Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy y'all,

I'm new here and have been fiddling with my Transit for the past few months. It's a 2017 Ford Transit 350XLT Medium Roof 3.5 Ecoboost. The mod list goes as follows:
  • Wheels and tires
  • Lift
  • Mishimoto Intercooler and charge pipes
  • Custom Exhaust
  • Custom Intake
  • Custom Tune
  • 93 Performance Tune, Makes 425WHP, 408 Pound foot, 22 Pounds of boost

I am looking to squeeze a bit more out of this engine and I plan on doing an XDI HPFP and E85 compatible injectors and since E85 on a boosted engine adds on average 20% more HP, I am looking at hitting 510 to the wheel.

Along with doing the E85, I would like to put a Catless downpipe on the van along with the turbos. I know there are plenty of built/bigger turbos for the 3.5 platform and there are a few options for downpipes for the F-150 but not the transit. Looking at the transit, it is an absolutely atrocious time getting the downpipe off but running the tune I am now, it's is only going to be a matter of time before the cat blows up / turbos fail. After these few things, I will be done with working on the 3.5 platforms and will be switching to the 5.0 Coyote (custom twin-turbo set up) in the van, but that swaps for a different thread.

As of right now, does anyone have any idea where I could get a downpipe or what the easiest way to go catless would be?

Hoping to have photos and links to videos on the 20th (the rest of the parts I am waiting for will show up)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool, but why?
Honestly, not too sure. I'm a big car guy and have had a few project cars but I am really tired of just seeing the same car build over and over again. You go to car meets and see the same Miata, and BRZ, and Subaru and just over and over. And don't get me wrong, but like, why not do something different. I've taken the van to a few meets and I've never had so many people walk up and ask questions. It's what the car community needs is just a little diversity and I'd love to be the Catalyst to that!!

·
Registered
2021 Ford Transit 148" AWD 3.5L MR Passenger
27 Posts
I may be wrong, but it seems most on this website use their van for traveling or work, so most probably prefer reliability over power. I don't think I've seen any other threads about squeezing the most power out of the 3.5. In my opinion, the 3.5 Transit moves pretty good for a giant box. More power is pretty far down my list of wants for my van.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I may be wrong, but it seems most on this website use their van for traveling or work, so most probably prefer reliability over power. I don't think I've seen any other threads about squeezing the most power out of the 3.5. In my opinion, the 3.5 Transit moves pretty good for a giant box. More power is pretty far down my list of wants for my van.
It does, and that seems to be the case there. I don't know I thought I might be able to spark a few people's minds to go to new reaches with them, following in the footsteps of Ford's Super Transit in the 1970s which was mid-engine with a super-charged engine out of a Gt40.

I have been Tōge racing in the van, and have had decent success for a big ole box.

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
So... you've gone through all the work of a new intercooler and all the custom piping then the E85 tuning (which is not trivial and well beyond the capabilities of the vast majority of Transit owners) but building a custom exhaust is tripping you up? Because of the tight access or some other technical reason? Drop the subframe and you have all the access you need.

Aside from that...the Transit's Ecoboost is nearly identical to all of the Gen I 3.5L Ecoboosts in other Ford vehicles. The biggest differences are within the PCM. The operating system for the Transit is a simplified (dumbed down) version of others.

A Coyote swap would fun. Gonna be pretty tight fit though. Coyote is wider and longer than the 3.5L. I say you do it! A lot of folks told me I would never fit a 6.7L Cummins in an E-series van but I did and it's awesome! :)

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Honestly, not too sure. I'm a big car guy and have had a few project cars but I am really tired of just seeing the same car build over and over again. You go to car meets and see the same Miata, and BRZ, and Subaru and just over and over. And don't get me wrong, but like, why not do something different. I've taken the van to a few meets and I've never had so many people walk up and ask questions. It's what the car community needs is just a little diversity and I'd love to be the Catalyst to that!!
I was exactly where you are 2 years ago. I have a lifetime of building high boost turbo motors, including this "mildly tuned" 650HP '94 3000GT

Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive air manifold Hood

I did a deep dive and came up with the view that the EB 3.5 should be easily capable of 550AWHP. I was happily hooning around in my Transit while I was plotting my upgrades. However, I started to figure out 2 key issues. The first is that Transits become parachutes above 70MPH, which means that at 550WHP, I'd be getting 8-9MPG if I actually used it and <<200 miles per tank. The other was that I wanted bullet proof reliability while towing the above on a trailer to track days - and the >>400 torques that the Transit came with, was more than enough to get the job done, reliably and with decent range between tanks.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
You go to car meets and see the same Miata, and BRZ, and Subaru and just over and over. And don't get me wrong, but like, why not do something different.
I completely agree. I get bored of the same ol, same ol including the 60's muscle cars. A few decades ago, I had (a shop built it, not me) a huge turbo (with huge lag) bolted to a Grand Caravan. To me, the photo below is more attention getting and cooler than a perfectly restored classic muscle car. So yeah, I fully understand why you want to mod your Transit although I have no worthwhile tech advice.

Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Car Land vehicle Wheel

I actually want to go with a top mount intercooler but NOT for performance but to get the low hanging testicle of the intercooler away from rock impacts.
I had a top mount intercooler fed by that Subaru STi hood scoop.

Car Vehicle Grille Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

It was fun but I'm older now and like others have mentioned, my main goal with the Transit is reliability. Plus the Caravan was lowered with firmer suspension and handled curves much better than the Transit. My skill level is already overshadowed by my Transit's stock power, more would just lead me into trouble.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I actually want to go with a top mount intercooler but NOT for performance but to get the low hanging testicle of the intercooler away from rock impacts.
Now that I am out of warranty it is time to start playing around with how to make it happen.
Same here, but not out of warranty yet. I was thinking of going air/water for packaging and shorter plumbing.

·
Registered
8,227 Posts
I think you could put a 454 crate motor right behind the front seats and tune it up to 850hp. This guy put a 500ci in his Corvair van.
Tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Wheel Automotive lighting

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
including this "mildly tuned" 650HP '94 3000GT
That is very nice! I have a '00 Audi S4 and played tag at Road America with some girl in a 3000VR4. The power and weight of my moderately tuned S4 was comparable to the stock 3000 VR4. The bigger factor of course was that our skill levels matched. Your car as well as your skill would leave me in the dust.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts