Ford Transit USA Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a passenger van and wish i had purchased the cargo van for a couple of reasons: first, i don’t need all the seats, and i was unable to sell them so they are hanging in the rafters of the garage. Second, the bed mounts i designed attach to pillars that are behind the interior panels. It would have been much simpler to work with a cargo van.
Hi Rimcanyon, I'm looking for a double seat let me know if you still have one, I'm in the SF bay area. Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Having a passenger v(XLT 350 12p) I can say I was a little nervous kitting it out. Knowing my 3 daughters will be traveling with my wife and I, I am glad we opted for the passenger van. Airbags/AC/floor heat have been so far awesome. Still in the thick of the build but is slowly coming together. Most recent addition are the bed rails and insulation on roof behind headliner and trim panneling. (Still waiting to build 3 pannel bed frame). Personally enjoy the windows other than you loose a bit of warmth without window coverings but can be made and work great. Pros and cons varry on what you plan to do and are capable of doing. Regardless, once you take the dive you won't regret it with either passenger or cargo van.
Are you going to put back the original trim/paneling? Or are you going to replace it with something else?
I have a 2019 in the same configuration that I am planning on adding some modifications and really appreciate your pictures of what is behind the panels.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I am glad I purchased the 350HD dually passenger van. So far it has met the majority of my needs. The Cargo van would have been much more limiting.

1. With the majority of the seats out, I use the van for moving large items: Appliances, lumber - up to 12" long will fit inside the van. 4x8 and 4x10 sheets of drywall and plywood fit inside without issue.
2. I can quickly install a raised bed platfom I build/threw together and take the van on cross country treks or weekend get aways, and keep all items I carry inside the van. (It really is nice to be able to stand up in the van with plenty of room to walk around.)
3. I usually keep one 3-seater in the van, for the occasional transport of others.
4. I'll put in a second row of seats, and in the summer have taken 7 of us on weekend Mtb or road cycling trips. I put on a rack on the back with 4 bikes and can still put up to 4 bikes inside, along with camping gear and my platform bed.
5. Having all the windows is nice when you have passengers.
6. I haven't wanted to modify the interrior because I will wait to see how much these vans depreciate ofer time. If I modify/convert it to more of an RV, I am sure it will be worth a lot less.

I really do dislike having all the spare seats in the garage. They are heavy, take up a lot of space, and one has to keep them covered bacause they are dust magnets.

·
Registered
13 Posts
After reading a lot of posts I decided an eco boost engine was a must-have. After about 10k miles of travel with that engine I’m so glad I held out until I found one. It has tons of power when I need it and gets very good mileage on a trip at just under 20 mpg if I keep my foot off the gas. I live in Idaho; good deals on vans are not abundant so when a low mile Ford certified used eco boost passenger van came up for sale in town I jumped on it. I copied a Sportsmobile layout with dinette in the back with galley cabinets on each side. I’m far from an expert craftsman, but there is so much information on laying down a floor and adding insulation it really wasn’t that hard. I added a Colorado Camper pop-top. My van is 8 feet tall with pop-top. I have rear AC from the back two remaining ceiling vents. The windows are really nice giving an open feel. My wife sewed blackout curtains and made blackout inserts for the back windows and sliding door using foam core cut out to match the window shape. Pop the top and it is like a cathedral in there. An added second battery under the seat services an ARB fridge. I haven’t added a Maxxfan, yet. The pop top comes prewired for a Maxxfan. If we do much camping with the pop top down the Maxxfan will become important.

I hope that some day the industry comes up with a replacement window that opens for a passenger van. I would be fine with just the window over the driver side galley open with screen.

When I can afford it I will replace the audio system with a bigger screen, better sound, and more features.

Net net. I’m really happy with the passenger van.
I am curious about your pop top. Did you remove your rear air bags to instal the pop top?

jeff

21 - 24 of 24 Posts