice as fast as that.”

― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
So yesterday before work I was mocking up the new intercooler. Looks like I'm going to have to mount it upside down. Thankfully I have Thursday-Sunday off of work and that should give me plenty of time to get it mounted along with all the other goodies I have right now. View attachment 162799
I was looking at how to mount it bracket wise and I got some 1/4 inch aluminum that I am going to bend and hang it from the bumper and then some thinner 1/16th inch material to act as a stabilizer in the lower two mounting spots. The top two will support the entire weight as the lower two will be held in place just so it doesn't wiggle around and mess up any fins or such. There is a little diagram below. As I said, I hope to have this completed by Saturday, if not Friday. I'll also run the extended charge pipe in between the bottom of the bumper and the top of the front subframe cross member.
View attachment 162800
Nice but I'd be worried that it would get torn off hanging down there. The OEM IC gives me nightmares.

Heat management is going to be your biggest challenge. The OEM headers are at their limit as supplied and many fail through thermal cycling and a so-so design, Getting more and cooler coolant through the block is the next issue and last but not least managing IAT with intercooling.

I'd look hard at using 2 smaller Air/Water IC, (one per turbo) that's what most OEM's and racing teams are doing for high output turbo motors.

Air/water I/C's don't heat soak like air/air so will sustain much lower IAT's at high load. Having two smaller ones with short pressure-side piping has multiple advantages over one big one - faster spool, much less of an issue with compressor surge, more placement options. The water-sides plumb right into the new and much bigger main radiator that you are going to need anyway - with a couple of dedicated water pumps, that you should run through the turbo's after it exits the IC's

I get to compare the two options on my AMG and my VR4. My VR4 has an IC per turbo but they need miles of pressure-side piping so compressor surge is a non issue but boost lag is noticeable. Meanwhile the Air/water IC's on my AMG are right in front of the each cylinder bank, right behind the radiator fan. The total pressure-side plumbing is about 12" tops. Boost is instantaneous and it will sustain high boost/high load without needing to pull timing or add fuel.

If I was to do my VR4 again, that's the option I'd pick - and I may even do that anyway at some point.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
So far I have had pretty good luck with not overheating even with driving mountain roads at 60-70mph for quite some time. Having functioning hood vents (or no hood at all), a slit under the passenger headlight, and having the intercooler in a different place definitely does help!
Its late fall, temps are not a factor now but spring and summer are a whole different thing.

That's how I bent a rod and span its bearing on my 3000GT. This was a fully built, all forged motor with massive cooling upgrades, low latency sensors, etc., etc. an AEM V2 ECU managing everything and 20hrs on a constant load dyno. BUT - we set it up and tested it during the winter months. All was great 23lb of boost, conservative 650HP/620ftlb at the crank, IAT's looking great and chirping all 4 tires all the way through 3rd. It was rock solid, so I stopped data logging it.

Then on a hot day in May, while hooning around the local canyons, the temps got away from the trim tables' ability to pull timing, add fuel and pull boost to manage detonation. So boom, clatter, clatter, a trailer ride home and $8,000 for a full rebuild :(

41 - 60 of 86 Posts