Ford Transit USA Forum banner
21 - 40 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
I think you will find as of now that NOBODY is selling anything that deletes cats. Everyone who is anyone in the industry is getting major fines and a lot of companies just stopped selling built parts and will sell you tubing and thats it. But I agree with your dare to be different idea!

·
Registered
68 Posts
I think you will find as of now that NOBODY is selling anything that deletes cats. Everyone who is anyone in the industry is getting major fines and a lot of companies just stopped selling built parts and will sell you tubing and thats it. But I agree with your dare to be different idea!
Just park it is San Francisco overnight, you might find that your cat will be deleted in the morning

·
Registered
8,265 Posts
Just park it is San Francisco overnight, you might find that your cat will be deleted in the morning
Or in about any city anywhere on the Best Coast. I'm assuming this is also an issue on the Beast Coast?

·
Registered
8,265 Posts
The cats on the Transit are hard to cut out unless you also open the hood, but that doesn't stop some tweaker from F'ing things up trying from underneath.

Reactions: cosmicjumperalex

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
So... you've gone through all the work of a new intercooler and all the custom piping then the E85 tuning (which is not trivial and well beyond the capabilities of the vast majority of Transit owners) but building a custom exhaust is tripping you up? Because of the tight access or some other technical reason? Drop the subframe and you have all the access you need.

Aside from that...the Transit's Ecoboost is nearly identical to all of the Gen I 3.5L Ecoboosts in other Ford vehicles. The biggest differences are within the PCM. The operating system for the Transit is a simplified (dumbed down) version of others.

A Coyote swap would fun. Gonna be pretty tight fit though. Coyote is wider and longer than the 3.5L. I say you do it! A lot of folks told me I would never fit a 6.7L Cummins in an E-series van but I did and it's awesome! :)
Thank you bruv! Yes a coyote is very tight, Would obviously need custom engine mounts that more importantly lower the engine to clear the bottom of the windshield. Would definitely have to tube the front end and fiddle around with the location of different cooling components but I am pretty dead set on it!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I was exactly where you are 2 years ago. I have a lifetime of building high boost turbo motors, including this "mildly tuned" 650HP '94 3000GT

View attachment 162393

I did a deep dive and came up with the view that the EB 3.5 should be easily capable of 550AWHP. I was happily hooning around in my Transit while I was plotting my upgrades. However, I started to figure out 2 key issues. The first is that Transits become parachutes above 70MPH, which means that at 550WHP, I'd be getting 8-9MPG if I actually used it and <<200 miles per tank. The other was that I wanted bullet proof reliability while towing the above on a trailer to track days - and the >>400 torques that the Transit came with, was more than enough to get the job done, reliably and with decent range between tanks.
I have removed the speed limiter and everything about 90 gets really scary. On a very mild day on I75 heading back to Chattanooga from Knoxville, I hit 117 on a downhill and it was horrifying lmao! And I love 3000gt's! That's what my dad drove for the longest time!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I completely agree. I get bored of the same ol, same ol including the 60's muscle cars. A few decades ago, I had (a shop built it, not me) a huge turbo (with huge lag) bolted to a Grand Caravan. To me, the photo below is more attention getting and cooler than a perfectly restored classic muscle car. So yeah, I fully understand why you want to mod your Transit although I have no worthwhile tech advice.

View attachment 162402

I had a top mount intercooler fed by that Subaru STi hood scoop.

View attachment 162404
It was fun but I'm older now and like others have mentioned, my main goal with the Transit is reliability. Plus the Caravan was lowered with firmer suspension and handled curves much better than the Transit. My skill level is already overshadowed by my Transit's stock power, more would just lead me into trouble.
That is so sweet, I have done some measuring, I believe with a tube front end and some custom engine mounts that would lower the engine, I can and most likely will, fit a twin-turbo coyote in my van if I go with a front engine build.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I appreciate it! From the Chattanooga car community, I have received a ton of positive feedback from using a van as the base and I really love all the feedback from this thread so far!

·
Registered
8,265 Posts
I have removed the speed limiter and everything about 90 gets really scary. On a very mild day on I75 heading back to Chattanooga from Knoxville, I hit 117 on a downhill and it was horrifying lmao! And I love 3000gt's! That's what my dad drove for the longest time!
on my way back to CA from picking up my van in MO, I had creeped up to 100 without knowing it. No one else on the interstate at that time of night, I thought I might have still been going 80 (trying to reach the next rest stop for sleepytime), I looked down and the needle was tickling 100. Didn't seem sketchy at all.

Reactions: Schnits

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
So this will be an official update. I am a car photographer as well with being in high school and working one other job. This Saturday the van will get all the new parts I currently have in my room put on and I will be able to get some professional pictures for y'all to show you what I am working with + photos of the exhaust and how good it sounds with the pop tune... because it truly sounds wild for a transit van. I plan to ask for a draggy for Christmas so I can get 0-60 times and other stats. I have been touge racing the van (mountain racing) to the best of my ability and have been slowly building up a stache of vids to start posting on here and on my Instagram. Currently, my timeline goes as follows. E85 + wheels + tires in mid-march/April. Between now and then I am going to post updates and other little things that people who are doing the same will be interested in. In May, my new car, from japan (1997 Toyota Century) arrives and it will be my new daily. The van will get taken apart, gutted, engine sold and the final decision of front-engine vs mid-engine will be made. I have decided to run 100% methanol if I run with the mid-engine. Cooling will be limited and either way, I will have to cut a hole in the driver side for an intake for the engine and cooling for the radiator.

The front-engine version will have a 5.0L Twin Turbo Coyote with a build 6r80 (converted to 4r200) running on E85

The mid-engine version will have a 9.0L 120mm Procharged V8 with a 2 speed Powerglide running on 100% Methanol.

As I have mentioned, I am in high school, working part-time and a full-time job. I will try to update as much as possible and respond to all messages as fast I can!

Cheers,
-Grant

·
Registered
3,789 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Just what every emperor, yakuza and American high school gearhead needs for a DD.
You might like this Toyota Hilux Twin-Turbo V12 Borrows Engine From Century Sedan
I was born in Japan so it is quite fitting. I did start a little car group called the emperor’s club in Chattanooga. It's small but it's definitely getting somewhere. Eventually, I want to get matching paint (midnight black) and matching wheels for the van and the century and tow the century to shows with the van.

the car is currently sitting at my "grandpa's" (long story short he adopted me so I could inherit his business because his biological son didn't want it). He's a little old Japanese dude and has basically no ability with technology but I'll try to get my aunt to send me a photo of it!!

·
Registered
8,265 Posts
Banzai-88; you should get a JDM HiAce as your van!
Automotive parking light Cloud Tire Vehicle registration plate Wheel

21 - 40 of 86 Posts