Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wasn't able to find any info on this specific issue so...

Vehicle drove fine 3 weeks ago. Had a tender hooked up for long term storage. Battery was disconnected for a a few days while replacing an existing backup camera and installing a new head unit (tender was not left connected). Used all factory harnesses (did not change any grounding points, or splice into any wires). Reconnect everything today and a little hiccup when it first idled. Figured it would be a good idea to drive it around the block as it's been sitting. Threw a P0610 code as soon as I left the driveway and experienced shifting problems, vehicle died once, and barely made it back. All installed electronics work as they should.

Any known issues with the battery being disconnected leading to PCM issues? I find it hard to believe the radio created this issue, and think it is more likely associated with the disconnect/reconnect process (disconnected negative terminal only) or the fact that it was disconnected long enough for the PCM to lose it's stored memory. Anyone else experience this?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
That is normal when ever the battery is unhooked for a while, The Pcm loses its memory and has to relearn shifting to match your driving style.
Gear shifting while the Pcm is learning can sometime be a little frightening, Mine when it was new dropped from 6th gear to second gear when I punched to pass a car. This only happened once and it has shifted fine every since.
I think it only takes about a day of driving to for the Pcm to relearn

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Just sitting shouldn't have caused anything like that. I have had my battery disconnected for two weeks and it was fine.
I have even used Forescan to delete the stored adaptations in the PCM and it ran and shifted fine.
Try unhooking the radio and retest perhaps? I would find it odd that an aftermarket radio would throw a code like that too but it seem the only other variable to look at right now.

So you have an adapter harness that plugged the factory radio harness into your aftermarket radio harness?

The stock radio seems to be pretty integrated into the CAN, maybe something got pinched... googling that code...

Faulty PCM
PCM programming error
Open or shorted circuit or connectors in the CAN harness
Failed PCM power source
Insufficient control module ground

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for the replies, an update:

Disconnected the battery for 2 mins, disconnected the new head unit. Reconnected battery and test drove. Still slipped while accelerating, but not as badly as last night. Drive 2-3 miles, still experiencing some shuddering in the transmission, but did not throw any codes. Pulled over, turned off vehicle, reconnected the stereo, and same: Still a little shuddering in the transmission, but it is becoming less frequent. Still not throwing any codes.

I talked to an experienced mechanic and at this point am leaning towards Michael's reply: The PCM probably needs to re-learn all of the shift points given the battery was disconnected for an extended period of time and the PCM memory was probably reset. Will be putting some more miles on in the coming days and will update with a (hopefully) final resolution.

Note this is a 2015 transit with 112,000 miles, so the high miles may have something to do with it, but figured this could be helpful for others if they come across the same symptoms.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts