Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I checked some past posts but didn't find what I'm looking for so: 2018 Transit with air bag switch in glove box. If I turn this off does it disable all three passenger air bags (dash, B pillar, right side seat back) or only the one in the dash?
I was under the impression it was only for the dash airbag for when smaller people were in the seat. I just recently came across a person who thought it disables all three. I had mine shut off with the dash switch which lites up the "air bag off" light in the center of the dash (by radio) and then removed the seat to install a swivel. This meant I had to disconnect the two wire connector under the seat. While the seat was out another airbag light came on in the dash cluster, I'm assuming due to the two wire undersea connector. So, does anyone know?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2016 owners manual says the switch is for the FRONT passenger seat.
Do you that this to mean all three airbags to protect the passenger are disabled? My '18 manual says that the front passenger airbag on/off switch has indicators indicating that the front passenger FRONTAL airbag is either off or on. This tell me only the airbag in the dash is turned off not the other two. Trying to get verification one way or the other as I've been told by other Transit owners they understand this to mean all three airbags are deactivated.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Mountain Goat,

In regards to your airbag light coming on after disconnecting wiring under front passenger seat, As explained to me by Ford when mine remained on due to a loose wire under driver's seat, the light being on indicates a fault in the system and ALL airbags are non functioning until fault is fixed and light goes off. They advised it is a safety precaution so that an airbag can't be triggered accidentally for some reason other than what they were designed for.
I have swiveling transfer seats, so airbag in seats are inoperable, up fitter had to install a replacement OEM approved bypass connecter so the rest of the system would work.
Other members might disagree but I'm just advising what I was told by Ford and my up fitter.

Semper Fi

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mountain Goat,

In regards to your airbag light coming on after disconnecting wiring under front passenger seat, As explained to me by Ford when mine remained on due to a loose wire under driver's seat, the light being on indicates a fault in the system and ALL airbags are non functioning until fault is fixed and light goes off. They advised it is a safety precaution so that an airbag can't be triggered accidentally for some reason other than what they were designed for.
I have swiveling transfer seats, so airbag in seats are inoperable, up fitter had to install a replacement OEM approved bypass connecter so the rest of the system would work.
Other members might disagree but I'm just advising what I was told by Ford and my up fitter.

Semper Fi
Thanks, That's good info to know about all airbags being disabled if the dash light is on due to one being disconnected. Having installed a swivel in my passenger seat is how I discovered all this. Mine are all connected so I assume working but would like to disconnect the right in seat and curtain airbags since the passenger seat is reversed 99% of the time. Don't suppose you have the bypass connector part number(s)? I'm also planing installing a Propex propane heater under the passenger seat and would like to eliminate the wires altogether.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Mountain Goat,

Sorry I don't have a part number for you, work was done by an up fitter.

Semper Fi

1 - 7 of 7 Posts